5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.92 Rear End Noise

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Chrysler doesn't shim the carrier, They use a bearing tensioner that has to be torqued through the axle tube before the axle shafts are installed and then locked in place before sliding the axles in. They may not have checked for the proper turning preload on the pinion to verify they crushed the crush sleeve of the pinion properly.
That's good to know. Thanks for educating me in that. The more knowledge I have, the more it will help me when trying to get Chrysler to make this right.

At this point I will not be happy until they replace the entire rear axle/differential assembly. There is no way a dealer shop can replicate the precision (or lack thereof in my case) from the factory.

Thanks for your input.

R

Rob5589

That's good to know. Thanks for educating me in that. The more knowledge I have, the more it will help me when trying to get Chrysler to make this right.

At this point I will not be happy until they replace the entire rear axle/differential assembly. There is no way a dealer shop can replicate the precision (or lack thereof in my case) from the factory.

Thanks for your input.
Not a true statement. An experienced tech can get it done. But like I mentioned previously, they aren't many that set up ring and pinions regularly. Being that your issue is under warranty, you're stuck using a shop/tech that may not have that experience. In that case, a complete rear differential is probably what you want to push for. Good luck, it's gotta be frustrating.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Not a true statement. An experienced tech can get it done. But like I mentioned previously, they aren't many that set up ring and pinions regularly. Being that your issue is under warranty, you're stuck using a shop/tech that may not have that experience. In that case, a complete rear differential is probably what you want to push for. Good luck, it's gotta be frustrating.
Frustrating is an understatement! This truck has been plagued with issues. The differential issue (just one of many issues) has been since day 1 of ownership. I waited until early summer to take it into the dealer because I knew I would have to deal with B S. Like this.

The service manager at the dealership has been excellent. There are so many factory defects with my truck other than the differential. It's going to be a long long haul to get them all sorted out.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I am on my 3rd ram with 3.92 rear end, and have nothing. I know my previous ones with the limited slip had to have special oil added to it or it would have a high pitch sound..

Belvata

Reaction score
Does anyone who has a 3.92 Rear end get any kind of high pitched noises or gear whines?

I originally had a high pitched noise from the factory at 43 - 44 mph. The Chrysler rep drove my vehicle and had the dealer replace the rear ring & pinion plus associated bearings.

After the rebuild, I now have the same 44 mph high pitched noise, but its range extends from 42 mph to 48 mph. I have also gained a similar noise at 32 mph and 70 mph. In addition now, when coming to a stop, I can hear the gears wind down, sort of like a turbo spooling down. It's so annoying.

At highway speeds I can now hear a wha wha wha wha sound from the gears.
My quiet cabin now sounds like I'm driving a 1950's pick up truck.

The rep was correct, the original high pitched noise was coming from the rear differential, but after the rebuild it is exponentially worse.

The Chrysler rep is coming back so I can ride with him and decide what to do next.

My truck has been in the shop cumulatively for around 35 days for this issue and many other factory defects.

My question: does anyone else who has a 3.92 Rear end hear any kind of high pitched noises, whines or noises in general?

Mine was whisper quiet except for the 44 mph high pitched noise before the rebuild.

Input is appreciated. Thanks.
I have same problem
Working with dealer to resolve
Thanks
Belvata

Belvata

Reaction score
Frustrating is an understatement! This truck has been plagued with issues. The differential issue (just one of many issues) has been since day 1 of ownership. I waited until early summer to take it into the dealer because I knew I would have to deal with B S. Like this.

The service manager at the dealership has been excellent. There are so many factory defects with my truck other than the differential. It's going to be a long long haul to get them all sorted out.

Belvata

Reaction score
Please let us know what you find
Mine does the same thing
Thanks belvata

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I have same problem
Working with dealer to resolve
Thanks
Belvata
So, do you have a high pitched noise at one specific speed, or do you get multiple instances of that noise coming from the rear differential?

Any gear whines as well?

What is your dealer doing to correct the probkem?

Thanks.

Belvata

Reaction score
So, do you have a high pitched noise at one specific speed, or do you get multiple instances of that noise coming from the rear differential?

Any gear whines as well?

What is your dealer doing to correct the probkem?

Thanks.
Yes I have whine between 50 &60 MPH
The dealer is going to look into it next week

cadillacrules

Reaction score
Does anyone who has a 3.92 Rear end get any kind of high pitched noises or gear whines?

I originally had a high pitched noise from the factory at 43 - 44 mph. The Chrysler rep drove my vehicle and had the dealer replace the rear ring & pinion plus associated bearings.

