5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 corner air suspension and towing

Ghill

Reaction score
Have a 2019 Ram with 4 corner air ride suspension system. Wondering what the correct procedure was for connecting a 6500lb travel trailer with weight distribution bars?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have a 2019 Ram with 4 corner air ride suspension system. Wondering what the correct procedure was for connecting a 6500lb travel trailer with weight distribution bars?
Read through this thread I merged your post with.

I will refrain from mentioning the search option or reading through the towing section...as I guess me knowing it already existed makes it easier.;)(y):)

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Process is outlined in the Owner's Manual

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My '19 Longhorn CC, is the third('15 & '16 prior trucks) 1500 I've had in the last three(3) years. All equipped identically; 5.7, 3:92s, 4-corner air, factory hitch and brake controller(but not the actual tow package simply because I don't like the 'elephant ear' tow mirrors).

I tow a 24' ATC, all aluminum, enclosed trailer, so the total weight with '67 Coronet R/T on board is 7,216 pounds, with a 1,350 pound tongue weight.

I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch, and to date, I've never had an overload, or error message of any sort, in any of the three trucks, and that's towing on the Canadian prairies, as well as through the highest points of the Alberta-BC Rockies here in Canada.

From my perspective, the 4-corner air is the best option that Mother MOPAR has ever offered in their trucks, in fact it's only gotten better over the years as they've fine-tuned the airride programming. Combine that with the built-in sway control system, I find it's a very stable platform, and I've never had any concerns when towing.

Good to hear. I have a 31' TT 7,000 dry and maybe 8500-9000 loaded (12000# Equalizer WD sway hitch) plus 2 Honda 2000's generators and firewood in the truck bed. That WORKED my Avalanche's air ride. Aired up for about a full 60+ seconds. Sounds like the 19 Ram will handle it better..

402Drew

Reaction score
The manual says to set your ride height to "Normal" when setting up your weight distribution hitch. Does that mean you can't tow in Aero mode? That obviously changes the geometry but unless you have Aero disabled it will automatically go there over 66mph. So is the answer simply tow in Normal mode and disable Aero mode?

Daniel

Reaction score
With my 2013 when in tow mode the aero mode was cancelled automatically when towing my 28 feet trailer next time i tow i will set it to aero and will see if it stays in
normal keep in touch.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can tow in Aero and it will stay there if you want it to. I towed 900 miles with my boat (~6200 lbs and 850lbs Tongue weight) behind in Aero.

402Drew

Reaction score
I just tried hooking up my travel trailer and Aero mode turns off when in tow mode (possibly also when plugging in the taillights). So I guess that answers that.

exsmokerme

Reaction score
OK I have the 2019 Ram BigHorn with 4 corner air ... I used it to tow a 6800 lb trailer with a wd hitch (Husky Centerline). Had trouble with adjustment of wd hitch due to the auto leveling taking tension off the wd bars so that I had to over adjust the bars as much as possible so they still functioned when the rear air springs lifted the back of the truck up.. I eventually got the adjustment right but it took a learning curve and using fca instructions and measuring the wheel wells etc..

DavidNJ

Reaction score
With my 2013 when in tow mode the aero mode was cancelled automatically when towing my 28 feet trailer next time i tow i will set it to aero and will see if it stays in
normal keep in touch.

Raising and lowering the truck will change the tension on the WD bars. Also note, the WD bar will transfer 1%-2% of the net tongue weight to the trailer axle. Adjusting tongue weight may be problematic with some trailers. Also not many/most hitches and receivers specify a max tongue weight that is 10% of their max trailer weight, not over 10%. However, the trailer is virtually always less than the max trailer weight. I've been told by one hitch manufacturer that the ideal target was 4.5%-5.5% net tongue weight after adjustment.

capt bernie

Reaction score
Raising and lowering the truck will change the tension on the WD bars. Also note, the WD bar will transfer 1%-2% of the net tongue weight to the trailer axle. Adjusting tongue weight may be problematic with some trailers. Also not many/most hitches and receivers specify a max tongue weight that is 10% of their max trailer weight, not over 10%. However, the trailer is virtually always less than the max trailer weight. I've been told by one hitch manufacturer that the ideal target was 4.5%-5.5% net tongue weight after adjustment.
Will my 2019 ram with 4 corner air suspension is rated for 11,340 is that without a WD hitch ????

DavidNJ

Reaction score
The instructions are on page 383-384. I'm not sure I totally agree with them. Front fender height is frequently used as WD Hitch guideline, but is masked by self-leveling.

FCA 'recommends' a WD hitch above 5000lb. Most say require although it is common for HD pickups to tow heavy loads without one. If towing for any distance, I'd consider one (maybe the simple Andersen hitch) for any trailer over 3000lb, although there will be many here who can say how they towed that weight and more without a WD hitch and it towed ok. The issue will be more about stability. If it is a trailer with lots of sail area (e.g. RV, enclosed car hauler) or with weight at the extreme rear of the trailer (a moment of inertia rather than a tongue weight issue)(e.g. powerboat with motors at the rear) it is more likely to be an issue at lighter weights. Remember, the issue isn't a regular drive. It is always the unexpected emergency situation that causes the problems (someone ahead slamming on the brakes during a low-visibility sudden thunderstorm while on a long, steep interstate downhill).

Key to remember is that without a WD hitch (or with an incorrectly adjusted one) both the tongue weight and weight taken off the front wheels is added to the tow vehicle rear wheels. The WD hitch removes weight from the tow vehicle rear wheels to the front wheels and trailer axle.

There are 6 guiding numbers, only one to a standard. Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (GCWR) is to a standard and a good guideline...but the 3.21 vs 3.92 discussions show some its shortcomings. There are front and rear Gross Axle Weight Ratings (GAWR). These are usually set because one component (usually tires, wheels, or springs) will exceed their load capacity if GAWR us exceeded. There are also discussions of things that can be done to change it. The difference between a 2500 and 3500 SRW pickup is often/usually just rear spring rates. The others GVWR which in general is roughly 10% below combined front/rear GAWR. But some times it is more (for instance when made greater than 10% to keep a 2500 pickup under 10k lb which has legal and driver licensing issues or less when heavy diesel engines challenge payload on 3500 pickups). Payload is the difference between GVWR and the actual curb weight (which includes all fluids topped off). Finally, there is max trailer weight, which seems to simply be the difference between GCWR and the max curb weight plus some minimum payload (including passengers and hitch).

Generally, for a 1500 pickup the payload and the GCWR are the limiting factors.

Users who are viewing this thread