5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4" coilover suspension?

Ryno

Reaction score
Does anyone make a 4" lift that doesn't reuse the factory coilover? I would like to go 4" but use a Fox or King strut, but I think all of those come set at 2.5".

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 4” lift and looked into this. You can get custom length King Coilovers from Filthy motorsports. You can’t get custom length Fox ones though - unless you bought the bds ones for the 6” lift and reduced the preload on them. But even then, I’m not sure if they would get low enough and with all that preload taken out it might be too soft (feeling uncontrolled). Third option is get the Fox coilovers for a 2.5” or 3” and add a spacer on top. As long as you have all the other drop down components for a 4” lift then that should work fine and it would ride the same as the standard 2.5” Fox coilovers. Those are pretty much all your options lol

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
What @Mclovinnnnn said as he just summarized my assessment after talking to vendors (i.e., Filthy Motorsports, BDS, Carli, Fabtech, Fox, others) directly myself on this issue. I still can't get my mind around using 4-inch drop bracket components (which involves cutting the frame and other components) aligning perfectly with a Fox 2.5 coil-overs (adjusted to the right ride height for performance and comfort) and a top hat spacer (at just the right thickness but not too thick that degrades ride comfort and off-off-road performance); but in theory, I keep thinking that is a good solution myself. I pressed a BDS shop tech on this concept but he only responded with their standard statement that BDS cannot recommend doing any such thing because they haven't tested such a setup themselves specifically on the 5th Gen Ram (I assume both for liability and warranty reasons as well as strategic product protection reasons if BDS has a 4-inch coil-over lift system already in the works).

Of course, there is the 6-inch BDS coil-over system with stout enough components (better than Zone and far better than Rough Country) for moderately difficult off-roading but raises the vehicle's center of gravity a tad too high for both on-road high speed or off-road off-canter stability (not to mention too high to fit into my garage).

Last edited:

Ryno

Reaction score
That's where I've basically settled, I would essentially have to design something myself. Not that I don't have the means to produce it, but the time and really only knowing enough to make myself dangerous. LOL. Guess I'll go with the leveling set up and squeezing in 34's.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
What @Mclovinnnnn said as he just summarized my assessment after talking to vendors (i.e., Filthy Motorsports, BDS, Carli, Fabtech, Fox, others) directly myself on this issue. I still can't get my mind around using 4-inch drop bracket components (which involves cutting the frame and other components) aligning perfectly with a Fox 2.5 coil-overs (adjusted to the right ride height for performance and comfort) and a top hat spacer (at just the right thickness but not too thick that degrades ride comfort and off-off-road performance); but in theory, I keep thinking that is a good solution myself. I pressed a BDS shop tech on this concept but he only responded with their standard statement that BDS cannot recommend doing any such thing because they haven't tested such a setup themselves specifically on the 5th Gen Ram (I assume both for liability and warranty reasons as well as strategic product protection reasons if BDS has a 4-inch coil-over lift system already in the works).

Of course, there is the 6-inch BDS coil-over system with stout enough components (better than Zone and far better than Rough Country) for moderately difficult off-roading but raises the vehicle's center of gravity a tad too high for both on-road high speed or off-road off-canter stability (not to mention too high to fit into my garage).
Doing a top hat spacer for the remaining inch or inch & a half you want to gain won’t diminish the ride quality at all because it’s not adding any extra preload to the coils. The only time a top hat spacer could/will negatively impact ride quality is when you use a large one (for example, say you use a 4” one) without doing the full lift kit with drop brackets and stuff because then you put your control arms and driveline at super extreme angles and lose all your suspension droop. And since the 2.5” coilovers are designed to mount directly to the factory coil buckets & the spacer is designed for that as well, then naturally they should bolt together just fine. The only “negative” with doing this is simply the fact that you’re only getting the added performance of 2.5” lift coilovers. If you had custom length 4” coilovers built then obviously you’d be able to squeeze out a little more up & down travel.

bbbeeennnjjjeee

Reaction score

Not to revive an old thread but this is what I plan to do. I ordered the BDS coilover kit and also the 4" lift kit. I plan to install the coilovers while I get a plan together with a suspension shop in my business park.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Not to revive an old thread but this is what I plan to do. I ordered the BDS coilover kit and also the 4" lift kit. I plan to install the coilovers while I get a plan together with a suspension shop in my business park.
So I am curious what you are going to try? I assume the 2-3 inch FOX 2.5 coilover kit with a 1-inch top hat spacer to replace the strut spacers on the 4-inch drop bracket kit?

