5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4” Lift Help: BDS vs Zone

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
Well, after tons of looking, I’m down to these 2 lifts. Initially, I was going to do the ReadyLift 3.5” w/ Bilstein’s all around. But, after comparing prices, it wouldn’t be that much more to just get the 4”. I’ve priced the Zone 4” for $1,661. The BDS 4” is $2,181, but I would more than likely spring an extra $200 for the Fox shocks. My question is, does anybody have the Zone 4” and are you happy with it. I know BDS makes quality lifts and that Zone is made my BDS. I’m just wondering what the differences in lifts is for the price. Any help would be appreciated!

Gun138

Reaction score
I ordered a PDS 4 inch lift for my 2020 limited with air ride suspension. It cost me $2630. It was supposed to arrive today but due to the weather it won’t be here till next Monday or Tuesday. I’m going to have it installed soon after that. The new wheels I already at the shop waiting for the lift kit. I bought 20 x 10 motiv Magnus Wheels wrapped in 35 inch BF good rich KO2s.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
The 2 main differences in Zone and BDS are the warranty and the finish. The finish on BDS components is better/stronger than zone and the warranty I believe is a little more extensive.. You'll would be happy with either one! Both great quality lifts, and they stand behind their products!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
I ordered a PDS 4 inch lift for my 2020 limited with air ride suspension. It cost me $2630. It was supposed to arrive today but due to the weather it won’t be here till next Monday or Tuesday. I’m going to have it installed soon after that. The new wheels I already at the shop waiting for the lift kit. I bought 20 x 10 motiv Magnus Wheels wrapped in 35 inch BF good rich KO2s.
Good lord!! I would be pacing the floor waiting on that lift to arrive 😂!! I do not have air ride. Still contemplating 20’s vs 22’s with 35” RidgeGrapplers.

Gun138

Reaction score
Well, after tons of looking, I’m down to these 2 lifts. Initially, I was going to do the ReadyLift 3.5” w/ Bilstein’s all around. But, after comparing prices, it wouldn’t be that much more to just get the 4”. I’ve priced the Zone 4” for $1,661. The BDS 4” is $2,181, but I would more than likely spring an extra $200 for the Fox shocks. My question is, does anybody have the Zone 4” and are you happy with it. I know BDS makes quality lifts and that Zone is made my BDS. I’m just wondering what the differences in lifts is for the price. Any help would be appreciated!

Oh, by the way zone is manufactured by BDS. There’s a video on the custom offsets YouTube channel explaining that it’s the same gauge and quality steel. I believe they said it was made in the same factory however the zone lift kit doesn’t come with some of the skid plates. I believe there are other stuff that doesn’t come with it so when you add all that stuff in it gets closer to the price of the BDS

Gun138

Reaction score
Good lord!! I would be pacing the floor waiting on that lift to arrive 😂!! I do not have air ride. Still contemplating 20’s vs 22’s with 35” RidgeGrapplers.

I’m excited to get the work done however, I’m a little apprehensive about the Shops ability to do the install without messing up the air ride. The fox over at PDS told me that they had a lot of trouble with installers in the early days of the air ride 2013, 14 and even 15. But they told me that they haven’t been having too many problems since then. I know they call KO2s Your dad’s off-road tires. LOL but then again I am a grandfather! I actually have NItto ridge grappler 305/45/22 on my factory 22s right now. They have 15,000 miles on them and the edges of the blocking’s are rounding over. They just seem to be wearing faster than my old KOs on my other truck did.

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
Oh, by the way zone is manufactured by BDS. There’s a video on the custom offsets YouTube channel explaining that it’s the same gauge and quality steel. I believe they said it was made in the same factory however the zone lift kit doesn’t come with some of the skid plates. I believe there are other stuff that doesn’t come with it so when you add all that stuff in it gets closer to the price of the BDS

See, this is the info I’m after. Thank you! I will look on Custom Offset as I’ve already got their website pulled up, haha!! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
See, this is the info I’m after. Thank you! I will look on Custom Offset as I’ve already got their website pulled up, haha!! Thanks

..... Didn't you say in your OP that you knew Zone was made by BDS? lol am I missing something? Also like I mentioned in my first reply, but I guess needed to elaborate on is the finish... BDS components are a better quality thicker powder coat finish than the finish on the Zone components aka will take more of a beating before rusting or hold up longer in harsh elements!

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
..... Didn't you say in your OP that you knew Zone was made by BDS? lol am I missing something? Also like I mentioned in my first reply, but I guess needed to elaborate on is the finish... BDS components are a better quality thicker powder coat finish than the finish on the Zone components aka will take more of a beating before rusting or hold up longer in harsh elements!

Yeah, you’re missing something. Correct, I knew Zone was made by BDS. The video on Custom Offsets was very informative. Would have never found it if he’d never had posted about it. I am definitely a firm believer in “you get what you pay for!” I just wish someone could chime in that has had the Zone lift and could speak on the ride quality. Both have option of Fox shocks, which that’s who owns both BDS and Zone.

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
So, I emailed Zone and BDS. Zone replied back with “The crossmember and warranty”. I replied for more explanation on crossmember.

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
As per his reply: “No sir its the same thickness. BDS crossmembers are designed in a way that provides more ground clearance from the differential to the ground”

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
So, I emailed Zone and BDS. Zone replied back with “The crossmember and warranty”. I replied for more explanation on crossmember.
Yeah if you look at the pictures of both kits laid out the cross member is way beefier on the BDS... The BDS also has an optional upgraded skid plate where the zone has the the little Zone badge right in the center

Mikejones11

Reaction score
The zone has a straight across cross member and the BDS as a Notched high clearance one

Chuck19

Reaction score
What are you going to be doing with this lift? I have had both zone and BDS not on a Ram however. If you are mostly going to be on pavement with some occasional off-roading zone all day. If it’s going to be mainly an off-road vehicle go with BDS purely from the warranty stand point. Zone is top notch quality and that’s what I would go with.

Mikejones11

Reaction score
The BDS warranty would not be a strong selling point for me. Read the post for the upper ball joint failures. All BDS offered was to send them a free $20 ball joint. They got stuck covering all the other damaged that occurred over the failed ball joint. So what’s really going to fail on the kits? You are using your stock lower arms, stock uppers and unless you buy the coil over it’s just a strut spacer.

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
The BDS warranty would not be a strong selling point for me. Read the post for the upper ball joint failures. All BDS offered was to send them a free $20 ball joint. They got stuck covering all the other damaged that occurred over the failed ball joint. So what’s really going to fail on the kits? You are using your stock lower arms, stock uppers and unless you buy the coil over it’s just a strut spacer.
Yeah but BDS claims to match the factory warranty if the manufacturer refuses to cover something.... But I agree if your not doing hardcore offroad zone is way more than good enough

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
The purpose will be daily on pavement, occasionally offroad. I have a Polaris Rzr to do my hard off-roading. But, my main concern is everyday ride quality! I am more than willing to pay a little more for a better ride (BDS). But, if Zone will produce the same ride as BDS, I’ll gladly save the money. I’ve had 2 ProComp lifts on Chevrolets that rode close to stock and a 12” Bulletproof suspension on a Tundra that actually rode better than stock. I don’t have experience with either BDS or Zone but I’ve heard good things about BDS.

DeepH2ODriller

Reaction score
Here’s response from BDS:

To answer your question without breaking down the part list and instruction sheets, the primary difference between BDS and Zone Off-road would the warranty BDS offers first. Second is that our BDS line has many more additional options that you can add to your desired lift system.

All major components in both BDS and Zones' kit are essentially very similar with no sacrifice in quality. The standard shocks that come with BDS as well as the optional 2.0 fox shocks are an upgrade from Zones options.

It essentially breaks down to the warranty policies, both have factory protection plus plans available. If something breaks that falls out of the limited warranty after a zone purchase, you will need to pay to replace the item/items. Everything in BDS is lifetime warranty replacement with some limitations you will find on the website. Such as vehicle accidents and normal wear and tear components. Shocks have a one year warranty and are considered wear and tear as well.

saylor

Reaction score
wait ask someone who has had the BDS ball joint come loose on them before you do this i read the warranty only covered the ball joint and not the rest of the suspension that got trashed was their experience

Users who are viewing this thread