5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 Gallon to 33 Gallon Fuel/Gas tank

Will9621

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a dealership in the Metro Detroit area or mid Michigan area who will install a 33 gallon gas tank into a 2020 Ram that has a 26 gallon tank? I have contacted 5 different dealerships and only one of them quoted me on switching the gas tanks and the quote was $2,500.

2wd

Reaction score
It is very expensive even if you do it yourself. There is a thread here somewhere if you search and the parts alone were around $1200-1500 IIRC.

I invested in three 5 gallon Wavian Jerry cans that are popular with Australian overlanders, which gives me 41 gallons total when I need it (plus they are very useful for filling up my other equipment). Only negative is they take a little bed space away.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It depends on what you have already. The fuel pumps are the same, so if you have a third bracket in front of your 26 gallon tank (required for the 33 gallon), all you have to do is find the big tank and swap the pumps. Then you need AlfaOBD to unlock it in the truck's system. If you don't have the bracket it's a lot more work. Think someone on here managed to do it for under $500 cause he found one off a wrecked truck.

Upgrading from the 23 gallon is much more work as you need a new fuel pump.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
That quote you have for $2,500 sounds reasonable (especially if it includes the tank) and I would just go with that and be done with it if you need the bigger tank. It would save you a lot of headaches doing it yourself and breathing gas fumes etc. in the process.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I looked into this for mine, but I have the 23 gallon tank. I was told it would be cheaper for me to trade this truck in and buy one with the 33 gallon tank. Even with depreciation. I'm not sure that's actually true, but I'll just suffer with the small tank.

Will9621

Reaction score
It depends on what you have already. The fuel pumps are the same, so if you have a third bracket in front of your 26 gallon tank (required for the 33 gallon), all you have to do is find the big tank and swap the pumps. Then you need AlfaOBD to unlock it in the truck's system. If you don't have the bracket it's a lot more work. Think someone on here managed to do it for under $500 cause he found one off a wrecked truck.

Upgrading from the 23 gallon is much more work as you need a new fuel pump.
Thank you for the info

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Found it. Member was @Dixit

This post is where it gets interesting, but you can backtrack a page or two to get started

Dixit

Reaction score
Yes there is a few threads on this. The one listed is massive and goes into a lot of details. I personally did this myself yes. And it’s been working like a champ. Everything works like factory as I reprogrammed there tank capacity using AlfaOBD.

Cost wise it set me back only just a shade under $500 since as I’ve been saying all along the best way for this is to get the tank from a wrecked Ram like I did. Then there was some misc parts like straps and evap hoses and what not.

Dixit

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes there is a few threads on this. The one listed is massive and goes into a lot of details. I personally did this myself yes. And it’s been working like a champ. Everything works like factory as I reprogrammed there tank capacity using AlfaOBD.

Cost wise it set me back only just a shade under $500 since as I’ve been saying all along the best way for this is to get the tank from a wrecked Ram like I did. Then there was some misc parts like straps and evap hoses and what not.

Dixit
Yeah, I've pretty much wrote out everything you did in a document, and I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a wrecked one that I can grab a tank from. I think this will be my next upgrade. I can just barely make it from Memphis to Knoxville with about 2 gallons left, but it'd be nice to have more wiggle room.

2wd

Reaction score

Dixit

I stand corrected then. $500 is a great price - I think that's what the charge from the factory as an option.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also have to remember an extra 20+ gallons of gas would remove 120+ pounds from your payload rating. Even if it was for our gen/1500 trucks. I'd rather make more gas stops to keep my payload.

Dixit

Reaction score
I stand corrected then. $500 is a great price - I think that's what the charge from the factory as an option.

Yeap going from 23 to 33 will cost a lot more mainly cause you need a new fuel pump and evap canister. Rammit (another member on that large thread did it) and he incurred more costs due to that. But if you got a tank from junkyard technically it comes with the evap canister and fuel pump unless they took it out.

Dixit

YellowSled

Reaction score
If given the opportunity I would have gotten the 33 in a heartbeat. I cant imagine ordering this truck and not getting that cheap affordable option.

Dixit

Reaction score

I looked into these briefly when I thought I hit a wall on my 33gal conversion early on. But my main issue with these was cost was much more (granted I get a crap load more capacity as it’s in addition to my stock tank) but I also lose that space in my short bed. I use my bed a decent amount like throwing plywood, 32ft ladder with the bed extender, bikes, etc. so this method of the 33gal conversion worked out. Plus it was a challenge and I accepted it and won. Did I get an amazing amount of more range? Hahah no. But I can say I did it. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread