5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.92 Mileage Disappointment

2020_Longhorn

Reaction score
Yes, the ECO light will indicate when MDS (cylinder deactivation) is on. If you’re not seeing the ECO light there’s a setting for enabling the light in the infotainment settings.
Tyvm, I will keep an eye out for that on the highway. I have noticed it around town coasting down hills and coming up to stop lights and such but not going 60+ yet.

Brian

R

Rob5589

Tyvm, I will keep an eye out for that on the highway. I have noticed it around town coasting down hills and coming up to stop lights and such but not going 60+ yet.

Brian
You have to be running a light pedal for it to activate at higher speeds. The slightest throttle input will shut it down. Oddly though, I was recently driving a rental 19 Classic with the same power train and the MDS came on constantly.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My MDS is basically on anytime I’m not accelerating. It’s very flat land here in Florida. On the highway I use cruise control and as the truck crests an overpass or hill, the ECO light will come on and stay on until the next overpass. That’s up to about 73mph.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had a 2019 Laramie 4x4 5.7 3.21 i was avg city 15.8-17.5
Hwy was 17.5-21 mpg
if i stay long haul hwy i would avg about 21 Speed about 73mph

Now i have a 2019 Limited 4x4 3.92 now i, getting 13.5-14 city and 16.5-18 hwy im so disappointed. if it was easy to do i would swap my gears in a heartbeat.
My 19' Ltd 3.21 gets almost the same as your Laramie did. Sounds right on.

Barneycle

Reaction score
My 5.7 Bighorn gets just under 15mpg city, and right at 20 if I'm on the highway. Occasionally I wonder if I'd have been happier with the V6, but then I'll make the Hemi hum, and that feeling goes away.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
My 5.7 Bighorn gets just under 15mpg city, and right at 20 if I'm on the highway. Occasionally I wonder if I'd have been happier with the V6, but then I'll make the Hemi hum, and that feeling goes away.
There are a few Pentstar adherents on here, I did test drive it but for a 4x4 Limited it was a no go (we have some hills around here) for me power-wise. I knew I was buying a non-areo truck and didn't expect great mpg's. Also I questioned resale value, and at the time did not like the E-Torque option (unproven). I've since changed my mind on the ET but still think a Pentstar anywhere other than on a really flat road and not towing isn't such a great idea for such a big/heavy rig.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had to take short trip today....two lane highway....small hills.....set cruise at 54 mph.....got 22.9 mpg. Tradesman....crew cab...5.7 hemi...3.92 rear....tow package...new Leer Tonnu cover on bed....4x4. Very happy with mileage.

rlc2020

Reaction score
The problem you have is comparing a 3.21 lighter truck with regular tires on it. Your rebel has more weight, off road at tires, and different gearing. all that said, you aren't doing too bad. I have a laramie with 3.21 and basically no options so my truck is relatively light. I averaged 24mpg (yes, calculated by hand) on a 500 mile stretch once. That was all highway and i was going 70mph and helping the mpg by not accelerating hard. My overall average is about 17mpg over the last 10k miles getting about 21 highway usually.

Your truck will improve a bit after a few thousand miles. The $150 difference at the end of the year between 16mpg and 17.5 mpg average overall won't really make a difference I'm sure.

Extole

Reaction score
does rebel have an ecol light too? honest question, never seen it on. I just put on 1k miles on my rebel and I am averaging 11mpgs, about 60city/40highway. It's a hungry boy..

Jallenb11

Reaction score
New truck, under 500 miles. While driving on a straight stretch of flat road with cruise set on 58, with mds on I was getting 17-18 mpg. I dropped a gear to shut it off and got 20-21 for the rest of the trip.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
The problem you have is comparing a 3.21 lighter truck with regular tires on it. Your rebel has more weight, off road at tires, and different gearing. all that said, you aren't doing too bad. I have a laramie with 3.21 and basically no options so my truck is relatively light. I averaged 24mpg (yes, calculated by hand) on a 500 mile stretch once. That was all highway and i was going 70mph and helping the mpg by not accelerating hard. My overall average is about 17mpg over the last 10k miles getting about 21 highway usually.

Your truck will improve a bit after a few thousand miles. The $150 difference at the end of the year between 16mpg and 17.5 mpg average overall won't really make a difference I'm sure.
Being over-concerned over gas mileage differences over the course of a year really is small change on a 40-70K truck. I would like to equal what my 15' F150 got (22-23 highway) but I didn't want another F150, so I don't care much anymore. Now if it got 10 mpg like my 1978 Ford F250 390 ci got, then I'd not be too pleased. However, I get double that with way more power, 4 more speeds in the tranny and don't rev at 4+K on the highway. I'm as cheap as anybody however...
If it is 3-400 dollars a year different, that's what, 30-35$ a month. If we can't afford that then we should sell our trucks and go back to something else. Just sayin'.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Being over-concerned over gas mileage differences over the course of a year really is small change on a 40-70K truck. I would like to equal what my 15' F150 got (22-23 highway) but I didn't want another F150, so I don't care much anymore. Now if it got 10 mpg like my 1978 Ford F250 390 ci got, then I'd not be too pleased. However, I get double that with way more power, 4 more speeds in the tranny and don't rev at 4+K on the highway. I'm as cheap as anybody however...
If it is 3-400 dollars a year different, that's what, 30-35$ a month. If we can't afford that then we should sell our trucks and go back to something else. Just sayin'.

Yup, about a dollar a day. Or, they can read the other thousand posts on here about MPG... :cool:

Jallenb11

Reaction score
Just the opposite of my prev post at 75. 16-17 with mds on, 15-16 with it off in 8th gear. Mo

SacRebel

Reaction score
I'm at 8,600 miles and my lifetime is 12 mpg (Rebel 3.92). Incidentally, it was at 12.2 after the first 1,000 miles. So the whole notation about the engine needing to break-in is BS!

Maconi

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 v8 eTorque 3.92

I get around 10 MPG on average but I'm only up to 500 miles so far. I'm hoping it starts going up soon (I wasn't expecting much but damn lol).

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 v8 eTorque 3.92

I get around 10 MPG on average but I'm only up to 500 miles so far. I'm hoping it starts going up soon (I wasn't expecting much but damn lol).
On my 1st non-serious about buying test drive with a 3.92 Ltd I was at a 90 degree rt hand turn, slightly uphill with some small gravel on the road. The other side light turned green so I stepped on it a bit more than "grandpa mode". After the 1 wheel peel my wife said "you liked that didn't you". :unsure: If I had 3.92 with no anti-spin I'd probably not have much tread left on the rt side tire and would be getting 10-12 as well... :whistle:

Users who are viewing this thread