5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD Auto

ngtmre88

Reaction score
Am I the only one using this feature to launch in the rain with 100% traction? I was extremely skeptical about the quality of it, until I went to Dr. Google and saw some videos and mixed reviews/emotions, and I have to say I am pretty damn impressed with how responsive and how fast it corrects. I literally floor it and it just grabs. Im telling you, with heavy rain and 40+mph winds, this truck is floating like a Cadillac.

Of course all of this was done on a closed track in Mexico..

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I use it sometimes. Works fine for me

BTB123

Reaction score
I just got my Rebel a month ago and that was one main feature I was really looking forward to. I will have to shoot down to Mexico and put it through its paces.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just got my Rebel a month ago and that was one main feature I was really looking forward to. I will have to shoot down to Mexico and put it through its paces.
It’s known that this transfer case isn’t the best for hard core off roading. Just be aware of overheating issues. It uses clutches to operate the 4wd

BTB123

Reaction score
I plan to use it mainly for when the road conditions vary from snow to dry all the time during my drives. On my Tundra I was constantly going in and out of 4WD and having to read the conditions on the fly.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s known that this transfer case isn’t the best for hard core off roading. Just be aware of overheating issues. It uses clutches to operate the 4wd
The first year I had my Built to Serve with 4-auto transfer case, went out to a parking lot with another guy who had a 2020 Rebel without the 4-auto. While we were playing in the snow he had to stop more than once because of his transfer case giving then overheating warning. Mine never had any issues. Of course I was using 4-hi, not 4-auto. But if the Rebel transfer case is supposed to be better that wasn't a good indication to me

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Am I the only one using this feature to launch in the rain with 100% traction? I was extremely skeptical about the quality of it, until I went to Dr. Google and saw some videos and mixed reviews/emotions, and I have to say I am pretty damn impressed with how responsive and how fast it corrects. I literally floor it and it just grabs. Im telling you, with heavy rain and 40+mph winds, this truck is floating like a Cadillac.

Of course all of this was done on a closed track in Mexico..
You're definitely not the only one using 4wd auto. In winter, our truck pretty much stays in that setting for 5 months. During the warmer months it gets used whenever it's raining or when the pavement is wet. I'm definitely a fan.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I stay in 2wd 95% of the time. Even in winter on snow. If I don't need 4wd, I don't want to get complacent with it always being there, and have to rely on it. Also gives worse fuel mileage.

I do switch to 4-auto at stop lights if I want to accelerate quickly without wheel spin. Usually to either jump in front of someone because I need to turn and didn't realize it soon enough, or they were just being slow. Or to block someone else trying to cut in front of me when their lane is ending. When playing in the snow, it's 4-hi and traction control completely disabled with my TazerDT

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
A-4WD is great for driving.
I keep mine in 2H, but if I want to drive spiritedly and do sharp turns etc awd works great. Still sometimes slips from a start if i'm taking like a 90 degree turn, sometimes over compensates with TCM on, or way overstears with TC turned off. I do wish it held better traction on turns, but it't still better then 2H.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My non auto 48-12 TC has never given me an overheating warning because it has no clutches in it.
Not sure what to tell you, he has the same transfer case in his truck as you do, and he was getting overheating warnings when I wasn't.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I stay in 2wd 95% of the time. Even in winter on snow. If I don't need 4wd, I don't want to get complacent with it always being there, and have to rely on it. Also gives worse fuel mileage.

I do switch to 4-auto at stop lights if I want to accelerate quickly without wheel spin. Usually to either jump in front of someone because I need to turn and didn't realize it soon enough, or they were just being slow. Or to block someone else trying to cut in front of me when their lane is ending. When playing in the snow, it's 4-hi and traction control completely disabled with my TazerDT
Same

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What ever the cause.
44-12 has no clutches to overheat, just has a mechanical shifter driven by a motor.
Doesn't mean it can't overheat. I get it, you dont believe it happened. Not sure what to tell you.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I mainly use mine for the snow/ice. Never had a need for it in the rain with the limited slip and once I swapped out the stock tires for the Continentals it just hooks up even under hard acceleration in 2wd on wet roads.

Users who are viewing this thread