bbbeeennnjjjeee

Reaction score
So I am curious what you are going to try? I assume the 2-3 inch FOX 2.5 coilover kit with a 1-inch top hat spacer to replace the strut spacers on the 4-inch drop bracket kit?
exactly. I think I'll have to make my own spacer but I'll have the one that comes with the BDS kit as a reference.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
whats the difference between a top hat spacer and strut spacer ? any links to some good. off road top hat spacers ? and some that would function with fox 2-3 dsc coilovers i want to add about a inch maybe inch and a half to my coilovers set at 2 inchs

i thinking about being a test dummy for my rebel

TXMidnightRam

Reaction score
So - I'm currently in the same boat- I already ordered and installed my Zone 4 in kit. I called BDS about ordering the coils. Good thing is they are 20% off right now. Are you ordering the UCA with it? However I did upgrade the zone kit with fox adventure but this kit comes with the performance shocks in the rear. I understand they are steel body vs aluminum and one can be rebuilt. Should I upgrade those too or are they good for a bit with these upgraded coil overs? I guess i need to call BDS too about break lines and them being ok.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
On the BDS' Rebel webpage, I saw that BDS came out with a 5-inch Fox PE coil-over system; they advertised it as fitting both the Rebel (which I have) and the 1500. That is interesting because on the 1500 webpage, they show a 4-inch Fox PE coil-over system under a different part number but do not list the 5-inch. So not sure why the 5-inch system is not listed there along with all of the other 1500 lift offerings like the 3-inch, 4-inch, and 6-inch Fox PE systems.

I contacted BDS about the 5-inch system for the Rebel, and they confirmed that the system would net 5-inches of lift for the 1500 but only 4-inches for the Rebel (since it already has an inch of lift from the factory); I find this kind of misleading when you consider they advertise the 5-inch lift only on the Rebel page (so you expect it would be 5-inches of lif for the Rebel especically since not shown on the 1500 page).

Technically though, I really want 3-inches of lift but none of their coil-over 3-inch FOX PE systems will net me 3-inches of actual lift on the Rebel (all will be 2-inches of lift which I already have). But 4-inches of lift max would work too but +$5K for the system before upgraded rear shocks and UCAs (plus installation, alignment, and taxes) makes for a +$2K per inch of lift. Ouch!

Edit: grammatical correctness

Last edited:

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the BDS' Rebel webpage, I saw that BDS came out with a 5-inch Fox PE coil-over system; they advertised it as fitting both for the Rebel (which I have) and the 1500. That is interesting because on the 1500 webpage, they show a 4-inch Fox PE coil-over system under a different part number but do not list the 5-inch. So not sure why the 5-inch system is not listed their along with all of the other 1500 lift offerings like the 3-inch, 4-inch, and 6-inch Fox PE systems.

I contacted BDS about the 5-inch system for the Rebel, and they confirmed that the system would net 5-inches of lift for the 1500 but only 4-inches for the Rebel (since it already has an inch of lift from the factory); I find this kind of misleading when you consider they advertise the 5-inch lift only on the Rebel page (so you expect it would be 5-inches of lif for the Rebel especically since not shown on the 1500 page).

Technically though, I really want 3-inches of lift but none of their coil-over 3-inch FOX PE systems will net me 3-inches of actual lift on the Rebel (all will be 2-inches of lift which I already have). But 4-inches of lift max would work too but +5K for the system before upgraded rear shocks and UCAs (plus installation, alignment, and taxes) makes for a +$2K per inch of lift. Ouch!
see im confused cause i thought the pe kit would just be a coilover kit … at 5 inchs on the site it shows that its still a drop kit and have to cut into the frame

bbbeeennnjjjeee

Reaction score
see im confused cause i thought the pe kit would just be a coilover kit … at 5 inchs on the site it shows that its still a drop kit and have to cut into the frame
You can’t get 5” of lift without changing the height of the front diff for appropriate CV angles.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
The 5-inch kit is a hybrid kit which combines the drop brackets needed to correct the suspension and front drive train geometry while also providing superior coil-over performance. So yes, you have to do some cutting and welding to relocate diff brackets and add cross members, etc. I think overall it’s a really decent kit that provides a more aggressive build stance while still capable for off-roading although probably still too high for off-canter wheeling.

