5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.92 vs 3.21 Who Wins? TruckTrend data shows...

rudyyoko

Reaction score
My 2014 ram express quad cab 4x4 8spd auto and 3.21 gears had no problem towing a 7k travel trailer. That truck had more acceleration than I could have ever wanted pulling a trailer. I used to pull 10k horse trailers with an 1986 one ton crew cab dually 4x4, and a 97 ext cab 2500 with a V10 and a manual transmission. Oh, and the 14 ram never overheated, got a little bit warmer at times, but never a concern. For me, I got more than enough truck to do what I need. But that is the deal, get what you need for your intended purpose. Either way you slice it, a 5.7 hemi with the 8spd auto still has more power to the rear wheels than any stock 80s big block v8.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
My 2014 ram express quad cab 4x4 8spd auto and 3.21 gears had no problem towing a 7k travel trailer. That truck had more acceleration than I could have ever wanted pulling a trailer. I used to pull 10k horse trailers with an 1986 one ton crew cab dually 4x4, and a 97 ext cab 2500 with a V10 and a manual transmission. Oh, and the 14 ram never overheated, got a little bit warmer at times, but never a concern. For me, I got more than enough truck to do what I need. But that is the deal, get what you need for your intended purpose. Either way you slice it, a 5.7 hemi with the 8spd auto still has more power to the rear wheels than any stock 80s big block v8.
Well said.

JDBob35a

Reaction score
I agree that 3:55 would be a best of both worlds option. My new truck has the 3:21, I pull two different trailers with it. An 20' aluminum bass boat (Don't even know you have it back there & Pull it pretty much weekly), and occasionally pull a V-nose enclosed car hauler with a '75 vette in it. Pulled the car hauler for the first time with the new truck last week. Definitely know it's back there, but had no trouble getting it rolling and ran between 70-75 on the interstate (Really bad mpg :eek:), If you pulled that all the time prolly the 3:92s or better yet move to a 3/4 ton truck. But for what I do, mostly the boat trailer and bobtail I'm perfectly happy with my decision to go 3:21. If I want to drag race That's what the vette in the trailers is for :LOL:.

alow

Reaction score
It really should be done with the only difference being the ratios. I'm not sure why these places cant figure that out. I'm guessing its simply what they have in the test pool. I'd think the 3:92 for towing / 3:21 for some gas savings still holds some water.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe it's important to remember that despite the performance numbers being very similar, the difference in towing capacity between the 3.21 and 3.92 equipped trucks is not just determined by trap times.

JAGITA

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Billy James, message: 81246, membre: 1725"] La taille du pneu rapproche ces deux rapports de conduite. En effectuant simplement des "calculs rapides" sans formules compliquées, avec ces tailles, le rapport de réduction effectif de Rebel serait réduit à environ 3,766. Mon impression est que nous observons une différence de poids / masse de rotation du pneu. Le LT275 / 70R18 Falken AT3 / W pèse 61 livres; le Bridgestone Dueler H / L P275 / 55R20 (comme sur mon Laramie) pèse 41 livres. Je parierais que si vous preniez deux camions équipés de la même façon, avec les mêmes pneus et roues (l’un avec 3,21 et l’autre avec 3,92 engrenages), les résultats seraien FileZilla https://downloader.vip/malwarebytes/ https://downloader.vip/rufus/ ] t inversés et avec une marge plus large. Si quelque chose cela devrait prouver pourquoi vous devriez avoir 3,92 engrenages si vous voulez avoir des pneus hors route plus gros. Intéressant cependant; Je devais aller lire l'article et voir par moi-même.
JE PRIS CELUI D'UN AUTRE FORUM D'UN AUTRE FORUM, MAIS CELA M'INTÉRESSERA

Source: Concours camionnette de l'année 2019 de TruckTrend
Article: "Running The Gauntlet" de TruckTrend, numéro de mars / avril 2019
3.92- 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 4X4
  • Moteur: 5.7L V8 avec eTorque
  • Poids: 5 534 lb
  • Pneus: LT275 / 70R18
  • Capacité de carburant: 33 GAL
  • Diamètre de pneu (via calculateur en ligne): 33.2 po

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Billy James, message: 81246, membre: 1725"] La taille du pneu rapproche ces deux rapports de conduite. En effectuant simplement des "calculs rapides" sans formules compliquées, avec ces tailles, le rapport de réduction effectif de Rebel serait réduit à environ 3,766. Mon impression est que nous observons une différence de poids / masse de rotation du pneu. Le LT275 / 70R18 Falken AT3 / W pèse 61 livres; le Bridgestone Dueler H / L P275 / 55R20 (comme sur mon Laramie) pèse 41 livres. Je parierais que si vous preniez deux camions équipés de la même façon, avec les mêmes pneus et roues (l’un avec 3,21 et l’autre avec 3,92 engrenages), les résultats seraien FileZilla https://downloader.vip/malwarebytes/ https://downloader.vip/rufus/ ] t inversés et avec une marge plus large. Si quelque chose cela devrait prouver pourquoi vous devriez avoir 3,92 engrenages si vous voulez avoir des pneus hors route plus gros. Intéressant cependant; Je devais aller lire l'article et voir par moi-même.
JE PRIS CELUI D'UN AUTRE FORUM D'UN AUTRE FORUM, MAIS CELA M'INTÉRESSERA

Source: Concours camionnette de l'année 2019 de TruckTrend
Article: "Running The Gauntlet" de TruckTrend, numéro de mars / avril 2019
3.92- 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 4X4
  • Moteur: 5.7L V8 avec eTorque
  • Poids: 5 534 lb
  • Pneus: LT275 / 70R18
  • Capacité de carburant: 33 GAL
  • Diamètre de pneu (via calculateur en ligne): 33.2 po

Uhhhh, pardon your french?

Jackham

Reaction score
Just another example of car magazines making it look impossible to simply test identical trucks. I swear they do it on purpose just to generate discussion. It like comparing camaro with mustang one with a six cylinder and one with a eight. You wouldn't read past the first paragraph but for some reason the truck tests are nealy alway like that.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just another example of car magazines making it look impossible to simply test identical trucks. I swear they do it on purpose just to generate discussion. It like comparing camaro with mustang one with a six cylinder and one with a eight. You wouldn't read past the first paragraph but for some reason the truck tests are nealy alway like that.

The mags don't get to choose what they get for vehicles unless they go out and purchase one from a dealer just like you or I. Of course the mfg's try to accommodate when they can, however, with only a certain amount of press vehicles in a fleet, and a huge number of VLOGS, mags, and other people trying to get their hands on these trucks, it's hard to get what you want exactly.

Jackham

Reaction score
Kind of a dumb reply. If ANYONE is seeking information they will not find it if they want to see head to head. It isn't about me lumping it. It is about the fact they could do a better job as it is their occupation.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Kind of a dumb reply. If ANYONE is seeking information they will not find it if they want to see head to head. It isn't about me lumping it. It is about the fact they could do a better job as it is their occupation.

You just don't understand magazines. They are at the mercy of whatever the manufacturers give them. The mags use what the manufacturers bring to press days or what they are given for long term tests. They are going to make a few combinations available but not everyone and the mags aren't about to buy a bunch of vehicles for testing just to meet everyone's personal testing criteria.

Jackham

Reaction score
You just don't understand magazines. They are at the mercy of whatever the manufacturers give them. The mags use what the manufacturers bring to press days or what they are given for long term tests. They are going to make a few combinations available but not everyone and the mags aren't about to buy a bunch of vehicles for testing just to meet everyone's personal testing criteria.
Well then the reality is you just can't get much out of these comparisons. They just as well run a peanut butter and jelly sandwich test against roast beef.

Fastman21

Reaction score
This is silly. Put the same tires and ride height on each and retest. My money is on the 3.92 for performance and the 3.21 for economy.

If you need to tow more than 4 tons or want to tool around on big tires you've got one choice - 3.92. On the other hand if you don't have those requirements and want to save some scratch 3.21.

Anyone know if we can you order with the 3.55 yet? For a bunch of us that would be the best choice.
How about putting some street tires on the Rebel 18 inch rims ?

Users who are viewing this thread