5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 vs 3.92

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
to me the simple answer is..if you are going heavy on the towing,( over #7000) 3.92 is kinda a must-have..if you are towing what most people tow in a 1/2 ton, #2500-#6000...then either gear is fine. If it's off the line you are worried about, get a pedal commander, through it on Sport plus + 4, and hold on...

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had several Rams one with a 3.21 and two had the mid gear no longer available (Six Cly Only Now). The last three have been 3.92 gears. The difference is not night to day but almost. I pull 8800 Lbs travel trailer with ease. Rated to pull up to 11285.I have the elocker which makes it really nice to pull camper in grass or gravel with no slip or the boat out of ramp with moss on ramp. As far as low end grunt with no load that is fun too...no pedal commander needed! Quite a bit of savings over a HD with same trim levels for myself and what I needed. If were not pulling any loads of any sort I would just go with a 3.21.

kraftwerx

Reaction score
While I would love to go with an HD, the extra headache of using it as a daily driver in tight parking lots and airport valet just doesn't make sense. But I definitely want the 3.92 because, as it's been mentioned before, my truck needs to tow more than an SUV.

I spoke with my local differential shop and they have all but killed the idea of buying the truck without the must-have RAR. First, they can't order the parts so I'd need to get them from the dealer ($$$$ - don't forget it's 4wd). Second, even if I got them to throw in the parts on the purchase, it's 1k estimated labor. I guess the front diff is actually welded to the frame. He even thought they might have to sell me the whole FE assembly. I am waiting on the sales rep to check with their parts dept, but it will probably be cheaper to factory order.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For most of us who will be towing less than #8000 the 3.21 is a better choice. Better mpg, lower rpm's. If towing more than #8000 then 3.92 is better.

kraftwerx

Reaction score
An interesting update: I told the dealer that it would be cost prohibitive to buy the parts (~3k), and have them installed (~1k). Thinking this would kill the deal, I was very surprised when the sales rep suggested we split the cost of the parts and their service department would throw in the labor. Waiting to see if her manager approves this.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I would love to go with an HD, the extra headache of using it as a daily driver in tight parking lots and airport valet just doesn't make sense. But I definitely want the 3.92 because, as it's been mentioned before, my truck needs to tow more than an SUV.

I spoke with my local differential shop and they have all but killed the idea of buying the truck without the must-have RAR. First, they can't order the parts so I'd need to get them from the dealer ($$$$ - don't forget it's 4wd). Second, even if I got them to throw in the parts on the purchase, it's 1k estimated labor. I guess the front diff is actually welded to the frame. He even thought they might have to sell me the whole FE assembly. I am waiting on the sales rep to check with their parts dept, but it will probably be cheaper to factory order.
Post in the BST forum and see if someone will swap powertrains with you.

If you have a really good local transmission shop, it may be worth just changing out 8th gear with a custom. It's doable. cost prohibitvie but doable.

Users who are viewing this thread