5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 yr/36 month coverage ending

Bubba67

Reaction score
My 2021 Ram's factory warranty will be ending in Jan of 2024, and I recently picked up the extended warranty from Ziegler. Since it will have a $200 deductible, I thought about taking it to the local dealer and have them go through it mechanically, and possibly find something now instead of next year.

Have any of you taken your truck in for an inspection before the warranty expires?

Thank all!

Reverse

Reaction score
I did this, but got the distinct impression they didn't look very hard, probably because warranty repairs just don't pay as much as regular ones. Next time I'll probably invest a little money and have it done at an independent shop and then take the evidence to the dealer.

SacRebel

Reaction score
I pitted Mopar against Ziegler, who had a better price, and they matched it. I felt more comfortable with the Mopar one and having a more smooth process at the dealer. I did have to pay about $150 to have an inspector come out and inspect the truck. Mopar set all that up.

I’m not a fan of extended warranties. However, my 2019 with 31k miles is getting its third new engine..yes you read that right.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I pitted Mopar against Ziegler, who had a better price, and they matched it. I felt more comfortable with the Mopar one and having a more smooth process at the dealer. I did have to pay about $150 to have an inspector come out and inspect the truck. Mopar set all that up.

I’m not a fan of extended warranties. However, my 2019 with 31k miles is getting its third new engine..yes you read that right.
If the truck was still under the existing warranty I didn't think an inspection was required?
Also Zieglar sells the Mopar warranty I thought?
What were you looking at\who sold it to you?

swing4terps

Reaction score
I'm approaching the same situation on my '21. Can't bring myself to get MaxCare that doesn't cover LED headlights and other electronics.

Will likely get independent inspection before 3/36 expires.

Bubba67

Reaction score

I’m not a fan of extended warranties. However, my 2019 with 31k miles is getting its third new engine.. yes you read that right.
I thought the warranty from Ziegler and Mopar were the same, they are both Max care. Sorry to hear your on your 3rd engine :( Also, Zeigler did not require an inspection, I am looking out for myself, to try and find the issues, have Mopar pay for it, while still on the 3/36 program.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ziegler and Granger sell the Mopar Maxcare warranty, they are all the same and cover the same thing. The difference is the Ziegler & Granger sell the warranty at cost with $50 surcharge, while the dealership and Mopar try to make a higher profit margin.

Not sure why you would need an inspection, if purchased within the 36K/3 year period, you can always add Mopar Max Care without an inspection, even at the dealership level, at least from what I was told.

Also, remember that you have an existing 5 year / 60K powertrain warranty, people seem to forget they have this. Don't try to use your Max Care with deductible if you have a powertrain issue within that period/mileage.

Last edited:

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I am in favor of extended warranties on new vehicles these days. Or the purchase of a good one after the factory warranty expires if you are keeping the vehicle. With all the electronics, sensors, displays, special lighting, you name it, I think it is worth it. Check my signature, I bought an extended warranty when I purchased. It was $2600. Sounds like a lot, but it really isn't if you consider the cost of repairs these days. And I didn't finance it. Company is Assurant actually. $100 deductible. But it is full bumper to bumper just like the factory warranty. I just used it for the first time for my RF hub fail. It covered the tow to the dealer in real time. Only thing I didn't like is I couldn't get a rental car until they approved the claim. That took a couple of days by the time the dealer did the full up parts, labor, pricing to them and then they had to approve it. Then it ended up they finished it the next day so the rental car was moot. Total cost was only $870 so I still have a ways to go to break even on the warranty. I do have to tell you I have complete peace of mind though.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I am in favor of extended warranties on new vehicles these days. Or the purchase of a good one after the factory warranty expires if you are keeping the vehicle. With all the electronics, sensors, displays, special lighting, you name it, I think it is worth it. Check my signature, I bought an extended warranty when I purchased. It was $2600. Sounds like a lot, but it really isn't if you consider the cost of repairs these days. And I didn't finance it. Company is Assurant actually. $100 deductible. But it is full bumper to bumper just like the factory warranty. I just used it for the first time for my RF hub fail. It covered the tow to the dealer in real time. Only thing I didn't like is I couldn't get a rental car until they approved the claim. That took a couple of days by the time the dealer did the full up parts, labor, pricing to them and then they had to approve it. Then it ended up they finished it the next day so the rental car was moot. Total cost was only $870 so I still have a ways to go to break even on the warranty. I do have to tell you I have complete peace of mind though.

