5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4wd actuator connector issue

jtrock123

Reaction score
All,
I have a 2019 ram 1500 5.7 hemi. Recently I have not been able to get it to go into any 4wd modes. I bought a replacement actuator to replace the old one. I disconnected the old one and connected the new one before installing. It went into 4wd modes immediately. I reconnected the old one and tested, and it went into 4wd mode successfully. I tested a few more times with the old actuator and it started having the same problem. I went to disconnect while it was trying to engage and I felt the actuator engage. After several attempts it seems like the original actuator Is fine, but the connector doesn’t make great contact with the pins. Anyone seen this issue before or know of a recall on the 1500 that replaces this connector?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
All,
I have a 2019 ram 1500 5.7 hemi. Recently I have not been able to get it to go into any 4wd modes. I bought a replacement actuator to replace the old one. I disconnected the old one and connected the new one before installing. It went into 4wd modes immediately. I reconnected the old one and tested, and it went into 4wd mode successfully. I tested a few more times with the old actuator and it started having the same problem. I went to disconnect while it was trying to engage and I felt the actuator engage. After several attempts it seems like the original actuator Is fine, but the connector doesn’t make great contact with the pins. Anyone seen this issue before or know of a recall on the 1500 that replaces this connector?

I've read reports that this can be caused by oil changes, taking the filter out means you're getting oil over anything under and near that part of the engine and the 4x4 actuator is right under the filter, oil gets into the connector and does its thing there. I'd try spray the connector out thouroughly with brake cleaner and see if that fixes the issue. Might take more than one attempt to fix it, but try spraying it out as often as needed over the course of a few weeks.

shawnblink281

Reaction score
Hey all just wanted to let you guys know I was having the same issue, pulled the plug on the actuator cleaned it then put it back in and it worked! So thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread