5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3" factory rake?

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I am about to do 5100 Bilsteins on my Rebel with 65k. Stock shocks and struts are basically done. Doing the pre-measurements, I am coming up with 3" of rake with the factory shocks/struts/springs. Does this seem right? The goal with the 5100's is to level the front.

Level pavement, measured from center of wheel to fender as well as ground to fender.

3" of current rake seems high though? I don't mind going up 2" with the 5100 and leaving a bit of rake. Just want to make sure I am not crazy here.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That does seem a little high by a half inch maybe. But not crazy.
Take a look at pics to see what you like. IMHO a Ram truly leveled by the numbers looks front-high and not right.
So 1” - 1.5” of rake not only looks better but is more functional.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
That does seem a little high by a half inch maybe. But not crazy.
Take a look at pics to see what you like. IMHO a Ram truly leveled by the numbers looks front-high and not right.
So 1” - 1.5” of rake not only looks better but is more functional.

This is actually my concern. I am going to the old "measure twice, cut once" and measure it a couple more times before I get started. I'd actually like to make sure I leave just a little rake like you said.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On level ground, I took my measurements from the ground to the start of the wheel well, running the tape vertically through center of wheel. I had about 2 1/4-2 1/2”” rake from the factory. Installed Rough Country 2” struts (gained 2 1/2”) and a 1” Morofab rear spacer. Truck now appears level but actually has about 3/4-1” rake. I agree with what @CalvinC said above. IMG_9786.jpeg IMG_0164.jpeg

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
On level ground, I took my measurements from the ground to the start of the wheel well, running the tape vertically through center of wheel. I had about 2 1/4-2 1/2”” rake from the factory. Installed Rough Country 2” struts (gained 2 1/2”) and a 1” Morofab rear spacer. Truck now appears level but actually has about 3/4-1” rake. I agree with what @CalvinC said above.

That looks really good. I guess with that being the case, I'll only set the rings in the front to go maybe 2" or so.

Also, looking at the instructions, I can't go any higher than that. So looks like 2" it is.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On level ground, I took my measurements from the ground to the start of the wheel well, running the tape vertically through center of wheel. I had about 2 1/4-2 1/2”” rake from the factory. Installed Rough Country 2” struts (gained 2 1/2”) and a 1” Morofab rear spacer. Truck now appears level but actually has about 3/4-1” rake. I agree with what @CalvinC said above. View attachment 176160 View attachment 176155

Yup, that looks absolutely perfect to my eye. Nice!

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep keep an 1-1.5 inches of rake. Looks nose high completely leveled with the sports hood. The rake doesn’t stand out as much once you go with a respectable tire size not like the factory 32”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Yep keep an 1-1.5 inches of rake. Looks nose high completely leveled with the sports hood. The rake doesn’t stand out as much once you go with a respectable tire size not like the factory 32”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I think it's safe to say I should just set the Bilstein 5100's to the 2" notch and call it a day?

Jedi9

Reaction score
No rebel, with aftermarket rear bumper and a tool box in the bed I only had 1 1/2" of rake, set the Bilsteins to max and installed Tuftruck 1 1/2" coils on the rear and I sit at 3/4" rake. I have a front bumper to put on this weekend, anticipating a little more rake. I plan to ride level pulling my little 5 x 8 enclosed work trailer, If I'm nose high I'll drop the front Bilsteins down.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I've got my 5100's set on the 4th notch (5th notch is as high as you can go on a Rebel). It leaves a bit of rake but looks okay. I just need bigger tires. 20221219_114200.jpg

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I too am going to install Bilstein Shocks in the front. I also am wondering what ring level (4th ring I'm told is a 2" lift.) to set it at. My Ram in my signature is stock except for the airbags the previous owner installed which doesn't raise the rear at low psi. Does anyone have pictures of the Bilstein's set on the 4th ring with a bighorn 4x4?

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I should have updated this thread. I went with the 5100's set to the highest setting for 2" of front lift. It's actually perfect. Truck retained about 1/2-3/4" of rake and I couldn't be happier with the look. I think it depends a lot on how many miles are on the truck as well. My Rebel has 67k so I imagine the springs are well set in. IMG_1868.jpg

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Doesn't the Rebel have a higher lift vrs the Bighorn? The rear at a minimum at least, so setting the 1500 Bilstein on a max rise would look different with the Rebel.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Doesn't the Rebel have a higher lift vrs the Bighorn? The rear at a minimum at least, so setting the 1500 Bilstein on a max rise would look different with the Rebel.

Difference is Rebel/ORP Trucks vs. Non-ORP. I can't remember what the difference in lift is but I believe it's 1-1.5" from the factory on the Rebel/ORP. Seems that the best way to level is measure the stock rake and go from there. I had almost 3" of factory rake right before I did my Bilsteins. Setting right to the 2" ring was perfect

The rings on the Bilsteins are in 1/2" increments. If you have 2" of factory rake, you'd want to go to the 3rd notch, or 1.5" to be safe. I had well over 2" of rake so I went to ring for 2".

Geddyflea

Reaction score
The Rebel has a factory 1" lift. That is the reason the recommended max ring setting is level 5 for a Rebel and I assume trucks with the off road package.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Hopefully someone will chime in with a non ORP truck with Bilstien 1500 install info and picks.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hopefully someone will chime in with a non ORP truck with Bilstien 1500 install info and picks.
Really, there would be no difference in the install except that you have two higher settings on the front struts to choose from. Using these higher settings would put you at the same height in front as an ORP. If you wanted the same for the rear you could go with 1 inch longer/taller springs or a spacer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online