5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.92 Rear End Noise

ddharris

Reaction score
When the dealer gave it back to me, they knew it still had the original noise at 44 mph. I'm not sure they drove it long enough to hear all the other noises.

They wouldn't replace the entire differential at my request. They were afraid Chrysler would not pay for it. They waited another month for the return of the area manager to drive it and approve the entire differential replacement.

I've got issues with either the front differential and or transfer case as well making groaning noises. It sounds dry to me. I'm currently fighting with them about that as well.

I've never bought a vehicle before with as many factory defects as this truck. FCA customer service isn't the greatest either. Completely miserable 1 year ownership experience.

I wish you all the best with yours!
Thanks. Sorry for all the headache you have been through.

Belvata

Reaction score
Does anyone who has a 3.92 Rear end get any kind of high pitched noises or gear whines?

I originally had a high pitched noise from the factory at 43 - 44 mph. The Chrysler rep drove my vehicle and had the dealer replace the rear ring & pinion plus associated bearings.

After the rebuild, I now have the same 44 mph high pitched noise, but its range extends from 42 mph to 48 mph. I have also gained a similar noise at 32 mph and 70 mph. In addition now, when coming to a stop, I can hear the gears wind down, sort of like a turbo spooling down. It's so annoying.

At highway speeds I can now hear a wha wha wha wha sound from the gears.
My quiet cabin now sounds like I'm driving a 1950's pick up truck.

The rep was correct, the original high pitched noise was coming from the rear differential, but after the rebuild it is exponentially worse.

The Chrysler rep is coming back so I can ride with him and decide what to do next.

My truck has been in the shop cumulatively for around 35 days for this issue and many other factory defects.

My question: does anyone else who has a 3.92 Rear end hear any kind of high pitched noises, whines or noises in general?

Mine was whisper quiet except for the 44 mph high pitched noise before the rebuild.

Input is appreciated. Thanks.
I have the same thing
Can you let me know when they find it?
I’ve brought it in to dealer 3 times and they say it’s normal
Thanks
Belvata

ddharris

Reaction score
I can report back that after replacement of ring and pinion set/ bearings and backlash set noise is gone. I have not gotten to over 65 mph but so far dead silent. I would bet 4x4 differentials are a much different story. 4x2 maybe an easier task.

Official issue per technician was " inspected and found gear wear pattern to deep into ring gear".

Last edited:

ddharris

Reaction score
Dealer I purchased truck at stated it was " normal noise". Luckily the 2nd dealer I took it to is 5 miles from my house. Davis Chrysler ram jeep in Yulee, Fl. Great job by them. Only without 3 days. Parts had to be ordered.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Dealer I purchased truck at stated it was " normal noise". Luckily the 2nd dealer I took it to is 5 miles from my house. Davis Chrysler ram jeep in Yulee, Fl. Great job by them. Only without 3 days. Parts had to be ordered.
I'm so glad yours is back up and running quietly.

I just dropped mine off today for its service appointment tomorrow. The entire rear differential will be replaced.

I wanted to go for a test drive with the service manager concerning noise that my truck makes when in 4WD AUto. The service manager and area manager both say the noise is normal. I'm pretty much screwed as far as that goes. I asked others on this forum if their trucks make noise in 4WD Auto and the consensus was whisper quiet. So, needless to say I didn't go for a ride. The service manager will just say it's normal. What a bunch of....

ddharris

Reaction score
I'm so glad yours is back up and running quietly.

I just dropped mine off today for its service appointment tomorrow. The entire rear differential will be replaced.

I wanted to go for a test drive with the service manager concerning noise that my truck makes when in 4WD AUto. The service manager and area manager both say the noise is normal. I'm pretty much screwed as far as that goes. I asked others on this forum if their trucks make noise in 4WD Auto and the consensus was whisper quiet. So, needless to say I didn't go for a ride. The service manager will just say it's normal. What a bunch of....
Thank you. I'm hoping the same for you.

chainsaw

Reaction score
I know I’ma little late on the thread. I just got my truck back from having back glass replaced, third light replaced, windshield replaced due to leaking from all of them. Had to order new headliner as well. While there, I had them dig into the whining I was hearing too. Mine’s got the 3.92 rear end. They said it was water in the differential, and said I need to quit backing the boat up so far into the water. I’ve never pulled a boat with this truck… smh it’s about to go back, screwed a few other things up while it was there, and it’s still got a little whining. I’m at 35k miles too.

Users who are viewing this thread