So unlike the Mopar Max Care, this is literally bumper to bumper, as in paint, body seals, rear frame glass, and all the other things Max Care doesn't actually cover?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, remember that you have an existing 5 year / 60K powertrain warranty, people seem to forget they have this. Don't try to use your Max Care with deductible if you have a powertrain issue within that period/mileage.
When the labor ops are ran at the dealer level it tells them if it is covered under powertrain or service contract. Almost all claims over $1000 need approval from Maxcare, this takes a few days on. It is a brutal process they have now. It pays the dealer all the same in the end.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When the labor ops are ran at the dealer level it tells them if it is covered under powertrain or service contract. Almost all claims over $1000 need approval from Maxcare, this takes a few days on. It is a brutal process they have now. It pays the dealer all the same in the end.
Sometimes it takes longer. My lifetime Maxcare warranty on my wife's Pacifica took 6 weeks for the dealer to get approval from the warranty folks. I even got ChryslerCares involved and they couldn't help.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes longer. My lifetime Maxcare warranty on my wife's Pacifica took 6 weeks for the dealer to get approval from the warranty folks. I even got ChryslerCares involved and they couldn't help.
It is awful, dealers can't call to talk to anyone.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
So unlike the Mopar Max Care, this is literally bumper to bumper, as in paint, body seals, rear frame glass, and all the other things Max Care doesn't actually cover?
The warranty I have reads that it covers everything unless excluded in this one section in there. I don't see paint, body seals, rear frame glass in that section. I can't speak for "all the other things" in the Max Care you are referencing.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
The warranty I have reads that it covers everything unless excluded in this one section in there. I don't see paint, body seals, rear frame glass in that section. I can't speak for "all the other things" in the Max Care you are referencing.
Never mind. It doesnt cover paint or glass or glass frames.

Attached is the contract.

Attachments

• AWS5020115.pdf
    753.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

mynameisante

Reaction score
Never mind. It doesnt cover paint or glass or glass frames.

Attached is the contract even though you may just be being sarcastic. I can't tell.
You got Assurant through the dealer? I googled Assurant and got their website but no contact information to get a quote. Although many search results were middle men

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
You got Assurant through the dealer? I googled Assurant and got their website but no contact information to get a quote. Although many search results were middle men
Yes I got the warranty through the dealer (Greenway in East Orlando) when I purchased new in 2019. Actually I have 5 separate active warranty contracts with Assurant at this time. Service Contract, Prepaid Maintenance, Paintless Dent Repair, Tire and Wheel Protection and Windshield Repair. The last three were bundled as one when I bought it.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score

Ziegler is a Mopar warranty, I have a 7yr/unlimited mileage warranty through them and used it 3 weeks ago for cracked exhaust manifolds and the AC TSB.
I added my maxcare warranty at 11K miles, no inspection, no nothing. Gave them the vin and mileage and paid the bill.

What I am curious about is anyone's experience with Progressive Insurance's Mechanical breakdown insurance

U

User_3336

I'm approaching the same situation on my '21. Can't bring myself to get MaxCare that doesn't cover LED headlights and other electronics.

Will likely get independent inspection before 3/36 expires.
yeah, it sucks that the MaxCare doesn't cover the LED headlights...... They actually should do like the Ford ESP, and offer a lighting option esp. It's only about $80 more on to the ESP cost, and you pay what ever deductible you have on your plan. Those LED assemblies are expensive!

Users who are viewing this thread