Like what @bbbeeennnjjjeee said, you really should not lift your Ram past 3-inches as you really start messing up your CV axle angles and other geometry. I had a Fabtech 3-inch lift with Dirt Logic coil-overs that provided 3-inches of front lift and felt my angles were maxed out for my comfort. That is why BDS now offers a 3-inch drop bracket Fox PE coil-over system as well as a none drop bracket version because being at 3-inches is arguably the max and may be problematic if you tweak in a tad more lift from the coil-overs if you don’t correct the geometry.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I’m glad you guys saw BDS came out with these new options, I just came on here to spread the word about them haha. As far as the rebel lift being listed as 5” but only netting 4” that makes no sense to me. Either the associate was wrong, or they listed that product stupidly. Obviously common sense would tell us that the 5” kit for the rebels would technically be a 6” kit for the rest of our trucks, but marketed as a 5” kit for the rebels just because they already have the 1” factory lift that you’ll lose when you replace the coils. Also the 4” and 6” kits use the exact same drop brackets and stuff just FYI. The only difference is the length of the coils and which holes you use on the rear brackets. Also 6” kits can use the BDS UCAs, and as far as I know the 4” kits cannot use them because essentially the stock UCAs are still perfectly aligned and can’t utilize the extra droop from the aftermarket ones. That’s just what I read from other people who asked BDS.

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i guess time to buy the 5 inch pe and sell my current 2-3 dsc front coils

is the rear longer also?

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
I’m glad you guys saw BDS came out with these new options, I just came on here to spread the word about them haha. As far as the rebel lift being listed as 5” but only netting 4” that makes no sense to me. Either the associate was wrong, or they listed that product stupidly. Obviously common sense would tell us that the 5” kit for the rebels would technically be a 6” kit for the rest of our trucks, but marketed as a 5” kit for the rebels just because they already have the 1” factory lift that you’ll lose when you replace the coils. Also the 4” and 6” kits use the exact same drop brackets and stuff just FYI. The only difference is the length of the coils and which holes you use on the rear brackets. Also 6” kits can use the BDS UCAs, and as far as I know the 4” kits cannot use them because essentially the stock UCAs are still perfectly aligned and can’t utilize the extra droop from the aftermarket ones. That’s just what I read from other people who asked BDS.

But then I noted that the 1500 4-inch system will fit 35s and the Rebel 5-inch system will fit 37s (like the 6-inch Race shock system). So definitely a 6-inch system (but not sure why the 6-inch Race Series systems are not advertised the same way). Makes me wonder then if the BDS 3-inch drop bracket with Fox PE shocks for the Rebel is really a 4-inch PE lift but advertised as net because they don't show a 3-inch drop bracket PE shock system for the normal 1500 (they show a 4-inch PE system instead). I will have to call BDS for the third time to see if I can get a straight answer.

Also doesn't help that BDS uses the same exact photos for the 3-inch, 4-inch, and 6-inch PE systems and for both the 1500 and Rebel. I know the Fox coil-overs are adjustable but showing the same lift height from 3- to 6-inches is pretty lazy...they're not that adjustable...lol. Yet BDS wants to charge thousands of dollars for every kit but they can't even take decent photos of the actual products. And I love how they show regular 1500s on the Rebel page; so very helpful. It's like buying from Amazon; is it real or not.

Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
But then I noted that the 1500 4-inch system will fit 35s and the Rebel 5-inch system will fit 37s (like the 6-inch Race shock system). So definitely a 6-inch system (but not sure why the 6-inch Race Series systems are not advertised the same way). Makes me wonder then if the BDS 3-inch drop bracket with Fox PE shocks for the Rebel is really a 4-inch PE lift but advertised as net because they don't show a 3-inch drop bracket PE shock system for the normal 1500 (they show a 4-inch PE system instead). I will have to call BDS for the third time to see if I can get a straight answer.

Also doesn't help that BDS uses the same exact photos for the 3-inch, 4-inch, and 6-inch PE systems and for both the 1500 and Rebel. I know the Fox coil-overs are adjustable but showing the same lift height from 3- to 6-inches is pretty lazy...they're not that adjustable...lol. Yet BDS wants to charge thousands of dollars for every kit but they can't even take decent photos of the actual products. And I love how they show regular 1500s on the Rebel page; so very helpful. It's like buying from Amazon; is it real or not.
Yeah that’s really annoying! I guarantee it’s a 6” kit that’s marketed as 5” to the rebel guys since their trucks have a 1” factory lift. And yep I bet the rebel 3” system is actually the 4” for the regular trucks. If they claimed something else I’d have a reallyyy hard time believing that unless they had facts to back it up haha

Users who are viewing this thread