5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

33 gallon tank and fuel gauge

I just want to confirm that I am also not a stripper. For the record.

SHEESH..........Fill up a 5 gallon gas can and drive until you run out. Put the gas in the can into the truck and find a gas station. Fill up at the station. Ad the 5 gallons to the total on the pump and subtract the amount you estimate to have used from running out to filling up.
I'll confirm I'm a retired accountant so I know this formula works.:D

This is about someone whining about the 33g tank reading empty at 28g gone.

If you want to get hyper technical, i guess you could say that it should read empty when 32.9 gallons are gone, but seemingly all or most vehicle manufacturers have decided to do it differently.

In actuality they're doing us a favor because watching the gage you'll never run out of gas! The real reason they do it is to reduce their liability. Like in a situation where some young woman for example, relying on a very accurate gage or a very accurate range indication, runs out of gas in some desolate place and gets killed. Manufacturers play it safe.

To the hyper technical pilot, this might not be the forum for you. I think you lost all of us when you started talking about male genitals.

Last edited:
I didn't say anything about MPG. If you do what I suggested, you will have a very good idea of how accurate your miles-to-empty gauge is.

Right you are. Some folks say it can damage a fuel pump to run them dry, so no telling if this applies to Ram.

I just want to confirm I’m no longer a stripper. I just did it to pay my way through college.
I just didn’t graduate.
Probably because I didn’t enroll… but, that’s another story.

Why is it that every online forum has become filled with a bunch of smartass remarks? The pilot reference was not about measuring penises and I’m sorry if some of you felt inadequate. The point was that, in aviation, the fuel quantity indicating systems and fuel low lights are calibrated often and are extremely accurate. Driving a $75k truck around with several gallons of immeasurable fuel onboard is ridiculous.
The measuring of penis' gives us a better indication of how butthurt some guys get when forum threads don't go thier way. 🤣

You could try swapping in a 50 gallon tank out of a 3500.

I don't think the OP is describing a problem. I don't remember owning a vehicle that would accept the advertised fuel tank quantity and the distance to empty is just an estimate based on some calculation of previous fuel economy.

A 33 gallon tank is likely to hold less than 33 gallons of liquid fuel due to things like displacement from internal components like fuel pumps and sending units, and the location of the fuel inlet hose into the tank. If you look at an illustration of the ram fuel tank it appears there is part of the tank that sits higher than where the filler tube enters the tank. It looks like it's in the area for entry points for wiring and fuel lines so the manufacture probably though an air pocket in the tank would be better than constantly soaking these entry points in fuel.

Call it a safeguard for those that love to live on the edge and run their tanks empty will also help not kill the fuel pump as well.

Imagine how problem free your life must be when this is really an issue lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Funny/entertaining topic.
As many indicated, Range is determined by many factors - Towing/load, going up or down hills, temperature, city driving, city & HWY driving, etc.etc.etc.etc.
The computed range indicator never matches the reality based on the details of a given drive. Unless your drive details are consistent. Then the trip computer is +/- a couple of MPGs.
Reset the trip computer after every fillup.
If you don't and your drive details are diff. the trip computer calculates based on the residual memory from the last drive's details.

My range to empty driving the same route is around 550 miles. When I tow my trailer up and down the mountains from PHX to UT, then it drops to 400 miles or so. It takes couple of resets to get it back to "normal, no tow" range when I am not towing.
Low fuel light is a better gauge (should never let it get to that point).
Low light can come on with 4, 6, or 8 remaining gallons depending on the vehicle's pre-set threshold from the factory.
my 2 cents!

Last edited:
I don't think the OP is describing a problem. I don't remember owning a vehicle that would accept the advertised fuel tank quantity and the distance to empty is just an estimate based on some calculation of previous fuel economy.

A 33 gallon tank is likely to hold less than 33 gallons of liquid fuel due to things like displacement from internal components like fuel pumps and sending units, and the location of the fuel inlet hose into the tank. If you look at an illustration of the ram fuel tank it appears there is part of the tank that sits higher than where the filler tube enters the tank. It looks like it's in the area for entry points for wiring and fuel lines so the manufacture probably though an air pocket in the tank would be better than constantly soaking these entry points in fuel.

Valid / accurate points!!

What I find harder to believe than the fact a fuel guage can't measure an inch of gas moving from front to back of the tank is that people still believe that gasoline is being used as a cooling fluid for an electric pump that will "overheat and burn up" in a giant can of gasoline vapor. undefined - Imgur.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back