5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4wd Auto jerking

Kolomari

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to this forum, searched here and Facebook for answers. I have a 2019 sport and absolutely love the truck. The only issue I have is the 4wd-auto jerking. If I have my vehicle in 4wd auto and I feather the break (to the point where the truck is barely holding on a break) or go and try to creep to a vehicle infront (1-3km/h), the truck starts to jerk back and forth lightly, unless I am on a hill then not so lightly. Just more of an annoyance for me when sitting in traffic. Been to the dealer and they said it's normal. Can anyone else chime in on this? Is it really normal?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to this forum, searched here and Facebook for answers. I have a 2019 sport and absolutely love the truck. The only issue I have is the 4wd-auto jerking. If I have my vehicle in 4wd auto and I feather the break (to the point where the truck is barely holding on a break) or go and try to creep to a vehicle infront (1-3km/h), the truck starts to jerk back and forth lightly, unless I am on a hill then not so lightly. Just more of an annoyance for me when sitting in traffic. Been to the dealer and they said it's normal. Can anyone else chime in on this? Is it really normal?

Hi Kolomari,

Our team here is not mechanically trained so we are unable to speculate, however, if you do not receive any answers here and you decide to get a second opinion on this, we are always available via PM to provide additional support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

Maconi

Reaction score
Mine does the same (jerking/bouncing) when at slow speeds/trying to make a tight turn (parking lot).

I've never had a truck before so I just assumed it was from the 4WD/LSD/3.92 torque.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Not normal guys, I use the 4wd auto when the roads are slick. I dont feel a difference between regular 2wd and 4wd auto. This is including tight turns and everything. I drive a 2019 ram crew cab. My wife drives a 2014 with the same type of 4wd auto set up and you cannot feel any difference in her truck either. I really think something is wrong with your trucks. I have been driving four wheel drive trucks for over 30 years so this is not my first 4x4. Good luck.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Not normal guys, I use the 4wd auto when the roads are slick. I dont feel a difference between regular 2wd and 4wd auto. This is including tight turns and everything. I drive a 2019 ram crew cab. My wife drives a 2014 with the same type of 4wd auto set up and you cannot feel any difference in her truck either. I really think something is wrong with your trucks. I have been driving four wheel drive trucks for over 30 years so this is not my first 4x4. Good luck.
Yeah I second this comment.

MickeyRam

Reaction score
Had a 2016 Ram 1500 for 3 years and 4wd always drive smooth. My 2020 Ram drives the same way.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score

I think I know what ur talking about. I think mine does something similar but not just in 4wd. When I’m creeping up at a stop light, getting ready to turn the front seems to chug along a little if I’m barely pressing the brakes. Kinda weird but the more pressure I apply it doesn’t do it.

Also, my Auto 4wd has some slight front tire groan and axle hum when engaged compared to when in 2wd. I’m not gonna worry about it for now. But it doesn’t help that I can be overly sensitive to the slightest noises while driving. I know someone mentioned theirs doesn’t make any noise difference when in auto 4wd but I bet I would hear something lol.

parnine

Reaction score
Does not sound normal, mine does not do that.

It is my understanding that 4WD Auto works by engageing the front transfer case so power can be applied to the front axles if slippage is detected. In 4WD auto all the power is applied to the rear axles, as it is in 2WD, EXCEPT if front tire slippage is detected, then power is applied to the front axles 'automatically' in real time since the transfer case is engaged. So in 4WD auto, the front transfer case is engaged, more parts are now 'turning', and hearing a slight hum from this is normal. While I'm sure it could be measured with a decibel meter, some folks 'ears' can hear it in the cab and some can not (or the radio/wind noise drowns it out). This 'engagement of the front transfer case' is also the reason for a decrease in mpg as more parts are turning.

In 4WD HI, not only is the front transfer case engaged, as it is in 4WD Auto, but the front axles are engaged all the time, so you are 'in 4WD' all the time. Opposed to 4WD Auto where you are 'ready to be in 4WD' automatically, but generally in 2WD all the time with the power to rear wheels only.

Narg

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with a 2011 Silverado. Turned out to be the brake pads. Since there is a lot of discussion around the forum on brakes, figured that might be a good avenue to examine. But since "4 Auto" only (or is it only?) then it might not be, but worth considerations.

Kolomari

Reaction score
Hello all, thank you for great replies. I didn't think it was break pads as even of the breaks are gripping and your feathering that break at the teeter point, it jerks. The dealership said it's normal because of transfer case. The mechanic test drove another vehicle off the lot and said it did exact same. If it is a normal function, it's crappy design. No other noise or him, just the littering. Feels like the truck wants to go but brks are stopping it. Don't know how else to explain it. Just thought the transition should be more smoother. It does happen on 2wd as well but not as prominent.

Kolomari

Reaction score
Mine does the same (jerking/bouncing) when at slow speeds/trying to make a tight turn (parking lot).

I've never had a truck before so I just assumed it was from the 4WD/LSD/3.92 torque.

Same, this is my first truck ever. But my jerks only when creeping, other than that, it drives good. Even getting good milage which surprised me.

flameredram

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but just wanted to let you know that I have the exact same truck and have the exact same symptoms at creeping speeds (4WD Auto or 2WD), otherwise everything runs and drives fine. Did you ever get to the bottom of this or learned to live with it?

Users who are viewing this thread