5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.92 with the Ecodiesel

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of good stuff and funny comments (intended and otherwise :cool: ) in this thread.

I went with the "diesel has a lot of torque and a 3.21 is all I need" school of thought. It was a bit of a guess. I don't tow much and what I anticipate will be mostly a 6x12 single-axle utility trailer (2' walls, 4' drop gate/ramp).

Once I get my truck, I'll run it as is (ORP) for about a year. Then I plan on a moderate lift (2" max), and 34" tires. I'm hoping that won't be too much for the diff ratio. If y'all see a nice set of 34" tires on sale, slightly used, a year from now, you'll now it didn't work. ;)
34” tires will be no issue at all. The eco diesel make its max torque at like 1,600 rpms I think. To be honest now that I’ve had mine for a while I think the 3.21 on the eco diesel is the way to go if you do a lot of highway driving. I drive 80 miles round trip for work every day. Using summer blend diesel I was getting 26-27mpg. Half of my drive I’m going 65 the other half is 75mph. I bet I’d be pushing 30mpg if I had 3.21 gears. The diesel has enough low end torque that is still be able to pull my camper just fine. I bought my truck off the lot. If I ordered myself one I’d get the 3.21

Croaker

Reaction score
Even if the window sticker says “3.21”, is it possible the Ecodiesel get the “3.55” or “3.92” rear end?
I guess the best way to check is to look at the sticker on the axle?…. 9CAC9F23-E8BC-4B85-AA0E-81867BF620BF.jpeg

andrews3338

Reaction score
My dealer said I could get the other gears offered when we were configuring my build. I figured RAM must have made the 3.92 a default for a reason so I just stuck with that reason, whatever it is.
I have had the 3.92 locked rear diff from the factory in my 2014 Ram CC Hemi. It is available in gas and diesel trims. If you build a truck at ramtrucks.com, you will see that this is true. Please don't spread incorrect info.

andrews3338

Reaction score
I was able to begin a factory order with the ecodiesel and a 3.21. Had to be a custom override. Then we found one with 95% of what I wanted a couple hours away. Good enough or I'd still be waiting on a truck.

Still stupid that tow mirrors kill surround view. Def considering having a lawyer send a nasty gram to FCA threatening class action for nuking 2,000 of option on the Monroney with a tow package that everyone is obviously going to get.
I am able to use the surround view on my 2022 Ram LH CC with my tow mirrors in any position, up or down. What issue are you experiencing?

andrews3338

Reaction score
Looks like a 4 MPG advantage for the 3.21, which is a lot.

Other truck had air suspension, which lowers on the highway, and was broken in, so less mechanical resistance in the engine. Apples to apples, I dont think it's 4 mpg. Maybe 2 but it's worth it to me for the better and drivability.

LX Sport

Reaction score
I have had the 3.92 locked rear diff from the factory in my 2014 Ram CC Hemi. It is available in gas and diesel trims. If you build a truck at ramtrucks.com, you will see that this is true. Please don't spread incorrect info.

you realize you're replying to a 2 year old post, right?

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am able to use the surround view on my 2022 Ram LH CC with my tow mirrors in any position, up or down. What issue are you experiencing?
on the 2020s ordering the trailer tow option with tow mirrors removed the surround view camera option. You can get them onl,ate 2021 and 2022s including powerfold. Parts not even there. $200 option took out $3000 in equipment. You can retorfit it but the cost is astronomical.

heffy

Reaction score
My new Rebel eco diesel is only getting 18.5 miles per gallon...why does everyone else seem to be getting better milage. I'm using Hotshots Everyday diesel treatment as well.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My new Rebel eco diesel is only getting 18.5 miles per gallon...why does everyone else seem to be getting better milage. I'm using Hotshots Everyday diesel treatment as well.
Driving conditions play a huge role in mileage. Are you an aggressive driver or have lots of stop and go traffic?

heffy

Reaction score
Driving conditions play a huge role in mileage. Are you an aggressive driver or have lots of stop and go traffic?
Yes I'm aggressive when I drive, anyone else only getting 18 ish?

LX Sport

Reaction score
Im sure if a floored it from every light, Id get close to that. I drive almost exclusively back roads/city roads with plenty of lights, I avg between 24-25.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I'm aggressive when I drive, anyone else only getting 18 ish?
Yeah, but only when I tow my utility trailer at 80mph.
;)
Otherwise, 25mph around town (rural/exburbs). If I nurse it (mid 60s), I get 30+mpg on the highway.

heffy

Reaction score
Driving around town i'm getting 18.5 miles per gallon, not to many places for me to be gunning it from light to light. I'm never coasting to try to get the best milage but i think I should be getting better milage then this. The truck has 6000 miles on it. On the highway going between 75 & 80 I get 20 miles per gallon

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Driving around town i'm getting 18.5 miles per gallon, not to many places for me to be gunning it from light to light. I'm never coasting to try to get the best milage but i think I should be getting better milage then this. The truck has 6000 miles on it. On the highway going between 75 & 80 I get 20 miles per gallon

Sounds just about right. I saw 20 MPG with my EcoDiesels on slightly larger than stock tires. Since your Rebel came with more aggressive tires you should be in the same 20 MPG ballpark. Add your aggressive driving style and 18.5 is perfectly normal.

The guys claiming 25+ are running flimsy 35 lb. stock tires with 3.21 axle gears, a tail wind, on level grade.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds just about right. I saw 20 MPG with my EcoDiesels on slightly larger than stock tires. Since your Rebel came with more aggressive tires you should be in the same 20 MPG ballpark. Add your aggressive driving style and 18.5 is perfectly normal.

The guys claiming 25+ are running flimsy 35 lb. stock tires with 3.21 axle gears, a tail wind, on level grade.
If you mean 25mpg combined, I'm likely in that neighborhood or slightly better--not counting when towing miles. I've got the ORG with the OEM Falkens and 3.92. Driving between 0 and 6600' elevation, mostly 1000'-4000'. Not driving aggressive though. I've never gone solely in the city between fill-ups, so I don't know what my city mileage might be. I do tend to stay within 5mph of the speed limit, though.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I average 26-28mpg. 95% highway driving.
3.92 Fully loaded Limited trim. Stock everything

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Yep, and proud of it.

farmer_aj

Reaction score
I so very much regret not reading this forum until after my purchase. Last week, I purchased a 2021 Laramie Longhorn with the 3.0 EcoDiesel and 3.92 gearing. My trade in was a 2019 Ford F150 with the 3.0 PowerStroke V6. In my side job, I normally transport 20 bumper pull travel trailers annually, weighing between 5000-9000 pounds. My biggest complaint is HIGHWAY MILEAGE! I drive normally 80 with the cruise on going to pick up these trailers empty and averaged 25-27mpg with my Ford. Driving home the best I can get with the Ram is 21-22mpg. This figure alone has already got me looking to see when I can get out of the truck without loosing way too much money. Yes, I am quietly kicking myself for not reading about the difference of the 3.21 vs 3.92.
Feels, I wish I had known this before I accepted my 2022 Ram Ecodiesel in which I'm not seeing 20-21 mpg on the highway as well

TSL

Reaction score
Feels, I wish I had known this before I accepted my 2022 Ram Ecodiesel in which I'm not seeing 20-21 mpg on the highway as well
I have a '22 Rebel Ecodiesel. Rebel only comes with 3.92. Early days yet, only have 300 miles on the truck, but on first 'real' drive, which was 2 lane mountain roads out to the Oregon coast, I got 26mpg round trip. Was driving fairly gently, no aggressive acceleration, didn't pass 60 to 65mph on the trip, which did include some urban driving as well.
We will see if it keeps this up as I get more familiar with it and perhaps drive in a bit more spirited fashion ! ( It's my first truck, coming from a much smaller vehicle ( '07 Subaru Outback ), so I'm driving somewhat cautiously as I get used to this "monster" :) )

Attachments

• FirstTrip_MPG.jpg
    FirstTrip_MPG.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 15

HST

Reaction score
I have a 2020 limited off road package 392 ratio with front level and 34.5 falken wild peak tires .
Just towed a BMW M2 on a aluminum trailer from Florida to Michigan and averaged
18.5 mpg running 70 mph. with the size of the tires the rear end ratio is around 3.65 .
works well for me .

Users who are viewing this thread