5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 gal tank??

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have a 2019 hemi e-torque. Mine has 23 gallon tank. One time light was on and the dash said I still had 23 miles left, it took 22.5 gallons to fill it. I don't try to make this a habbit though....
Hmm. Are you 100% sure?
Everything I’ve seen everywhere notes that Hemi engines are supposed to come with 26 gallon tanks standard (or optional 33 gal).

Ram4141

Reaction score
Hmm. Are you 100% sure?
Everything I’ve seen everywhere notes that Hemi engines are supposed to come with 26 gallon tanks standard (or optional 33 gal).
100 percent positive. It is on my build sheet. I wish I was wrong. It is the only thing I really don't like about my truck. My last two Rams had 33 gallon tanks.

2020blckout

Reaction score
This build sheet option is indeed interesting. My 2020 Limited indeed reports 26 gallon fuel tank in the standard equipment group (as I expected) but then in the optional section it reads "5 Additional Gallons of Gas ". I know I don't have the 33 gallon tank, but does anyone else have this on their sheet? What do you think it means?
That means they fill the tank with 5 gals prior delivery
Because for safety regulations purposes they can’t fill all the way , well that’s why I think
Because definitely mine doesn’t have those 5 extra gal

2020blckout

Reaction score
100 percent positive. It is on my build sheet. I wish I was wrong. It is the only thing I really don't like about my truck. My last two Rams had 33 gallon tanks.
So In your build sheet is showing you the 23 gal tank??
because mine shows 26g but fill up with 23
Even with 5 miles left to empty lol

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wondering with how many gals yall fill up your 26 or 23 gal tank
Not sure what tank do I have because can’t find anything on the window sticker
But my tank fills up with 23 gals always so I’m not sure if I have the 23 or 26
(2020 limited 5.7 etorque)
Regardless of the fuel tank capacity, it shouldn't matter because the 2019 Owners Manual states that the Low Fuel Warning indicator should illuminate when the fuel level is 1.5 gallons from empty. Unfortunately, whoever wrote that entry in the manual must've taken information from the engineering specification, not what people will encounter post assembly.

Although I've once squeezed 31.91 gallons into my 33 gallon tank, I had driven well past the point where I got the Low Fuel indication. I don't remember the actual miles, but I'm sure it was better than fifty, and I also filled past the point where the pump nozzle shut off automatically the first time. That being said, there are a number of factors that affect how much fuel can be put into the tank once the Low Fuel indication occurs: nozzle pressure click-off point variations, ground level at the pump, premature triggers from turns or sudden stops, and the then current fuel economy.

Also keep in mind that manufacturers really don't want you to run out of fuel for a number of reasons, especially on the road where people could be placed into danger (lowest common denominator effect). Since all of my vehicles, regardless of manufacturer, indicated near empty when there was still a significant amount of fuel in the tank, I think this is generic industry thinking.

For those really unsure of which tank you have, fill a six gallon gas can and drive until the vehicle shuts off. Put the six gallons in and drive to the nearest gas station. Unless you drive more than a few miles, add what the pump indicated to the six gallons and that should tell you the fuel capacity of the tank.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 029656 miles.

ramhead

Reaction score

Hmm. Are you 100% sure?

I read somewhere that the 23 gal gas tank was standard on V6 and Hemi eTorque 4x4 Crew Cab short beds in any model trim. Maybe he has that kind of truck?

2020blckout

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the 23 gal gas tank was standard on V6 and Hemi eTorque 4x4 Crew Cab short beds in any model trim. Maybe he has that kind of truck?
I don’t think so because my build sheet shows that I have the 26 g tank

ramhead

Reaction score
I don’t think so because my build sheet shows that I have the 26 g tank

I also believe the 26 gal tank was an option so maybe the bigger tank was an option included or added to your truck.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wondering with how many gals yall fill up your 26 or 23 gal tank
Not sure what tank do I have because can’t find anything on the window sticker
But my tank fills up with 23 gals always so I’m not sure if I have the 23 or 26
(2020 limited 5.7 etorque)
If it takes 26 to fill your 26 gal tank, you were walking or close to it. # gal reserve is a good thing. Haven't had a rig yet that showed empty when it really was.

ramhead

Reaction score
If you go to the link below and click on "Capabilities" it shows the 23 gal tank as Standard on some trims(with the 26 gal optional) while the 26 gal shows as Standard on some other trims (and the 33 gal as optional):

Last edited:

renzo2213

Reaction score
If your truck has etorque it’ll come standard with the 23 gallon tank unless they checked the box for the upgraded gas tank. I have a 2019 Laramie 5.7 etorque with a 23 gallon tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
fwiw, my build sheet shows 26 gal tank. I hit the low fuel indicator on Saturday and after driving maybe 7 miles after the indicator came on I fueled up about 22.5 gallons (I didn't check the miles remaining).

Users who are viewing this thread