5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33gal fuel tank.

Fatnipples

Reaction score
so I have the 33gal tank. I just filled up for the second time. I waited until the gas light came on to fill up. It took just over 26 gallons to top it off. Obv I expect a few gallons to be in the tank but can there really be 7 gallons still in there? The DTE only said 50ish miles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
so I have the 33gal tank. I just filled up for the second time. I waited until the gas light came on to fill up. It took just over 26 gallons to top it off. Obv I expect a few gallons to be in the tank but can there really be 7 gallons still in there? The DTE only said 50ish miles.
This has been discussed to death. Do a search.

zlman

Reaction score
I did a search and found a bunch of people having issues with the station pump clicking off repeatedly, seems unrelated to OP's question.

Fatnipple, you had no issues filling, just didn't take as much as you thought it would?

I'm no help yet as I've filled when tank is at 1/2 or better. Next tank I'll draw it down.

Kooch80

Reaction score
I have put in 30 plus gallons a couple of times on my Rebel. Normal fill up for my when I am low on fuel is around 28 gallons. my 14 Laramie was usually 26-28 gallons when low. no fueling issues in regards to the pump shutting off early. I don't worry too much about the light coming on as I am aware of what I normally get mpg wise.

ericd

Reaction score
That's about what I usually get into mine when I fill up unless I'm on fumes

Fatnipples

Reaction score
I did a search and found a bunch of people having issues with the station pump clicking off repeatedly, seems unrelated to OP's question.

Fatnipple, you had no issues filling, just didn't take as much as you thought it would?

I'm no help yet as I've filled when tank is at 1/2 or better. Next tank I'll draw it down.

correct. No fueling issue. I did find an obscure post from 2018 where it seems that the truck wasn’t programed to read the 33 gal tank. Idk. 7 gallons left over is at least 85miles. Maybe I’ll let it go crazy low next fill up and call AAA like an a hole. When i run out of gas.

Fatnipples

Reaction score
Normal. See https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/33-gallon-tank-on-a-2019-question.3087/

And it's not unique to Rams or even to Chrysler. My wife's Camry will turn on the low fuel light on a 17 gallon tank when there is 4 gallons left. On that car, that's at least 100 miles.
Thanks. I did actually find this thread. But 2018 i would expect a 2020 to be in tune. Maybe 7 gallons is normal but that’s like an extra 85 miles. Having a Grand Cherokee and Durango there is only about a 2-3 gallons in the tank

rlc2020

Reaction score
They take into account that you may actually be using this truck as a truck so a 5 or 6 gallon reserve equals what most cars 2 to 3 gallons would be. I can also double the range left after the light comes on most of the time if I'm feeling lucky.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Or doing 78 MPH on I-95 in south Carolina having the low fuel light come on.
I think I was down to 4 gallons in the the tank when we pulled up to the pump.

Cudapower

Reaction score
Thanks almost everyone. I feel a little more at ease. Now for my next post so I can get yelled at again
Feel bad for you I get yelled at too on these forums. Its true this has been discussed for years now. What Ram does is give you a bigger tank but has failed to change the software program so the gage is on the 28 gallon tank. That way they don't have to have a seperate program function for the option. I don"t care for it either and I have had two trucks this way now. But many people think that is a great safe zone, and it keeps plenty of fuel in there to cool the fuel pump so it doesn't burn up (so they think) so many people like the safety factor. I personally like accuracy but I have been out blogged for several years. I have learned to just live with it. Ram obviously doesn't care about it my 2013 did it too.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
This has been discussed to death. Do a search.
Wow.....I’ll say it, what a d!ck. Some of us are new to the forum and the truck. Sometime when you do a search you get 100’s of responses and often does not answer your specific concern. Maybe next time just say ‘that’s normal... you’re fine’. Or better yet don’t respond and move on to the next post. Have a nice day.

renzo2213

Reaction score
Feel bad for you I get yelled at too on these forums. Its true this has been discussed for years now. What Ram does is give you a bigger tank but has failed to change the software program so the gage is on the 28 gallon tank. That way they don't have to have a seperate program function for the option. I don"t care for it either and I have had two trucks this way now. But many people think that is a great safe zone, and it keeps plenty of fuel in there to cool the fuel pump so it doesn't burn up (so they think) so many people like the safety factor. I personally like accuracy but I have been out blogged for several years. I have learned to just live with it. Ram obviously doesn't care about it my 2013 did it too.

Mine has a 23 gallon tank, whenever I have like 20 miles left I can only fill up about 19-20 gallons. I’d figure at least 21-22 gallons since I average 15-17 mpg (a lot of city driving). Then when I get back in the truck after the pump stops pumping because it’s “full” even after a few extra squeezes, it only shows that it’s about 7/8 full. Doesn’t happen all the time though. Which is very odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Thanks almost everyone. I feel a little more at ease. Now for my next post so I can get yelled at again
No one yelled at you.
Wow.....I’ll say it, what a d!ck. Some of us are new to the forum and the truck. Sometime when you do a search you get 100’s of responses and often does not answer your specific concern. Maybe next time just say ‘that’s normal... you’re fine’. Or better yet don’t respond and move on to the next post. Have a nice day.
No one yelled, nor called anyone names. Get over it.

Last edited:

zlman

Reaction score
Ran my truck down till low fuel warning came on for the first time this week.
Warning = on at 50 miles range
Needle in the red zone of gauge
Fill = took 29.65 gal
Range showed 41 mi left, trucks been avg 14.8 mpg so fairly accurate est to empty

Users who are viewing this thread