5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD auto?

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I don’t know anything about 4WD. It started raining pretty bad here. With that said, there was wheel spin when I took off at the light. I didn’t punch it and it was on 2WD mode. When it’s heavy rain, am I suppose to put it on 4WD auto? What’s the high and low for? I believe low is when you have lots of weight and you need to get up at a slow speed.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes... put it in 4WD auto when it rains, or just leave it there permanently; it is meant to be used on the street for daily driving.

4HI and 4LO are for off road only. In both cases, the transfer case "locks" front and rear axles together. The difference in 4LO is you get torque multiplication through gearing.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes... put it in 4WD auto when it rains, or just leave it there permanently; it is meant to be used on the street for daily driving.

4HI and 4LO are for off road only. In both cases, the transfer case "locks" front and rear axles together. The difference in 4LO is you get torque multiplication through gearing.

Thanks man. Really helped out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I would would not leave it on all the time as it engages the front axle causing unnecessary drag and increased fuel consumption. Just turn it on when the weather is crap....

1545864951504.png

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would would not leave it on all the time as it engages the front axle causing unnecessary drag and increased fuel consumption. Just turn it on when the weather is crap....

View attachment 11732
If I understand this correct, I can go into any mode at any time while I’m driving or at a complete stop. With the exemption being 4WD LOW.

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I notice a little binding if I leave in 4wd auto when making tight turns like into a parking spot. My 2014 did not do this even in 4wd lock but I believe the 4wd system was updated if I'm not mistaken.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
I didn't see a location listed for you but 4low also works great to pull yourself out of snow if you get stuck.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I notice a little binding if I leave in 4wd auto when making tight turns like into a parking spot. My 2014 did not do this even in 4wd lock but I believe the 4wd system was updated if I'm not mistaken.

There shouldn't be any binding unless there was some slip and the truck activated 4wd temporarily. If you're on dry pavement, and going slow, the truck should keep itself in Rwd until the rear slips, or until it "predicts" slip, like if you were to jam on the throttle, it would preemptively activate 4wd.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't see a location listed for you but 4low also works great to pull yourself out of snow if you get stuck.
That hasn't been my experience. The low gearing usually is good for 4-wheel spin rather than the relatively low torque needed to get out of snow.

I use 2WD almost all the time. I use 4WD Auto if it's snowing and sticking and traction can be spotty. I use 4Hi if the roads are slick everywhere, but not at highway speeds (if you can go that fast, 2WD is back on). I'll often go back to 4WD Auto when making tight maneuvers, like parking lots. If I were the off-road type, I might go to 4Lo if I were rock crawling.

Your best advantage for good traction is good tires.

Reaction score
There shouldn't be any binding unless there was some slip and the truck activated 4wd temporarily. If you're on dry pavement, and going slow, the truck should keep itself in Rwd until the rear slips, or until it "predicts" slip, like if you were to jam on the throttle, it would preemptively activate 4wd.

I purchased my truck eight days ago and it is currently at the dealership for this same issue. The truck definitely binds in 4WD auto. The 4WD auto and 4WD hi modes behave in exactly the same way. It's been driven by multiple people at the dealership and compared to other trucks on the lot, and there is something wrong. So far they have not been able to diagnose it. Have you had your truck looked at? If so did they find the issue?

On the other trucks we drove on the lot there was no noticeable difference between 2WD and 4WD auto on dry pavement.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased my truck eight days ago and it is currently at the dealership for this same issue. The truck definitely binds in 4WD auto. The 4WD auto and 4WD hi modes behave in exactly the same way. It's been driven by multiple people at the dealership and compared to other trucks on the lot, and there is something wrong. So far they have not been able to diagnose it. Have you had your truck looked at? If so did they find the issue?

On the other trucks we drove on the lot there was no noticeable difference between 2WD and 4WD auto on dry pavement.
Can you be a little more descriptive? What do you mean by "binding"?

Reaction score
Can you be a little more descriptive? What do you mean by "binding"?

In 4wd auto the truck will not move forward through a turn without applying throttle and if you apply any throttle the rear wheels will begin to skip on the pavement. We tested this on the lot with multiple trucks. Basically put the truck in 4wd auto and try to make a 90 degree or more turn while letting the truck roll forward on its own. My truck will not proceed forward through the turn, but other trucks tested will.

Users who are viewing this thread