5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4G Hotspot Isn't Working ---- Any advice?

ammdrew

Reaction score
We have this happen every long trip we go on. seems to be a router issue as the wifi actually stays connected to the truck but the phones, ipads loose connection.. If I was to just guess the hardware probably overheats or has a bug and shuts down.. pulling the battery connection was a bad choice as we lost heater controls for a extended period of time while traveling and waiting for the system to recover.. Soft reset did not reset the router so that option did not work, Under dash fuse may have worked diferently but we did not have tools to access the location. Uconnect blames Ram, Ram blames uconnect, personally IDC whos fault it is I purchased the 70k+ vehicle from RAM and its advertised functions should easily work for 10-12 hrs of use. They have had the equipment on the road for a couple of years and should fix whichever part is bad, hardware or software and quit telling us to pull a fuse during our trips to fix the problem.

LV426

Reaction score
We have this happen every long trip we go on. seems to be a router issue as the wifi actually stays connected to the truck but the phones, ipads loose connection.. If I was to just guess the hardware probably overheats or has a bug and shuts down.. pulling the battery connection was a bad choice as we lost heater controls for a extended period of time while traveling and waiting for the system to recover.. Soft reset did not reset the router so that option did not work, Under dash fuse may have worked diferently but we did not have tools to access the location. Uconnect blames Ram, Ram blames uconnect, personally IDC whos fault it is I purchased the 70k+ vehicle from RAM and its advertised functions should easily work for 10-12 hrs of use. They have had the equipment on the road for a couple of years and should fix whichever part is bad, hardware or software and quit telling us to pull a fuse during our trips to fix the problem.
And this is the main problem... "Uconnect blames Ram, Ram blames Uconnect" No one takes responsibility for the issues with this system.

Note how many discussions/topics there are regarding the issues with the Uconnect 12 and note how many of them have Ramcares acknowledging the issues... Not a good sign...

revvr

Reaction score
I'm having the same wifi issue on my truck and Uconnect 12. Devices will connect to the wifi SSID, but there is not internet coming to them.

I've tried many of the things being suggested without success. My last resort is to pull the fuse, but I need to wait until I get home to get the socket I need to be able to get to the fuse box. This is, quite frankly, really bad design and terrible software on trucks that MSRP over $60K.

I've tried power/tuner knobs, doesn't do anything. I believe most people are reporting a reset because after you release the buttons, the screen turns off. However, the unit is interpreting you want to turn it off, which is not the same as as an actual reset.

I've tried the VR/Phone buttons on the steering wheel. No reset. I've tried going into dealer mode, can't find an option to reset there. I find it amazing that I have been looking for about 2 hours for a way to reset this without pulling a fuse or a battery cable and nobody on the Internet has an answer for this.

The last thing I can do is pull the fuse and hope it resolves itself.

I had the same issue a while ago and it got fixed with time, but I need wifi working in the truck now so I need to find a solution for it. When it happened last time, I called AT&T and they claimed that the issue was on FCA's side and that I had to take the truck to a dealer to get the latest software update. FCA dealers being FCA dealers, are saying that I need to leave the truck for an entire day to get software updated (even with an appointment). Even then, I might already be on the latest software/firmware and no update can be applied (I've never updated the software on my 2020 truck).

@RamCares Please consider reviewing this situation. It is unacceptable that we have to go through all of the above just to get wifi working in these trucks.

revvr

Reaction score
Updating:

I ended up pulling the fuse and that got everything working again, which confirms it is related to the truck, not AT&T's service.

Unfortunately, it worked for a week and now I'm back in the same situation as before.

I've replaced the factory bulbs in the cargo area to see if the LEDs I had there are somehow messing with the electronics. Will report back results in the upcoming days.

revvr

Reaction score
Update to this.

The problem came back shortly after. I took the truck to the dealer for scheduled service and they fixed it, so the issue is with the truck after all. they told me the took out the fuse and did a factory reset of the radio and that did the trick. It has been working great ever since and it has been quite a few months.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I tried all of the above crap and not a damn thing ever fixed it. RAM(manufacturer) blames uconnect/ ATT and ATT blames RAM. After 8 months of BS I cancelled the service with a full refund. Screw that mess. Now that I am approaching my 3 years I think I will just sell it back to a dealer and move on with my equity.

Users who are viewing this thread