5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 gallon tank full with 29 gallons?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, my last fill-up was the highest number of gallons yet, 31.440. I drove it past the point where it gave a number for the range, so it read "low" for a rage remaining "number". My guess is that somewhere between 1 and 1.5 gallons or about 15 to 22 miles of range were left. its seems like the fuel level indication system is trying to keep you safe from running empty by giving you about a 2 gallon buffer. This is good to know, because when you take long trips, you kinda what to know how much range you really have. So basically if you run to the point where your range goes from a number to "low" you have about 2 gallons worth of range left. I was hoping to get more range out of this truck with having an eTorque. Looks like 600+ mile rage is a pipe dream. So far the best tank MPG I have been able to manage is 16.6. the other 4 fill-ups have been around 15.1. I guess I can blame 3.91 and 22s? Hoping a bed cover will get me a 0.5 mi/gal bump, I doubt it tho.
You/we might see 600 miles on straight highway miles, especially if the speed limit is a bit lower (e.g. 65). We'd have to average 18.5 or better and push to the end of the range to do it. So conditions would have to be just right.

citpyrkf

Reaction score
You/we might see 600 miles on straight highway miles, especially if the speed limit is a bit lower (e.g. 65). We'd have to average 18.5 or better and push to the end of the range to do it. So conditions would have to be just right.
So I am struggling a little as a buyer when the expectation is 17/22/19 and my real work experience is 15.5. My driving is about 50/50. Now i'm only 2500 miles into my Ram, I am hoping it gets better, but I feel there's now way I will be seeing 19 combined. It's one of the two disappointing things with my truck, real world MPG and no 360 camera because I got tow mirrors. I do like my truck, but I which both of these were different.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I am struggling a little as a buyer when the expectation is 17/22/19 and my real work experience is 15.5. My driving is about 50/50. Now i'm only 2500 miles into my Ram, I am hoping it gets better, but I feel there's now way I will be seeing 19 combined. It's one of the two disappointing things with my truck, real world MPG and no 360 camera because I got tow mirrors. I do like my truck, but I which both of these were different.
Understood. I guess I probably knew I'd pay a weight penalty for ticking all of the options boxes. Still, my old truck consistently attained 11 mpg, so I should be happy...right?

citpyrkf

Reaction score
Just an update on my exploration on range/fuel capacity and MPG. On my last full tank I was able to drive 527 miles, most to date, and I was able to pump 32.714 gallons, also the most to date, into the tank. The MPG for this tank also read 17.2 also highest, and this is in mixed driving in some pretty cold temps. I'm about to hit 3,000 miles, so it looks like things are getting better as I break-in the 5.7 Hemi.

davidn0021

Reaction score
Just an update on my exploration on range/fuel capacity and MPG. On my last full tank I was able to drive 527 miles, most to date, and I was able to pump 32.714 gallons, also the most to date, into the tank. The MPG for this tank also read 17.2 also highest, and this is in mixed driving in some pretty cold temps. I'm about to hit 3,000 miles, so it looks like things are getting better as I break-in the 5.7 Hemi.

You're inspiring hope for me and my paltry 12.4MPG (down from 13.1 yesterday)...'Course, I'm only about 200 miles in, so here's to hoping in the next couple of months it'll jump up to that 17MPG mark.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Someone needs to do this with RAM

Nah, let the other brands burn up the fuel pump. There's a "reserve" for a reason, if my tank is 26gal, I don't expect to put 26gal in every time. For me, when the gas light comes on, its about a 17.5 gal fill up. I've put as much as 21gal in at one point. I feel good about there being 5 gal left in the tank for the pump to stay cool when I'm stretching the gas light to its max. Gotta remember, the 9 gal or so when the light comes on will disappear quickly when towing or hauling heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread