5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.92 with the Ecodiesel

Pristine1

Reaction score
Tow ratings are gimped, just like EPA mpg numbers are.

With our 8 speeds, in the real world, you won't see much difference towing between a 3.21 and a 3.92, sorry. Just the first and second gear. Take it a little bit slower off the line with the 3.21. These trucks are not that well equipped to handle over 8000 pounds; the suspension is squirrely, the payload is too little, and the truck is not heavy enough to control the tail.
You’re ignoring the mechanical advantage of having a better overall ratio in each gear. It doesn’t dissappear after 1st and 2nd. Your comparison isn’t apples to apples. You are not comparing gear for gear. Oh and your total tow rating is important because that includes the weight you put in the truck. If you plan to tow 8k with your truck and you only have 8k tow rating you surpass that by just putting a duffel bag in your truck. Maybe you’re a flat lander and have never towed a travel trailer up a steep grade through the mountains. The 8 speed helps limit the factors but the point is that you’ll still always have more available moving power especially up hill with the 3.92 gears. Especially if you have a gasser but it still will help the little diesel. I guess that Cummins in the 5500 doesn’t need 4.88 gears because they are no use with 1000 lbs of torque. If they had an 8 speed they could probably run a 3.21 too 😂. Don’t take this too seriously. It’s just numbers and they are fun to some of us.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You’re ignoring the mechanical advantage of having a better overall ratio in each gear. It doesn’t dissappear after 1st and 2nd. Your comparison isn’t apples to apples. You are not comparing gear for gear. Oh and your total tow rating is important because that includes the weight you put in the truck. If you plan to tow 8k with your truck and you only have 8k tow rating you surpass that by just putting a duffel bag in your truck. Maybe you’re a flat lander and have never towed a travel trailer up a steep grade through the mountains. The 8 speed helps limit the factors but the point is that you’ll still always have more available moving power especially up hill with the 3.92 gears. Especially if you have a gasser but it still will help the little diesel. I guess that Cummins in the 5500 doesn’t need 4.88 gears because they are no use with 1000 lbs of torque. If they had an 8 speed they could probably run a 3.21 too 😂. Don’t take this too seriously. It’s just numbers and they are fun to some of us.

We've been over this ad nauseam in the "engineers guide" thread. It doesn't work the way you think it does. Yes you get more torque in 3.92 in 6th then you do with the 3.21 in 6th; but the point you're missing is that both trucks will not be in the same gear at the same speed. If the 3.92 is in 6th, the 3.21 will be in 5th, where the torque/gear ratio is approximately equal to the 3.92 in 6th.

So yes, the differences between gear ratios are only 1st and 2nd, and then the 3.21 gets an extra final gear. The main highway gears available for use for towing, are equal across both axels.

Pristine1

Reaction score
We've been over this ad nauseam in the "engineers guide" thread. It doesn't work the way you think it does. Yes you get more torque in 3.92 in 6th then you do with the 3.21 in 6th; but the point you're missing is that both trucks will not be in the same gear at the same speed. If the 3.92 is in 6th, the 3.21 will be in 5th, where the torque/gear ratio is approximately equal to the 3.92 in 6th.

So yes, the differences between gear ratios are only 1st and 2nd, and then the 3.21 gets an extra final gear. The main highway gears available for use for towing, are equal across both axels.
This is assuming being in a perfect world though. You assume you would use different gears but when has factory programming ever been perfect. You very well could be in the same gear in many scenarios netting you better performance. These towing numbers are SAE rated. They’re not made up. I’d be pushing the Max of my tow rating with 3.21 gears and do not want to tow the max the truck is warrantied and engineered to tow.

According to these theories, you never stop the truck. On my drives I stop multiple times in the mountains. Twisting roads and trails. That are slower driving where you wouldn’t be in those hi gears. If you’re only talking about running on the highway then, yes they will be close but most people who go adventuring in the mountains are not just cruising a hilly highway. Then what happens when you have to stop in the middle of a mountain. One of my trips Traffic got slowed to almost a dead stop on my worst grade home that will overheat even new trucks. Who has the advantage here to get you going again in the middle of the worst scenarios the truck will see. 100 degree heat in the high desert. This type of stuff happens regularly during trips. I’ve re geared a Hemi ram from 3.55 to 4:10’s in the past. It was a night and day difference in tow. Also a greater difference it being a gasser that needs those high RPM’s. What about horsepower. This eco is not high on it. Getting into the higher rpms sooner with this diesel as the 3.92’s will do should push you into the little horsepower that this truck Does have. Another can of worms, I know 😝

silver billet

Reaction score
This is assuming being in a perfect world though. You assume you would use different gears but when has factory programming ever been perfect. You very well could be in the same gear in many scenarios netting you better performance. These towing numbers are SAE rated. They’re not made up. I’d be pushing the Max of my tow rating with 3.21 gears and do not want to tow the max the truck is warrantied and engineered to tow.

According to these theories, you never stop the truck. On my drives I stop multiple times in the mountains. Twisting roads and trails. That are slower driving where you wouldn’t be in those hi gears. If you’re only talking about running on the highway then, yes they will be close but most people who go adventuring in the mountains are not just cruising a hilly highway. Then what happens when you have to stop in the middle of a mountain. One of my trips Traffic got slowed to almost a dead stop on my worst grade home that will overheat even new trucks. Who has the advantage here to get you going again in the middle of the worst scenarios the truck will see. 100 degree heat in the high desert. This type of stuff happens regularly during trips. I’ve re geared a Hemi ram from 3.55 to 4:10’s in the past. It was a night and day difference in tow. Also a greater difference it being a gasser that needs those high RPM’s. What about horsepower. This eco is not high on it. Getting into the higher rpms sooner with this diesel as the 3.92’s will do should push you into the little horsepower that this truck Does have. Another can of worms, I know 😝

Nope, I fully understand the fact that first gear is where the difference lies.

As for factory programming; it's the same transmission in both trucks. Tow ratings are designed to test the truck in the most stressful situations. You need to accelerate up a hill in a certain amount of time under a max amount of heat etc. But just because you can do that in your truck, and pass the test, doesn't mean you can't take it slower if you have a 3.21. Not everybody drives up a hill like Andre/Roman.

I do appreciate your examples, but they are also extreme examples chosen to emphasize your view (I'd also argue that if you're stressing your truck THAT much, and that often, perhaps a 2500 is in your future). In the real world under most conditions, you're not going to notice anything except for that initial tug from a stop. Once you're rolling....

Pristine1

Reaction score
Not everyone but Andre/Roman? Actually saw Roman at the airport last year. He looked tired at 6am so I didn’t bug him.

Actually many of us do tow up hills and switch backs while towing 6-8000 lbs. Most of us out west do this. Why do you think TFL truck puts these trucks through the paces? For us!
You’ve kind of back tracked the logic here. At highway cruising speeds these gears can operate similarly. When under acceleration from a stop the 3.92’s will dominate in all gears. They don’t skip gears like your gear comparison that compares 3-4, 4-5 etc. All the gears have the advantage with 3.92 if you’re example is rowing through the gears under tow.
Question, do you tow and what? Putting the hammer down pretty good towing is what you are likely to do.

These trucks are not rockets unloaded so don’t expect to ***** foot it with a travel trailer on the back. You need all you can get when using them to actually work. Everyone who tows doesn’t need a 2500, they just need to know what they are working with. I can’t run a 2500 for my daily uses otherwise I’d be rocking one.

silver billet

Reaction score
Not everyone but Andre/Roman? Actually saw Roman at the airport last year. He looked tired at 6am so I didn’t bug him.

Actually many of us do tow up hills and switch backs while towing 6-8000 lbs. Most of us out west do this. Why do you think TFL truck puts these trucks through the paces? For us!
You’ve kind of back tracked the logic here. At highway cruising speeds these gears can operate similarly. When under acceleration from a stop the 3.92’s will dominate in all gears. They don’t skip gears like your gear comparison that compares 3-4, 4-5 etc. All the gears have the advantage with 3.92 if you’re example is rowing through the gears under tow.
Question, do you tow and what? Putting the hammer down pretty good towing is what you are likely to do.

These trucks are not rockets unloaded so don’t expect to ***** foot it with a travel trailer on the back. You need all you can get when using them to actually work. Everyone who tows doesn’t need a 2500, they just need to know what they are working with. I can’t run a 2500 for my daily uses otherwise I’d be rocking one.

I haven't back tracked at all. You're simply not understanding the argument :) You're comparing 5th vs 5th whereas you need to look carefully at the actual calculated gear ratios for both axels; then you'll see that the same gear ratios appear with both axels, except offset by one gear. I didn't say anything about "skipping gears".

For example, the gear ratio "3.21" appears in 6th for the 3.21 axel (makes sense, 6 is "direct drive"), and appears as "3.2144" in the 3.92 as 7th gear; therefore 6th gear in 3.21 = 7th gear in 3.92. Very similar gear ratios appear throughout both axels for the majority of highway gears.

I simply don't have the time or patience to wade through this all again and again and again. All the posts on this are in the "engineers guide" so I suggest you search inside there.

Pristine1

Reaction score
Actua
I haven't back tracked at all. You're simply not understanding the argument :) You're comparing 5th vs 5th whereas you need to look carefully at the actual calculated gear ratios for both axels; then you'll see that the same gear ratios appear with both axels, except offset by one gear. I didn't say anything about "skipping gears".

For example, the gear ratio "3.21" appears in 6th for the 3.21 axel (makes sense, 6 is "direct drive"), and appears as "3.2144" in the 3.92 as 7th gear; therefore 6th gear in 3.21 = 7th gear in 3.92. Very similar gear ratios appear throughout both axels for the majority of highway gears.

I simply don't have the time or patience to wade through this all again and again and again. All the posts on this are in the "engineers guide" so I suggest you search inside there.
Actually you’re not understanding it. I understand this all well and I didn’t learn it from a Ram Forum. When you accelerate from a stop or slow speed, you go through all the gears. That’s when the gears matter. Doesn’t matter if your 3rd gear is close to the 2nd gear with the 3.92’s. The 3.92’s will always be a step ahead and help get that extra weight up to speed quicker which makes it safer for merging with traffic. No you’re not in a race but getting up to near the speed of other traffic is safer for everyone on the road. I have 3.92’s because I will use them. Most people may not need them but they are there exactly for people like me who actually need them. As I’ve said before the 3.21’s will work for most people. If you’re using the truck close to its full capabilities the 3.92’s are there for that reason.

You never answered my question. What is it that you tow and what is your towing experience?

silver billet

Reaction score
Actually you’re not understanding it. I understand this all well and I didn’t learn it from a Ram Forum. When you accelerate from a stop or slow speed, you go through all the gears. That’s when the gears matter. Doesn’t matter if your 3rd gear is close to the 2nd gear with the 3.92’s. The 3.92’s will always be a step ahead and help get that extra weight up to speed quicker which makes it safer for merging with traffic. No you’re not in a race but getting up to near the speed of other traffic is safer for everyone on the road. I have 3.92’s because I will use them. Most people may not need them but they are there exactly for people like me who actually need them. As I’ve said before the 3.21’s will work for most people. If you’re using the truck close to its full capabilities the 3.92’s are there for that reason.

You never answered my question. What is it that you tow and what is your towing experience?

Like I said, do the math. There is no denying the 3.92 gets you off the line faster, but after second gear the 3.92 ratios are repeated with the 3.21, just 1 gear ahead. Therefore once you're moving, in the city or highway, as long as the 3.21 has a gear left to downshift into, there is no signifcant difference. A gear ratio is a gear ratio and it doesn't matter if the one truck has it in 5th and the other in 6th. Couple that fact with the additonal fact that these 1500's are limited most often by payload to <= 8000 pounds means that in reality the 3.21 is rated to tow the highest loads you can carry. You can't take one spec (tow rating) and overlook the others, your truck is limited by the lowest rating, and that is usually payload first unless you have a super basic big horn or tradesman. The 3.92 is not as needed as you think it is. Some people do get that unicorn truck that has high payload as well, and my viewpoint on that, is that you're entering 2500 territory and would have a safer, smoother, and stronger experience all around by moving up to a 2500 once you get past 8000 pounds. The 1500 is not well suited to towing huge loads, despite the ever increasing bogus "max tow" rating.

Pristine1

Reaction score
Like I said, do the math. There is no denying the 3.92 gets you off the line faster, but after second gear the 3.92 ratios are repeated with the 3.21, just 1 gear ahead. Therefore once you're moving, in the city or highway, as long as the 3.21 has a gear left to downshift into, there is no signifcant difference. A gear ratio is a gear ratio and it doesn't matter if the one truck has it in 5th and the other in 6th. Couple that fact with the additonal fact that these 1500's are limited most often by payload to <= 8000 pounds means that in reality the 3.21 is rated to tow the highest loads you can carry. You can't take one spec (tow rating) and overlook the others, your truck is limited by the lowest rating, and that is usually payload first unless you have a super basic big horn or tradesman. The 3.92 is not as needed as you think it is. Some people do get that unicorn truck that has high payload as well, and my viewpoint on that, is that you're entering 2500 territory and would have a safer, smoother, and stronger experience all around by moving up to a 2500 once you get past 8000 pounds. The 1500 is not well suited to towing huge loads, despite the ever increasing bogus "max tow" rating.
All you have repeated is the same forum jargon over and over. Everyone needs a 2500 and payload payload payload. Bogus Max tow rating is still something you must take into consideration. Actual engineers did. The cargo in your truck is part of that Max tow number. 500 lbs in your truck means 8000 became 7500. Do you want to tow 8000 lbs with something engineered and warrantied to tow 8000 or 9800? You can’t say neither but I know the smarter choice. I never said the 3.92 is the end all say all like your displaying I did. I simply stated multiple times it’s for Max towing and or if you plan for larger tires. I’ll be doing both.

You clearly have no towing experience as you’ve skipped that question every time. What do you tow?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actua

Right. If the drive ratio was identical in 7 of the 8 gears between the two axle ratios, do you really think FCA would have spent the money to source and offer two separate gear ratios? They offer the 3.92 option because it's worthwhile and it's an advantage.

When I've got 7,700 lbs. behind me at a red light, EVERY gear from 1 through 8 is an advantage for me with the 3.92s as I try to get up to highway speed.

When I decided I wanted to run tires that are larger than the lawn mower tires the factory installs, the 3.92s were an advantage to me.

I don't mind if a guy wants 3.21 gears in his truck. To each their own. But the idea that there is no difference between the two ratios other than which transmission gear it's in is just not correct. The final drive ratios between the two are not identical, and even if they were I'm a few hundred RPM ahead of you at every upshift which is critical when driving a 5,500 lb. vehicle capable of hauling and towing.

ammdrew

Reaction score
Both ratios will tow just fine. In fact I think you may hardly notice much different with the exception the 3.21 may hear hunt on the freeway a bit more. Fact of the matter is the rear gear will have more pressure heat when towing with the 3.21.. This use to actually be a issue but we do build stuff pretty well in the 2000’s so that will probably never be a issue for anyone.. Unless you are hotshoting with a half ton. I went with the low gears 3.96 because just like my last truck I expected to put larger tires on and it really killed the mileage with the 3.21’s and at 80 I saw a lot of gear hunting when crossing country,(last truck was a 19 5.7 3.21).

I am happy with my results with 34’s I have a nice split between 3.21-3.92 Highway speeds are great rpms steady and mileage still stellar compared to the 5.7 and all of my previous cummins versions. Tow rating is higher then my 97 3500 was and has no issue towing all my half ton toys around.

silver billet

Reaction score
All you have repeated is the same forum jargon over and over. Everyone needs a 2500 and payload payload payload. Bogus Max tow rating is still something you must take into consideration. Actual engineers did. The cargo in your truck is part of that Max tow number. 500 lbs in your truck means 8000 became 7500. Do you want to tow 8000 lbs with something engineered and warrantied to tow 8000 or 9800? You can’t say neither but I know the smarter choice. I never said the 3.92 is the end all say all like your displaying I did. I simply stated multiple times it’s for Max towing and or if you plan for larger tires. I’ll be doing both.

You clearly have no towing experience as you’ve skipped that question every time. What do you tow?