After the rebuild, I now have the same 44 mph high pitched noise, but its range extends from 42 mph to 48 mph. I have also gained a similar noise at 32 mph and 70 mph. In addition now, when coming to a stop, I can hear the gears wind down, sort of like a turbo spooling down. It's so annoying.

At highway speeds I can now hear a wha wha wha wha sound from the gears.
My quiet cabin now sounds like I'm driving a 1950's pick up truck.

The rep was correct, the original high pitched noise was coming from the rear differential, but after the rebuild it is exponentially worse.

The Chrysler rep is coming back so I can ride with him and decide what to do next.

My truck has been in the shop cumulatively for around 35 days for this issue and many other factory defects.

My question: does anyone else who has a 3.92 Rear end hear any kind of high pitched noises, whines or noises in general?

Mine was whisper quiet except for the 44 mph high pitched noise before the rebuild.

Input is appreciated. Thanks.
Nope, no noise not should there be in gear noise from any gear set no matter the ratio.
Noisy gears/bearings means an improper installation set up.
Now given your is a new delivery this would suggest the housing may be 'off' some how in its final machining or perhaps axle tubes although that seems an unlikely source of a whine ...

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Belvata

Reaction score
Nope, no noise not should there be in gear noise from any gear set no matter the ratio.
Now given your is a new delivery this would suggest the housing may be 'off' some how in its final machining or perhaps axle tubes although that seems an unlikely source of a whine ...

I have a case opened with FCA and they are working with dealer
Belvata

The_Chemist

Reaction score

Thanks for your reply.

Hopefully I'll soon get to meet the area manager to get some kind of satisfaction. There is absolutely no sense of urgency on FCA's Part.

Belvata

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

Hopefully I'll soon get to meet the area manager to get some kind of satisfaction. There is absolutely no sense of urgency on FCA's Part.
Mine happens around 50 MPH and is most pronounced at 52 MPH
SOUNDS LIKE A COKE BOTTLE EFFECT?
Belvata

ddharris

Reaction score
Just took mine in for 46-50 rear whine on throttle. Ring and pinion set ordered.
Will report back if they get it right.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Just took mine in for 46-50 rear whine on throttle. Ring and pinion set ordered.
Will report back if they get it right.
Good luck with that.

That's what was replaced in my rear diff originally... Possibly the housing was also bad because it made more noises after the repair. I also think the gears weer not aligned properly.

Next Tuesday my truck goes in for an entire new rear differential.

I'll report back as well.

ddharris

Reaction score
Good luck with that.

That's what was replaced in my rear diff originally... Possibly the housing was also bad because it made more noises after the repair. I also think the gears weer not aligned properly.

Next Tuesday my truck goes in for an entire new rear differential.

I'll report back as well.
Eeeck

The_Chemist

Reaction score
From the education that I received here in this forum about differebtuals, gear swapping is an art! That was proved to be true in my case.

After the dealer swapped my ring and pinion, my differential made all kinds of new noises at various speeds. It's a real mess currently.

Hopefully the new differential will cure all the issues.

Then there is much more to go on my white lemon before it will resemble a quality vehicle.

ddharris

Reaction score
From the education that I received here in this forum about differebtuals, gear swapping is an art! That was proved to be true in my case.

After the dealer swapped my ring and pinion, my differential made all kinds of new noises at various speeds. It's a real mess currently.

Hopefully the new differential will cure all the issues.

Then there is much more to go on my white lemon before it will resemble a quality vehicle.
Good news is they can keep it until its right. Luckily I have a company vehicle to use.
It's a shame they would even given it back to you worse than it was originally.
The good news on my end is at least they acknowledged an issue and ordered parts. The original dealership said it was normal.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Good news is they can keep it until its right. Luckily I have a company vehicle to use.
It's a shame they would even given it back to you worse than it was originally.
The good news on my end is at least they acknowledged an issue and ordered parts. The original dealership said it was normal.
When the dealer gave it back to me, they knew it still had the original noise at 44 mph. I'm not sure they drove it long enough to hear all the other noises.

They wouldn't replace the entire differential at my request. They were afraid Chrysler would not pay for it. They waited another month for the return of the area manager to drive it and approve the entire differential replacement.

I've got issues with either the front differential and or transfer case as well making groaning noises. It sounds dry to me. I'm currently fighting with them about that as well.

I've never bought a vehicle before with as many factory defects as this truck. FCA customer service isn't the greatest either. Completely miserable 1 year ownership experience.

I wish you all the best with yours!

Users who are viewing this thread