5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4wd auto/high noise normal?

dop

Reaction score
Hi all, first time owning a 4wd vehicle; had awd suvs prior. I went to the Sierras this last weekend and the roads seemed a bit wet, so I turned on 4wd auto in case there’s slippage. I noticed, mainly on turns, that there’s a whirring noise. Same seems to happen on 4wd high. Is that normal?

I’m in Northern California and it’s been a dry season so far, so I haven’t needed to use 4wd (always using 2wd). Here’s a video where you can hear; bear in mind it’s dry pavement..

Also, when should I use 4wd auto vs high vs low?

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes a little extra noise/vibration is normal, especially in 4HI or 4LO. Just stick it in 4auto any time you're on pavement and think you need the extra traction.

Reactions: dop

evanxrs

Reaction score
That sounds very loud. Would say that is likely not normal. Bring it to the dealer and have a mechanic drive it. Do it before something breaks

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Reactions: dop

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
4 auto any time driving around and might have slippage. Rain snow. 4wd off roading. Must have slippage. Never on paved roads. Tires must be able to slip. 4wd low need power torq. Keep slow under like 5 mph. Only on slippery surface. Wheels must be able too slip.
reason for slipping in 4 hi/low diff is locked so both tires spin at same rate. You go into a turn out side tire has to move faster If locked together thing start to go bad. So on gravel or dirt the tire can slip and no problem. Pavement no slip bad things.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
Don’t use 4 hi/low ever on dry pavement. And if you do don’t ever turn. If you have to use 4 auto all day long

arptsprt

Reaction score
That sounds very normal to me especially on dry pavement with you turning the wheel to hard stop. Should have heard F150 when I did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That’s normal for 4hi . As has been stated you should be using 4auto unless you’re on snow , sand , gravel or mud .

dop

Reaction score
Went to the ram dealership today and test drove the 2021 1500 limited - same thing. 4wd auto seems normalish, and 4wd hi behaves the same as my truck. I guess it’s normal!

Users who are viewing this thread