Suit yourself 🤷‍♂️ You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink. As I said several posts ago, I'm done with this discussion, all the math and numbers are in the "engineers guide" thread.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is hilarious. I have towed with both and they both do the job just fine. And as an FYI there was 0-60 times posted by FCA and the 3.21 was quicker in every gear with the hemi :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
This is hilarious. I have towed with both and they both do the job just fine. And as an FYI there was 0-60 times posted by FCA and the 3.21 was quicker in every gear with the hemi :ROFLMAO:

Really? I would have assumed a very slight advantage to the 3.92. Are there links you have somewhere?

Pristine1

Reaction score
There is no argument here that they can‘t both tow fine. I explained well and clear what the real world differences are. Put a larger tire on both, Hook up your 3.21 and 3.92 truck up to 8k, then race it up the 7% grade. We’re comparing towing here not grocery getters racing to red lights. Its hard explaining to someone who has no towing experience and can only regurgitate what they have learned in a chat room. I’ve yet to see any actual self knowledge brought to the table. If your 3.21‘s are so great, why can the Hemi pull 3k less lbs with them? Why does my eco have 1600 lbs more towing With the 3.92 gears? Why does my brothers 5500 have 4.88’s??? Why doesn’t it have magical 3.21’s 😂. All that Cummins off idle torque should do it with 2.21’s. Why do max tow packages all always come with the numerically highest gear ratio? These are all good questions you should ask yourself when you are talking about towing towards the top of your weight class.

Pristine1

Reaction score
Right. If the drive ratio was identical in 7 of the 8 gears between the two axle ratios, do you really think FCA would have spent the money to source and offer two separate gear ratios? They offer the 3.92 option because it's worthwhile and it's an advantage.

When I've got 7,700 lbs. behind me at a red light, EVERY gear from 1 through 8 is an advantage for me with the 3.92s as I try to get up to highway speed.

When I decided I wanted to run tires that are larger than the lawn mower tires the factory installs, the 3.92s were an advantage to me.

I don't mind if a guy wants 3.21 gears in his truck. To each their own. But the idea that there is no difference between the two ratios other than which transmission gear it's in is just not correct. The final drive ratios between the two are not identical, and even if they were I'm a few hundred RPM ahead of you at every upshift which is critical when driving a 5,500 lb. vehicle capable of hauling and towing.
It’s good to see someone with real world experience weather man. This is exactly correct. The new gear boxes have shortened these differences but it’s still an advantage in all gears regardless with weight like this in tow. Especially if that weight is pointed up hill.

Pristine1

Reaction score
Both ratios will tow just fine. In fact I think you may hardly notice much different with the exception the 3.21 may hear hunt on the freeway a bit more. Fact of the matter is the rear gear will have more pressure heat when towing with the 3.21.. This use to actually be a issue but we do build stuff pretty well in the 2000’s so that will probably never be a issue for anyone.. Unless you are hotshoting with a half ton. I went with the low gears 3.96 because just like my last truck I expected to put larger tires on and it really killed the mileage with the 3.21’s and at 80 I saw a lot of gear hunting when crossing country,(last truck was a 19 5.7 3.21).

I am happy with my results with 34’s I have a nice split between 3.21-3.92 Highway speeds are great rpms steady and mileage still stellar compared to the 5.7 and all of my previous cummins versions. Tow rating is higher then my 97 3500 was and has no issue towing all my half ton toys around.
This is exactly my argument for the 3.92 gears. Running larger tires and towing at the upper limit warrants the 3.92’s. Everybody else can get by with out them. Heat? Nah revving a smaller cog that will be turning faster and thrash Your bearings by generating too much heat? Don’t tell these boys that they wouldn’t understand that unless it was in an online engineering Forum 😉 The reason my hemi went from 3.55-4.10’s at 100k miles. My 3.55’s bearings were umm toast! 3.55’s hated the mountains with a passion. 4.10’s said what mountains? My dads 06 Cummins with 4.10’s? I could tow 10k with that and it Wouldn‘t down shift to gain speed up grades. Turbo went woot woot and away it went. Guys with the 3.73 gears got the down shift. There’s probably no advantages to numerically higher gear ratios though.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
why would you be racing up a grade pulling a trailer? I don’t think anyone has stated they are doing trailer pulling races

Last edited:

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is exactly my argument for the 3.92 gears. Running larger tires and towing at the upper limit warrants the 3.92’s. Everybody else can get by with out them. Heat? Nah revving a smaller cog that will be turning faster and thrash Your bearings by generating too much heat? Don’t tell these boys that they wouldn’t understand that unless it was in an online engineering Forum 😉 The reason my hemi went from 3.55-4.10’s at 100k miles. My 3.55’s bearings were umm toast! 3.55’s hated the mountains with a passion. 4.10’s said what mountains? My dads 06 Cummins with 4.10’s? I could tow 10k with that and it Wouldn‘t down shift to gain speed up grades. Turbo went woot woot and away it went. Guys with the 3.73 gears got the down shift. There’s probably no advantages to numerically higher gear ratios though.
I totally agree with you about the 3.92 rear axle ratio having the advantage for towing, its the same transmission with either rear axle ratio.
You are correct by saying the bearings would heat up in the rear end, but most of the heat is generated by the crown and pinion friction.
Axles with higher ratios require less effort to turn the pinion drive gear, but requires more revolutions.
The transmission requires less effort in this application but the engine will be at a higher rpm, so it is a win win situation for towing frequently, less effort for the transmission and less effort for the rear axles, both will run cooler and will outlast the harder working systems.

Someone had commented earlier about racing going up a hill while towing, it doesn’t really matter how fast you make it up the hill, the hill is the same with either axle ratios, the advantage is with the 3.92 rear because the transmission will shift all the way up to the 8th gear with less effort and will get to the 8th gear sooner than with the 3.21.
So if you race or if you take it easy going up the same hill it will require less effort, create less heat and use less gas/fuel with the 3.92.

The 3.92 has the advantage for city driving, less effort to get the truck moving at every stop or red light, the only advantage for the 3.21 is for highway driving while not towing and not having bigger wheels.

I have been driving trucks and towing for 4 decades, the transmissions have come a long way, my first was a 5 speed manual. I really like my Rebel with the small displacement diesel, most of my driving does not require towing and my loaded trailers are less than the max towing capacity. It’s hard to believe that my truck gets to 4th gear by the time it reaches the end of my driveway

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
There is no argument here that they can‘t both tow fine. I explained well and clear what the real world differences are. Put a larger tire on both, Hook up your 3.21 and 3.92 truck up to 8k, then race it up the 7% grade. We’re comparing towing here not grocery getters racing to red lights. Its hard explaining to someone who has no towing experience and can only regurgitate what they have learned in a chat room. I’ve yet to see any actual self knowledge brought to the table. If your 3.21‘s are so great, why can the Hemi pull 3k less lbs with them? Why does my eco have 1600 lbs more towing With the 3.92 gears? Why does my brothers 5500 have 4.88’s??? Why doesn’t it have magical 3.21’s 😂. All that Cummins off idle torque should do it with 2.21’s. Why do max tow packages all always come with the numerically highest gear ratio? These are all good questions you should ask yourself when you are talking about towing towards the top of your weight class.

You're argument style is best described as .... "come at me bro!!" I have little respect or time for people that argue like you, and considering your very new account here, and your obvious intent to "yell" and not listen, well, I got better things to do with my time. (And NOBODY said anything about larger tires, don't move the goal posts). But anyway:

Couple key points here: the ZF 8 speed with 3.21 absolutely dominates every 6 speed I've done the math for, including the Toyota Tundra and 4 variants used by Ram heavy duty trucks (the RFE's and the Aisins).

Example:
first gear ratio with 3.21 is 16.05
first gear ratio with Aisin AS68RC and 4.44 is 16.65 (so slight win for the Aisin, but remember the ZF has 2 extra gears so as it's upshifting it will have closer ratios)

Yes that's right. You need a 4.44 just to MATCH the first gear ratio available with the 3.21 8 speed. And then the 8 speed still has extra gears.

What about the RFE's?
first gear ratio with 65RFE and 4.44 is 13.32
first gear ratio with 65RFE and 4.89 is 14.67

Yeah. The 3.21 ZF has a much higher gear ratio than the 6 speed with a 4.89

Next time do the math before posting. And feel free to make all the assumptions you like about my towing history, I'm quite amused.

Users who are viewing this thread