5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 Gallon gas tank

ICT_RAM

Reaction score
Is there a way to verify the size of the gas tank installed. My truck sticker says it was equipped with the 26 gallon tank option and I have taken it down to about 17 miles before empty and can never get more than 23 gallons back in the truck. Being 3 gallons off seems to be a bit much, but since this is my first RAM, was wondering if it was normal. Has anyone gotten near 26 gallons in their truck with the 26 gallon option??

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is there a way to verify the size of the gas tank installed. My truck sticker says it was equipped with the 26 gallon tank option and I have taken it down to about 17 miles before empty and can never get more than 23 gallons back in the truck. Being 3 gallons off seems to be a bit much, but since this is my first RAM, was wondering if it was normal. Has anyone gotten near 26 gallons in their truck with the 26 gallon option??

Sounds about right, the miles down is conservative because they know people will wait until the last minute. Mine is 26 gallons, and filling up from 20 miles left I only got about 23 gallons in.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score

17 miles to empty means you could probably burn another gallon before you got to 0 miles to empty.

I don't know about my new truck, but in my 4th Gen, 0 miles to empty generally meant roughly 2 gallons of "reserve" left.

Simple enough to get a gas can with a couple of gallons in it then drive until the truck runs out... You don't want to run it dry very often, but once isn't going to hurt it.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And a 23 gallon tank with the same DTE would only take 20 gallons.

I would just believe what your window sticker says rather than run the truck out of gas.

As stated 17 miles to empty would be a gallon. So if you put 23 in that is at least 24.

More than 23 and no where near 33.

Mystery solved.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, really, I probably wouldn't run it out of gas, either, on purpose.

But, what I might do is put a gas can with a couple of gallons in it in the bed and drive until it said 0 miles to empty. Then, I'd figure I have 2 gallons left, so I might drive another gallon's worth (i.e. 13 - 20 miles or so, depending on your driving, your truck, etc.). Then fill it up. It should take about 1 gallon shy of the sticker spec - so, roughly 25 gallons.

You've got that gas can in the back, just in case you miscalculate and do run out by accident.

Then you'll know, without running it out of gas, and you'll have some confidence to drive it past DTE = 0, if you ever need to.

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
23.484 is the most I have ever put in mine...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove my truck about 40 miles past the Low Fuel warning and got 31.6 gallons into my 33 gallon tank. I have a pretty good idea of how far I can push it. Sorry about hijacking the "26" gallon thread :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread