5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd brake light gasket replacement

jeffrey5679

Reaction score
I decided to change my 3rd brake light gasket before it started leaking. Is this the gasket everyone is using? Also, it feels like my 4 mounting screws bottom out when I tighten them. Anyone else experience this? 520721EF-FDA9-461C-880D-EE8FD93ED69D.jpeg

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Similar to the one I used, had same problem with the screws. Cracked the lens at all 4 holes while tweaking them. No leaks even with the cracks. I have a replacement that I will gently tighten, snugging it down isn't necessary

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Yup. That’s what I used. I applied it over the factory seal. Just tighten all four screws gently and u should be fine.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where did you get the seal?

I am also wondering what size the bulbs are for the backup lights in there? I have some spare T-10 size bulbs.

jeffrey5679

Reaction score
Do you guys take off the old gasket or leave it in place and go over it?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take it off... otherwise you're not actually changing anything. I have seen this "fix" talked about but have not done it personally. The stock gasket does look pretty mediocre, but I have a hard time believing a longtime auto manufacturer used ineffective material for a water sealing gasket. Unless mine actually leaks, I don't plan on touching it. Not to mention doing this could void any warranty coverage in the event of a leak up there.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Yes, that is the one I used and I also removed the old gasket before installing this one. Also purchased at Home Depot.

GoMango16

Reaction score
They must use that thin gaskets so the worker doesn't break the lens when they tighten the screws....

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For anyone doing this, the original gasket does not just peel off. Plan on sitting down and taking 10-15 minutes to remove it. Pretty sure I used a flat head screwdriver to scrape it off.

jeffrey5679

Reaction score
Take it off... otherwise you're not actually changing anything. I have seen this "fix" talked about but have not done it personally. The stock gasket does look pretty mediocre, but I have a hard time believing a longtime auto manufacturer used ineffective material for a water sealing gasket. Unless mine actually leaks, I don't plan on touching it. Not to mention doing this could void any warranty coverage in the event of a leak up there.
For anyone doing this, the original gasket does not just peel off. Plan on sitting down and taking 10-15 minutes to remove it. Pretty sure I used a flat head screwdriver to scrape it off.
Yup, took me way to scrape mine off. Used a piece of plastic I trimmed to fit and some goo gone

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Same here, scraped off the old foam gasket then used Goo Gone to clean it up. Like others have said it takes some time but its worth doing it right.

jeffrey5679

Reaction score
Same here, scraped off the old foam gasket then used Goo Gone to clean it up. Like others have said it takes some time but its worth doing it right.
How long have you had the new gasket on? Any leaks?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed the old seal. I wonder if only using the new gasket will be an issue?
Nope. You need to remove the old gasket to apply the new one.

I only snugged down the mounting screws to avoid cracking the housing. A little bit of pressure is all you need to make the seal effective. I also put a dab of RTB on the screws to make sure there's no leak through them either.

Where did you get the seal?

I am also wondering what size the bulbs are for the backup lights in there? I have some spare T-10 size bulbs.
The bulbs in the CHSML are T-15.

Users who are viewing this thread