5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 corner air suspension and towing

fish mojo

Reaction score
Is this a benefit or detriment (lost payload) for towing? Anybody towing with this and what is your tongue weight and towing weight. Feedback appreciated.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you watch the videos it is definitely a benefit. It will decrease payload, but shouldn't have any effect on tongue weight or trailer weight.

I have no experience with it though. There are a few here who do have posts about towing and I believe some do have the air suspension

Ksilva211

Reaction score
I have it. Have used it to it’s max capacity and I think it’s great. Definitely makes things more stable

revolutionz

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a tongue weight limit for the auto leveling to where it won't fill the bags to level itself? I thought I had read somewhere that someone put a bunch of stuff in his box and it wouldn't level and gave a message about too much weight, but I can't seem to find it now and there doesn't seem to be any indication of the limit in manual.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is a limit, when you exceed it, an error light comes on and it disables the automatic leveling. It holds it at normal height until the weight is reduced. You can tow with it in disabled mode, but you have to rely on a WD hitch to level the truck, just like you do on a standard suspension.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
There is a limit, when you exceed it, an error light comes on and it disables the automatic leveling. It holds it at normal height until the weight is reduced. You can tow with it in disabled mode, but you have to rely on a WD hitch to level the truck, just like you do on a standard suspension.

Thank you! I have been trying to determine exactly what to expect if I go over payload a tiny bit on a big vacation and whether the air suspension was going to leave me disappointed. We were getting I'd say 80-90% of the picture, and you filled in the last of the gaps about whether it gives up and rides the stops, or trys to stay aired up and where, and what effect that will have in terms of the trailer load.

I think if it reacts as you describe I won't have any issues as I use a WD hitch on a relatively light trailer (4500-6000lbs fully loaded depending on tank levels) and our load in the truck will likely be fairly balanced overall as well. I'm not expecting to be over by more than 100lbs or so, and even then only with a full tank, so I don't expect it'll try to ride the bump stops.

This is all theoretical anyway for me till I have a generator, that's the piece of gear in the bed I expect to push us over payload, and only when we take our kayaks too.

ammdrew

Reaction score
From what I have found in usage so far.

If we load the truck heavy with the truck motor off. When we start the truck we get the overload error.

If we load the truck with the truck running the truck self levels and word as expected.

We had similar expierience with our 16 3500 air assist. When loading heavy we had to have the truck on and running or the air would error out and that was the full on Beast... diesel aisin combo.

MLB12

Reaction score
My '19 Longhorn CC, is the third('15 & '16 prior trucks) 1500 I've had in the last three(3) years. All equipped identically; 5.7, 3:92s, 4-corner air, factory hitch and brake controller(but not the actual tow package simply because I don't like the 'elephant ear' tow mirrors).

I tow a 24' ATC, all aluminum, enclosed trailer, so the total weight with '67 Coronet R/T on board is 7,216 pounds, with a 1,350 pound tongue weight.

I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch, and to date, I've never had an overload, or error message of any sort, in any of the three trucks, and that's towing on the Canadian prairies, as well as through the highest points of the Alberta-BC Rockies here in Canada.

From my perspective, the 4-corner air is the best option that Mother MOPAR has ever offered in their trucks, in fact it's only gotten better over the years as they've fine-tuned the airride programming. Combine that with the built-in sway control system, I find it's a very stable platform, and I've never had any concerns when towing.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
6000 lbs should tow perfectly with the air suspension. You should have around 600 lbs (10%} on the tongue. That leaves 600 pounds or more for payload depending on your trucks rating. If you are over the payload limit, load more gear into the trailer.

My cargo trailer weighs 4800 fully loaded with 700+ pounds on the tongue and tows straight and stable with no WD hitch. For a travel trailer, I'd use a WD with sway control since they have a higher center of gravity and tend to sway a lot more.

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
Just purchased an Imagine 2670 Mk TT. See signature for my payload info.

The suggested Weight Distribution Hitch is a Easy Lift R3, any experience with it?

Second is the correct procedure for them the following:
1. Level ground and truck in normal
2. Place truck in jack mode
3. Take initial measurements
4. Install and adjust per install directions
5. Start truck and exit jack mode
6. Weigh truck

Looking at you @devildodge !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is FCA take on configuring the Ram for proper towing with air suspension.
1. Trailer hitch weight should not be greater than 10% of total trailer weight. 2. If you are going to use WD bars, following is recommend. A. Place truck in jack mode B. Measure height of front wheel well opening from ground to the bottom of the opening.C. Attach trailer until full load is on the truck measure again Subtract C from B, divide by three and add B to the result, difference should be no more than 1/3 of normal ride height. Adjust until within specification.Turn off jack mode, truck will auto level using the air ride system.

Hope this helps.

I have no experience with the air suspension, but looks like you level the truck (in jack mode) the same way you do a regular suspension.

Then the air suspension does it's normal thing,rather than it compensating for the trailer.

Let us know the weights when you get it weighed @Mr. Chow

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@devildodge
For sure, with pictures and scales.

What about the Camco EAZ-Lift R3, any experience?
I have no experience with that either.

I do have weight distribution on my 99, but only because the reciever calls for it. Loaded with all our supplies, it only drops the amount of the factory rake.

Hope it works out well for you, it sure is slick how easy the backup camera and air suspension make hooking up.

Where are the scales you plan to use?

EK2Bird

Reaction score
I just completed a 500 mile round trip with my 24 ft Haulmark with my Superbird inside. Total trailer weight about 8000 lbs and using a Weigh Safe hitch showing 900 lbs of tongue weight. Air Suspension leveled right out and rode great. Very little sway that was mainly from passing trucks.

Last edited:

Daniel

Reaction score
Is this a benefit or detriment (lost payload) for towing? Anybody towing with this and what is your tongue weight and towing weight. Feedback appreciated.
Much better the payload is up by about 70 lbs from regular spring witch are havier , i have a travel trailer 4800 lbs tong 500

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
Yea, after messing with it and redoing the dealer install. Swapped the brackets one was up the other down it tows great

Adkram

Reaction score
From what I have found in usage so far.

If we load the truck heavy with the truck motor off. When we start the truck we get the overload error.

If we load the truck with the truck running the truck self levels and word as expected.

We had similar expierience with our 16 3500 air assist. When loading heavy we had to have the truck on and running or the air would error out and that was the full on Beast... diesel aisin combo.

Same experience. Put a ton of wood pellets on plus a couple hundred pounds of rock salt. Truck leveled no problem but gave a warning that air suspension operation limited. Engine was running while loading. Only had to drive about 3 miles though.

Users who are viewing this thread