5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

35's with 3.21 eco diesel

Dr.Shred

Reaction score
Hello fam, I have a 22 ecodiesel 1500 with factory tires/wheels (22's) and 3.21 gears. im wanting to put on 35's. Im not concerned with rubbing (have revel links coming in mail) but I am concerned with wear and tear to the transmission and possible major hit to mpg's. Ive seen quite a few people comment online on the 3.21's inability to hold 8th gear and constant shifting back and fourth at 70-75mph on freeway and would be pissed if that was the case. I had a 21 1500 with Hemi w 3.92 that did well with the 35's (Nitto RG) and was able to hold 8th gear on freeway, still with a little drop in mpg which I was ok with. Im loving the mpg's im getting now between 27-30mpg w the ecodeisel and dont want to ruin the ride with watching the truck working overtime at higher speeds. I do a ton of driving in LA/OC as daily driver (20-25k mi per year). Thanks!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure about ED, but I would think it’ll turn the 35s fine. If you’re worried about mpg don’t put 35s on.

Hopefully someone who’s done this can chime in

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
EcoDiesel makes more low speed torque than the 5.7, 35"s and 3.21 shouldn't be an issue however mpg will drop but like @theblet said, if you're concerned about mpg drop, don't do it

Users who are viewing this thread