5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 1/2 in. Lift on ram 1500 with 35/12.5/20

Milks19Ram

Reaction score
My set up:
1) Rough country 3.5” lift kit, upgraded to the N3 front struts, and upgraded rear shocks to monotube V2’s.
price: $1,099
2) Icon 1.5” lift rear dual rate springs
Price: $279.99
Did you use the spring spacers with the Icon’s

emccarty

Reaction score
My set up:
1) Rough country 3.5” lift kit, upgraded to the N3 front struts, and upgraded rear shocks to monotube V2’s.
price: $1,099
2) Icon 1.5” lift rear dual rate springs
Price: $279.99
Sorry if you've already covered this, but did you use the 1.5" springs in place of the blocks that came with the Rough Country kit? I want to go this route, but wasn't sure of the amount of lift the blocks in this kit gave in the rear. My thought was if I could find springs that would lift the rear the same amount as the blocks and eliminate the blocks, it would make for a better setup.

Kwilliams444

Reaction score
Sorry if you've already covered this, but did you use the 1.5" springs in place of the blocks that came with the Rough Country kit? I want to go this route, but wasn't sure of the amount of lift the blocks in this kit gave in the rear. My thought was if I could find springs that would lift the rear the same amount as the blocks and eliminate the blocks, it would make for a better setup.
Great question!
You are correct, I am only using the Icon springs in the rear, trashed the rear blocks from the kit. I’m not sure what their height was but I can say the rear sits about 1/2” lower than the front with this set up. I didn’t want to have to use any spacers, that was my main reason. Hoping a 2” lift rear spring comes out that I could maybe switch to.

Kwilliams444

Reaction score
Hey there. Beautiful truck. Considering this setup. How much did your shop charge you for install?

Did you consider readylift and if so, did you go this route for the struts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you very much, I appreciate that!
Parts and install for the lift was $1800. Yes, I am a fan of Readylift but I did not want to have to use spacers and the RC struts offered a perfect alternative. They have been great so far. No issues. 11,000 miles on the truck now.

Kwilliams444

Reaction score
Your setup and truck looks like perfection! really like how it sits seems perfect! I have never had rough country setup because i was always scared off by the horror stories. That being said i have had BDS, Carli, Old Man Emu, and a couple morei cant remember and honestly wasnt all that impressed. I think because of my experience with the so called "better kits" and not being impressed with them i am going to give RC a shot. Plus i have heard they are stepping up their game from past years.
Hey Chuck, I really appreciate that. Thank you. I have been extremely happy with this setup. It looks phenomenal and I’ve had zero quality issues with anything so far. You’ve had some great setups in the past it looks like. I used to be in the Land Cruiser/GX off-road scene and OME suspension is amazing at what they do. I’ll say this, if I was going to build an overland rig or do any kind of high speed off-road trips, I would not recommend this setup. It is far too stiff and doesn’t have the damping or rebound capabilities it would need to cope. You would get shaken and rattled to pieces. But since I am not doing that with this truck, it is perfect. It’s a true suspension lift, no cutting, no blocks or body lift, new UCA’s for peace of mind and looks great and is priced right. I was timid when buying it because it was my first time going with RC as well. But I can say that I am happy I did. The shop that did the install, and they do a lot of high end serious truck builds, commented on the quality of the components and that RC has definitely stepped their game up in recent years. I hope this helps.

emccarty

Reaction score
Great question!
You are correct, I am only using the Icon springs in the rear, trashed the rear blocks from the kit. I’m not sure what their height was but I can say the rear sits about 1/2” lower than the front with this set up. I didn’t want to have to use any spacers, that was my main reason. Hoping a 2” lift rear spring comes out that I could maybe switch to.
Awesome, thanks for the reply! I ordered the same lift kit with all the upgrades as well as the icon springs. So, I will have the exact same set up as you. What tires did you go with? I'm sticking with my 20x9 factory wheels for now and trying to figure out what tires I should get that won't rub. Also, do you have any pictures? Again, sorry if you already covered this, but I looked all over your thread and couldn't find it. I'm new to this forum stuff so could be operator error! Thanks.

Chuck19

Reaction score
Great question!
So the website says the rear spacers are 1". You used 1.5" rear coil springs so you have an extra 1/2" over the provided spacers. So if your front end is higher by 1/2" compared to the rear then the spacers in the kit would make it nose high by about 1"? God I hope not because I hate the Cali lean look, I am going after level or the back end being a little higher than the front.

Kwilliams444

Reaction score
So the website says the rear spacers are 1". You used 1.5" rear coil springs so you have an extra 1/2" over the provided spacers. So if your front end is higher by 1/2" compared to the rear then the spacers in the kit would make it nose high by about 1"? God I hope not because I hate the Cali lean look, I am going after level or the back end being a little higher than the front.
Hey Chuck,
I don’t see on the RC website where it says the rear spacers are 1”. I’d give them a call to really be sure, they’re readily available and answer their own phone calls and have good customer service. Based on the description and pictures on their site, the kit, unaltered, should level the truck out. This, combined with my measurements, leads me to believe the rear spacers in the kit are around 2”, give or take a quarter inch.

