5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

36k miles manifolds cracked

Orion10182011

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I ordered afe shorty headers. Went to install them and found both Exhaust Manifolds cracked right in the middle. Truck has 40k miles on it. Installed the afe headers. What a $hit show. Just pulled them off and returned them to Summit. Endless exhaust leaks. Once removed found one header flange warped.

I'm now waiting on a set of Kooks long tubes. Truck is non drive able till I get the parts. Kooks are spendy.... It was such a pain to install the afe's that I'm willing to spend the $ so it's right and I don't have to do it again.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I ordered afe shorty headers. Went to install them and found both Exhaust Manifolds cracked right in the middle. Truck has 40k miles on it. Installed the afe headers. What a $hit show. Just pulled them off and returned them to Summit. Endless exhaust leaks. Once removed found one header flange warped.

I'm now waiting on a set of Kooks long tubes. Truck is non drive able till I get the parts. Kooks are spendy.... It was such a pain to install the afe's that I'm willing to spend the $ so it's right and I don't have to do it again.

Please be sure to update when the Kooks arrive.
This is the one brand of headers I'd be interested in putting on my truck.

WhiteReb

Reaction score
I went to the website "Kooks", and they do not list anything but gaskets for a 2021 Ram Rebel 5.7 engine. I think they just have not updated the fitments for their headers.
Could be wrong but don't think there is a difference from 2020 to 2021 and up 5.7 Hemi fitting the same headers, long, short, or OEM.
Please be sure to update when the Kooks arrive.
This is the one brand of headers I'd be interested in putting on my truck.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to check for a cracked exhaust manifolds. Can't see anything from the top or through the wheel well, so I'm thinking the cover needs to be removed to see it. Correct?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to check for a cracked exhaust manifolds. Can't see anything from the top or through the wheel well, so I'm thinking the cover needs to be removed to see it. Correct?

I think the best way is under the truck, crawl under and if you can move the headshield, a bolt is broken. Cracks, that maybe harder to visually see.

Here is an explanation on what to check for with the broken bolt scenario at time 8m:55s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online