5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3.21 vs 3.92: The Last Word

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mathematical equations and gear ratios are hard to argue with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
And it’s been laid out and explained in grave detail about how mathematically the 3.21 and 3.92 is the same except for 1st and 8th gear on the this vs that threads.

Except the 3.21 gets better overall mpg. And the 3.92 can tow a trailer that has a full ****ter.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I'm absolutely blown away that anyone thinks "they're exactly the same except 1st and 8th" is a factual statement.

If you're an engineer and have the excuse that you only understand theory and equations and don't even remember what the real world looks like, OK, fair enough. :LOL:
Trust me. It's the engineer thing. On paper anything works. I mean I can write macros in the background of an excel spreadsheet to lie about any information you put in it.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And it’s been laid out and explained in grave detail about how mathematically the 3.21 and 3.92 is the same except for 1st and 8th gear on the this vs that threads.

Except the 3.21 gets better overall mpg. And the 3.92 can tow a trailer that has a full ****ter.

In this thread? Where?

There are like five going, so maybe I missed it.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Trust me. It's the engineer thing. On paper anything works. I mean I can write macros in the background of an excel spreadsheet to lie about any information you put in it.
Always thought Smykowski got a raw deal in Office Space. If customers had to deal with engineers directly, nothing would get done.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think this is pretty close. I remember old 4-speed manual pickups where you never used the 1st gear. It was the granny gear and only used if really loaded up. All the other time you just took off in second...the 3.92s have a granny gear basically.
I’ve got an 06 Dodge 2500 5.9L with the G56 Mercedes Benz 6 speed manual tranny and first gear is a granny that is only used going down or up some of my very very steep farm roads, but is awesome for that. Love those manual 6 speeds in those older trucks, looking for another one, but most are roached out. Granny good.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Man! So much thinking on display from back when there were only 3 or 4 gears in truck automatic trannies.

False. The 3.21 would be in the next lower gear and have the same engine braking.

It will tow better until it shifts into 2nd gear. Then they'll be the same. If that's what you meant, then okay.

How do you figure? When the 3.92 is in 8th gear, the 3.21 will be in 7th and pulling just as well.

I can't understand why some of y'all can't seem to understand that an identical truck except for the different rear end will not be in the same gear as the other truck. You keep saying things that would only be true if the 3.21 truck and the 3.92 truck would be in the same gear when they are going down the road at the same speed. That is only true when they are taking off from a stop and when they are both going fast enough to both be in 8th gear.

And those are the only times where the rear end makes any practical difference - when you're going from a stop, or when you're at elevated highway speeds. Then, you either get more takeoff power from a stop, or you get better fuel economy at 80MPH. Everything in between is basically the same (except for which gear number is displayed on your dash).
There you go, bringing logic into this off topic, barroom grudge match ;)

I should probably move this thread, as it exists for entertainment value alone. We wouldn’t want members to be confused…

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There you go, bringing logic into this off topic, barroom grudge match ;)

I should probably move this thread, as it exists for entertainment value alone. We wouldn’t want members to be confused…
You should make a sticky for 3.21 vs 3.92. That would take care of these pop up threads comparing the two and everyone would definitely keep the discussion in that tread. :LOL:

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Man! So much thinking on display from back when there were only 3 or 4 gears in truck automatic trannies.

False. The 3.21 would be in the next lower gear and have the same engine braking.

It will tow better until it shifts into 2nd gear. Then they'll be the same. If that's what you meant, then okay.

How do you figure? When the 3.92 is in 8th gear, the 3.21 will be in 7th and pulling just as well.

I can't understand why some of y'all can't seem to understand that an identical truck except for the different rear end will not be in the same gear as the other truck. You keep saying things that would only be true if the 3.21 truck and the 3.92 truck would be in the same gear when they are going down the road at the same speed. That is only true when they are taking off from a stop and when they are both going fast enough to both be in 8th gear.

And those are the only times where the rear end makes any practical difference - when you're going from a stop, or when you're at elevated highway speeds. Then, you either get more takeoff power from a stop, or you get better fuel economy at 80MPH. Everything in between is basically the same (except for which gear number is displayed on your dash).
I've learned we're probably not going to change any minds in this thread.
Before I respond to all this nonsense...what kind of engineer are ya?
Is that a qualification, yet?
That meaningless word salad is a riot. I have a group of engineers at work with a few EITs with them. I get to be the director though.