Kwilliams444

Reaction score
Here’s a picture I just took now. It very rarely looks to be nose high if ever at all. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• D116D9F7-9E1E-4924-80A6-CD02A7CBD61C.jpeg
    D116D9F7-9E1E-4924-80A6-CD02A7CBD61C.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 428

Chuck19

Reaction score
Here’s a picture I just took now. It very rarely looks to be nose high if ever at all. Hope this helps.
That does look really good! If the front is higher than the back you cant tell from that picture.

I know its really weird that the site does not mention anything about the rear spacers lift height. However if you scroll down to the questions area someone asks "How high are the rear lift spacers that come with the 3.5" kit? RC responds with 1". That's why I believe they are 1" but the description on the site never mentions it.

doolin64

Reaction score
@Chuck19 I'm under a similar impression about the RC kit. The facebook groups have mentioned when ordering you can tell RC to swap out the kits spacer for a 2" spacer. No idea if this true or not. Just regurgitating what I read.

Chuck19

Reaction score
@Chuck19 I'm under a similar impression about the RC kit. The facebook groups have mentioned when ordering you can tell RC to swap out the kits spacer for a 2" spacer. No idea if this true or not. Just regurgitating what I read.
I would agree something has to be done to the original kit because 1" rear lift spacer just isn't going to be enough. I haven't looked yet but I am going to see if there are 2" rear springs out there by any manufacturer. Or just go with the Icon springs Kwilliams444 has.

doolin64

Reaction score
Here's the Readylift spacer on the left and a Supreme Suspension 2" rear on the right. They're pretty similar. I'm pretty sure this looks bigger than the RC one. I don't mind top mount spacers, I'm not a fan of the bottom mount ones thought.

20210226_120124.jpg 20210226_115935.jpg

20210226_115951.jpg

Chuck19

Reaction score
Here's the Readylift spacer on the left and a Supreme Suspension 2" rear on the right. They're pretty similar. I'm pretty sure this looks bigger than the RC one. I don't mind top mount spacers, I'm not a fan of the bottom mount ones thought.

View attachment 85213 View attachment 85214

View attachment 85215
The supreme suspension looks like a better build quality. I will look into them for the rear lift if I cant find a 2" spring. Thanks for sharing? So which ones are you planning on using?

doolin64

Reaction score
The supreme suspension looks like a better build quality. I will look into them for the rear lift if I cant find a 2" spring. Thanks for sharing? So which ones are you planning on using?

My plan is to go with the Supreme Suspension (SS) spacers. RC, 3.5" struts, RC rear shocks and control arms. I agree, the SS spacer looks better. The center piece of the spacer is a smaller guage than the ReadyLift, but otherwise I like how the SS one is welded right around with no seems for water and crud to get in (I live in the northeast).

Here's what's odd, on the SS website, I could not see this spacer, but it was on Amazon and sold by SS. I called SS and they found my Amazon order. He did confirm it would fit my truck. I asked why they only have bottom spacers on their site instead of also offering this one. They guy gave some odd answer saying "we like to offer different products in different places" :sneaky:

Chuck19

Reaction score
My plan is to go with the Supreme Suspension (SS) spacers. RC, 3.5" struts, RC rear shocks and control arms. I agree, the SS spacer looks better. The center piece of the spacer is a smaller guage than the ReadyLift, but otherwise I like how the SS one is welded right around with no seems for water and crud to get in (I live in the northeast).

Here's what's odd, on the SS website, I could not see this spacer, but it was on Amazon and sold by SS. I called SS and they found my Amazon order. He did confirm it would fit my truck. I asked why they only have bottom spacers on their site instead of also offering this one. They guy gave some odd answer saying "we like to offer different products in different places" :sneaky:
I found the spacers on amazon and will probably order them. Thanks for the information. What is your time line for getting your lift installed?

doolin64

Reaction score
I found the spacers on amazon and will probably order them. Thanks for the information. What is your time line for getting your lift installed?
On hold. I bought the Readylift kit and decided against running that. In the mean time I found the spacers on Amazon and bought them with credit card points. I figured worse case I'd return them if they weren't right. Right now I need to sell the Readylift kit and make sure I'm ok tax wise. I'm afraid I'll have to pay Uncle Sam this year. On top of that the RC struts are on backorder until mid April.

Chuck19

Reaction score
On hold. I bought the Readylift kit and decided against running that. In the mean time I found the spacers on Amazon and bought them with credit card points. I figured worse case I'd return them if they weren't right. Right now I need to sell the Readylift kit and make sure I'm ok tax wise. I'm afraid I'll have to pay Uncle Sam this year. On top of that the RC struts are on backorder until mid April.
Yeah I saw that the RC kit is on back order. My truck is on order as well and as bad as the delays are I am not sure when I will get it but I went ahead and placed the RC order just to be in the que when they come back in stock. I think when this 2nd round of Covid money comes people are going to burn it up on stuff like this making it even more difficult to get.

Stillhetfield

Reaction score
Great question!
Nice truck! so if you have the off-road group you essentially would have 2" in the rear am I correct with this kit?

Users who are viewing this thread