5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

285/75/18 Falken AT3W vs Duratrac?

troymi

Reaction score
Looking for some real world thoughts.

Picked up a new Laramie sport. Going to either lift or front level. Looking at either falcon or the Goodyear tires. Anyone have any preference or experience with lots of winter driving?

Im leaning Falken. Also, the 285 7518 is pushing the edge but I got a B6 Bilstein front lift and considering a Mopar 2 inch lift as option. Just want to make sure it’s as level as possible. Not my first rodeo, actually my fourth DT ram

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
I’ve had both. I always ran faulkens on my tacomas when they were affordable. Faulken has raised its prices (like everyone). I am running the stock duratracs on my rebel and like them. I just ordered another set of duratracs in 285/75/18. They were cheaper than wildpeaks.

You can’t really compare them, they really are two different tires. Wildpeaks are an aggressive A/T where duratracs are a hybrid M/T.

Kritt1764

Reaction score
Question for you all, changing from the 275/70-18 Duratrac's to a 285/75-18 tire, did you find any issues with the transmission shifting properly? I have been considering moving up to the 285 tire and curious if others have had a computer flash to change the tire size.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
285/75-18 is a 35x11.50 equivalent. That's got to be really tight fit with only a leveling kit.

Anyway, I've used both tires. Falken A/T3W is the best all around tire on the market hands down. But, for deep snow and/or off road use I like the Duratrac better. I do not like the Duratrac in rain however....they don't tend to hold the road well.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Duratracs suck on wet roads. Living in Florida, with daily afternoon rains, the Duratracs spin at every take off and want to slide in corners. I'll be looking at BFG for my next set of tires.

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
The Duratracs suck on wet roads. Living in Florida, with daily afternoon rains, the Duratracs spin at every take off and want to slide in corners. I'll be looking at BFG for my next set of tires.

If you hate Duratracs on wet surfaces your going to be in the same pickle with BFG. Worse tires I’ve ever owned. I’ve been through 3 sets of KO2. Outside of balancing issues they suck on wet surfaces and never last past 30k

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
Question for you all, changing from the 275/70-18 Duratrac's to a 285/75-18 tire, did you find any issues with the transmission shifting properly? I have been considering moving up to the 285 tire and curious if others have had a computer flash to change the tire size.

No issues. I am still able to get around 22 mpg on my ecoD rebel with 285s

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to know about the BFG. I had them on my older Silverado and liked the look and they appeared ok in the rain, but they didn't last long. After they started to wear, they got slippery on the wet roads also. I like the looks of the Duratrac, but I'm not a fan of Good Year.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never head Falkens but I do know they are HEAVY!

I had been running DuraTracs for last couple years (the 3pmsf versions, not the Rebel standard issue ones). I just dumped them with 70% tread left because they we were getting awful on the road.

Fine at first, surprisingly so, but after 12k miles the noise and vibration was just unbearable, even with proper rotations.

They were, however, absolutely unstoppable in the snow and off road. I once pulled a stuck Amazon truck up a hill in a foot of snow as if it was dry land. Amazing!

So I say they are great for a jeep but not so great for a daily.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone I know that's had Duracraps on any truck 1/2T-1T has complained about the noise after they wear some.

While I'm running a SRW 3500, the Falken's have been great on and off road. With the heavy front end, I have to air them WAY down on hardpack 2-track.

troymi

Reaction score
Appreciate everyone's ideas. Ended up going Falken AT3W in 295/70/18. Got some TRX takeoff wheels and now just have to decide how much to playing with the suspension. 6112 fronts? Mopar lift? Likely going just the 6112s in front and see if I want to add rear ORG springs.

Reactions: @JC

Users who are viewing this thread