Yea, my uneducated simple self spends my day correcting thier screw up, trying to not have them overcomplicate things, do the work accurately and produce reports that customers can understand and use. I make templates for them to follow but no, let's reinvent it every time so we constantly get different results. Clients love that.

Yea, engineers are impressive. They impress the heck out of themselves daily. A shameful waste of thier daddy's money on the framed paper he bought them. I am glad to see you fit in. 👍
Salads are healthy for ya.
I'm absolutely blown away that anyone thinks "they're exactly the same except 1st and 8th" is a factual statement.

If you're an engineer and have the excuse that you only understand theory and equations and don't even remember what the real world looks like, OK, fair enough. :LOL:
Final ratio is the factor. Changing your wheels and tires changes the final ratio, as well.

We can beat around the bush, but at the end of the day, the 3.21 isn't a huge deal unless you need to hang out in 1st gear a lot.
------------------ 18.46 - 1st-3.92
3.21-1st - 15.12 : 12.31 - 2nd-3.92
3.21-2nd -10.10 : 8.23 - 3rd-3.92
3.21-3rd - 6.74 : 6.55 - 4th-3.92
3.21-4th - 5.36 : 5.06 - 5th-3.92
3.21-5th - 4.14 : 3.92 - 6th-3.92
3.21-6th - 3.21 : 3.29 - 7th-3.92
3.21-7th - 2.70 : 2.62 - 8th-3.92
3.21-8th - 2.15

And like I said, the DOT requirements have to account for ALL situations, which is what knocks the 3.21 to a lower towing capacity. The 3.92 is clearly more capable in certain situations, but in most situations won't make much if a difference. As a Florida boy, there's not much opportunity for me to take advantage of the 3.92, I'd rather get the fuel economy.

Also, if you have 35" tires on a 3.92, you're running the equivalent of about 3.58. If you're going to be rigid about towing capacities, please de-rate your towing capacity by 1000lbs or so.

See above. I agree. Unless you plan to be in 1st gear a LOT, the 3.92 doesn't do much.
Even the strongest of us can break after a career spent dealing with engineers. :LOL:
Engineers are rigid. "People Skills" basically means "I'm good at feeding ******** to others."

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Final ratio is the factor. Changing your wheels and tires changes the final ratio, as well.

We can beat around the bush, but at the end of the day, the 3.21 isn't a huge deal unless you need to hang out in 1st gear a lot.
------------------ 18.46 - 1st-3.92
3.21-1st - 15.12 : 12.31 - 2nd-3.92
3.21-2nd -10.10 : 8.23 - 3rd-3.92
3.21-3rd - 6.74 : 6.55 - 4th-3.92
3.21-4th - 5.36 : 5.06 - 5th-3.92
3.21-5th - 4.14 : 3.92 - 6th-3.92
3.21-6th - 3.21 : 3.29 - 7th-3.92
3.21-7th - 2.70 : 2.62 - 8th-3.92
3.21-8th - 2.15
Mother of....here...

This is why statements like "they're literally exactly the same" but they'll be in different gears are nonsense. Even if you just stick to theory and pretend that the transmission and rear end work in a vacuum, they're not exactly the same. I'll buy the argument that the differences are relatively small, but there are still differences regardless.
The 3.92 is clearly more capable in certain situations
Well....yeah. :LOL:
Also, if you have 35" tires on a 3.92, you're running the equivalent of about 3.58. If you're going to be rigid about towing capacities, please de-rate your towing capacity by 1000lbs or so.
What do 35" tires do to the 3.21s? 🍿
Engineers are rigid. "People Skills" basically means "I'm good at feeding ******** to others."
Right, that's what I said. Theory and equations. They aren't good at dealing with what happens once their designs hit the real world. That's why people who are take over.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
You should make a sticky for 3.21 vs 3.92. That would take care of these pop up threads comparing the two and everyone would definitely keep the discussion in that tread. :LOL:
isn't that what this thread is

if i was a moderator I would combine them both

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
isn't that what this thread is

if i was a moderator I would combine them both
That's the joke, although not a very good one.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
fc34f7e7-18d1-4737-b1dc-3ea3bc52cc9d_text.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/