5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.92s and airlift for towing?

Boston

Reaction score
Payload evaporates fast on the 2500 if you look at a Cummins powered unit. It’s a very heavy engine best suited to 3500 and above.
stick with Hemi at 2500.

GearHead71

Reaction score
I've been looking up different Laramie configurations with different options to try and get a sense of what affects payload the most (heaviest options) but it's been difficult.

Obviously the sunroof will be a hit, but does anyone know how much weight the ORP adds? It's on my wishlist but definitely not a NEED.

I've seen payload around 1300lbs and other similar spec'd trucks over 1600lbs...

Given the towing/payload chart it looks like the eTorque add 80lbs to the vehicle weight. So between removing that and the ORP package (I've got to imagine those skid plates are heavy) I'm hoping I can get my payload closer to the 1600lb. The sunroof is going to hurt though.

Last edited:

Txd33r

Reaction score
Here’s my short box limited with sunroof and air ride for reference.
B2FE8521-5FA0-499F-AC57-2D35A79B4124.jpeg

GearHead71

Reaction score
I looked through the "optional equipment weights" PDF that was posted in the "comprehensive guide to towing" thread and pulled out the following for a Laramie Short Box:

Power Sunroof
35​
lbs
Wheel to Wheel Side Steps
62​
lbs
32 gallon fuel tank
44​
lbs
4 corner Air Suspension
34​
lbs
Rambox
120​
lbs
Tow Hooks
22​
lbs
Transfer Case Skid
18​
lbs
Front Suspension Skid
9​
lbs
Spray in Bed Liner
26​
lbs

I'm hoping to build a Laramie with the 5.7 bed, short bed, with the 5.7L (maybe eTorque) and the following options:
Sunroof
Rambox
ORG
BUG
4 corner air suspension
Wheel to wheel side steps
32 gal fuel tank

Given those options that's a total of roughly 370lbs (this doesn't include EVERYTHING in those options but gets close).

Considering I'm building a new truck to hopefully tow a larger camper than we have now I'm going to have to look more at the 2500s before I decide. I'd still rather have a 1500 for daily use but the payload numbers aren't looking good.

Thanks so much for everyone's help so far!

Users who are viewing this thread