5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

23 gallon tank a deal breaker?

Kob0583

Reaction score
I have a 23 it’s not bad I get 430 Miles a tank probably more but don’t like running to empty. I commute 70 Miles round trip end up gasing up every other week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonner

Reaction score
Needing to fill up ~50% more often is not worth gaining a measily 60lbs more payload capacity.
Work for me is about 10 miles round trip.....and that’s when I have to go in. Since COVID I work from home the majority of the time. The question for me is it worth the extra $445 for the 4 or 5 times a year that I will be towing to get that extra 10 gallons plus the frustration of having to reorder the truck. With the majority of those times being within a 250 mile radius. My real problem is the fact that I was told I was getting a 26 gallon tank and it showed up with 23.

flyfingers

Reaction score
Work for me is about 10 miles round trip.....and that’s when I have to go in. Since COVID I work from home the majority of the time. The question for me is it worth the extra $445 for the 4 or 5 times a year that I will be towing to get that extra 10 gallons plus the frustration of having to reorder the truck. With the majority of those times being within a 250 mile radius. My real problem is the fact that I was told I was getting a 26 gallon tank and it showed up with 23.
Well, based on how I'm perceiving your usage requirements and frustration level in ordering a new build, I'd say you'll probably just have to chalk the mistake to being "just one of those things in life". If the 23 gal really doesn't bother you then I wouldn't lose sleep over it - life will go on and before you know it the gas tank blunder will be a thing of the past. Either that or it will gnaw at your innermost feelings and haunt you for the rest of your life whereas you will be forever irritated driving you to the point of insanity. Your welcome.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Think of it this way, if your commute is 10 miles round trip when and if you go in, the 33 would actually be detrimental. The fuel would sit in your truck for over a month. Assuming there is ethanol in your fuel it would be starting to degrade at that point, and who really knows how old the fuel was by the time it was delivered to the station. You'll be fine with the 23, get a couple jerry cans for when you tow

Tonner

Reaction score
Well, based on how I'm perceiving your usage requirements and frustration level in ordering a new build, I'd say you'll probably just have to chalk the mistake to being "just one of those things in life". If the 23 gal really doesn't bother you then I wouldn't lose sleep over it - life will go on and before you know it the gas tank blunder will be a thing of the past. Either that or it will gnaw at your innermost feelings and haunt you for the rest of your life whereas you will be forever irritated driving you to the point of insanity. Your welcome.
LMFAO....thanks for the support buddy!

Tonner

Reaction score
Think of it this way, if your commute is 10 miles round trip when and if you go in, the 33 would actually be detrimental. The fuel would sit in your truck for over a month. Assuming there is ethanol in your fuel it would be starting to degrade at that point, and who really knows how old the fuel was by the time it was delivered to the station. You'll be fine with the 23, get a couple jerry cans for when you tow
I think I’ll be fine as well. Just really pisses me off they messed that up. Although looking at the ridiculous way FCA has it set up is mind boggling. My same exact setup without the etorque is a 26 gallon tank. My same exact setup with etorque but a 4x2 is a 26 gallon tank. My same exact setup if I get the level 2 package which I did is a 23 gallon tank with an option of a free upgrade to a 26 gallon but only if I specifically order that way. Seriously, WTF!

2wd

Reaction score
Think of all the guys in Silverados and Sierras - their only tank option is a 24 gallon. Even the trucks that have to put premium fuel in for the 6.2 engine. But those guys are getting by with only 24 gallons.

I have tank envy of the Toyota Tundra with 38 gallons but then again their unloaded MPG is so bad most guys only get a ~600 mile range w/38 gallons. I have a 26 and am considering all the work involved in going to a 33 gallon. Can't speak for everyone but I get great MPG unloaded. Consistent 575 mile range w/26. Hit over 600 a few times.

IMO the 23 gallon is only a problem when towing/hauling heavy. Your effective range will likely be ~230 miles instead of ~330 miles under those conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: cj7

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will be just fine, enjoy that truck!

I average about 12k/yr on my truck, about 2500mi/yr of that towing. I got the 33, and am glad I did, but could survive smaller if I had too. Feel the same about the 3.92. Makes a diff the three or five time a year I tow long haul, but otherwise not worth stressing out.

You can compensate by making sure your next truck has a 50 gallon tank, or even better, no tank at all!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Think of all the guys in Silverados and Sierras - their only tank option is a 24 gallon. Even the trucks that have to put premium fuel in for the 6.2 engine. But those guys are getting by with only 24 gallons.

I have tank envy of the Toyota Tundra with 38 gallons but then again their unloaded MPG is so bad most guys only get a ~600 mile range w/38 gallons. I have a 26 and am considering all the work involved in going to a 33 gallon. Can't speak for everyone but I get great MPG unloaded. Consistent 575 mile range w/26. Hit over 600 a few times.

IMO the 23 gallon is only a problem when towing/hauling heavy. You're effective range will likely be ~230 miles instead of ~330 miles under those conditions.
With 2wd and 3.21 axle, your truck is configured for optimal fuel economy. I'm jealous of your range, and can see why you're happy with the mid-size tank. My truck is 4x4 with a 3.92 axle and a 23 gallon tank. My range is about 250 miles less than yours. Obviously a 23 gallon tank is adequate. But having to stop and fill up more than once a week sucks. I didn't buy a truck for fuel economy, but I thought I would have at least as much range with this truck as I had with my 2017 Rebel. The Rebel was heavier, had 10 ply tires, and no etorque. But it got about 1 mpg better and had a 26 gallon tank. I love this truck other than the fuel tank size, but if I knew then what I know now I would have placed more importance on fuel tank size.

tim7139

Reaction score
The question for me is it worth the extra $445 for the 4 or 5 times a year that I will be towing to get that extra 10 gallons plus the frustration of having to reorder the truck. With the majority of those times being within a 250 mile radius. My real problem is the fact that I was told I was getting a 26 gallon tank and it showed up with 23.
For me the smaller tank of gas makes each fill up hurt that much less when gas prices are high.

Most of the work trucks at my last job had larger tanks, and fills were around $180 when the price was over 1.40/L!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sept 30th I just put my order in for 2021 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4, 6'-4" Bed, Black with Night Edition, EcoDiesel with a
33 Gallon Fuel Tank. I will be putting a Truck Cap on it and Fabricate an AUX fuel tank for the front of the bed. Goal
is about 100 Gallons total. I do a bunch of long distance trips.

On my 2008 Big Horn 5.7l Hemi I used the Bed tool box welded in a plate 8" up from the bottom creating
a 36 Gallon tank to go with the 26 Gallon Main Tank. I have a Transfer Pump and lines to the filler neck. A switch
on the center dash starts the pump. I get about 950 Miles on the Highway with it.

The HD trucks have a 50 Gallon tank available with the 8' bed.

Malodave

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie night edition truck has finally arrived at the dealer. I pretty much have this thing fully loaded. The only things I did not add were the MFT, Air Suspension and the 33 gallon tank. However my dealer assured me it was coming with the 26 gallon tank as its a free upgrade with the Level 2. The truck has arrived with a 23 gallon tank. How bad is this? The MSRP on this thing is slightly above 69K and Im super pissed it only has a 23 gallon tank. Is it enough to nix the deal? How much of a problem would it be to swap out the 23 gallon for even the 26 since it should be free?
Are you absolutely sure you have a 23 gallon tank? You can ask for a factory equipment printout by using the VIN. Laramies come standard with a 26 unless you get the eTorque, I guess.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 041146 miles.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure you have a 23 gallon tank? You can ask for a factory equipment printout by using the VIN. Laramies come standard with a 26 unless you get the eTorque, I guess.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 041146 miles.
Your guess would be wrong in this case. The standard size tank for a Laramie with 4x4 and short bed (5'7") is 23 gallons. Etorque is not what determines tank size. I'm not sure how this rumor started but it's not correct. It's the combination of 4x4 and short bed that causes the standard tank size to be 23 gallons.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your guess would be wrong in this case. The standard size tank for a Laramie with 4x4 and short bed (5'7") is 23 gallons. Etorque is not what determines tank size. I'm not sure how this rumor started but it's not correct. It's the combination of 4x4 and short bed that causes the standard tank size to be 23 gallons.
Thank you for the clarification.

I assume then that the combination of 4x4 and "short bed" only applies the the Crew cab?

Best regards,
Dusty

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification.

I assume then that the combination of 4x4 and "short bed" only applies the the Crew cab?

Best regards,
Dusty
Yes, you can only get the short bed with a crew cab on a 1500. There are no options for a short bed with any other cab size.

Polo08816

Reaction score
For me the smaller tank of gas makes each fill up hurt that much less when gas prices are high.

Most of the work trucks at my last job had larger tanks, and fills were around $180 when the price was over 1.40/L!
Having a smaller tank doesn't change the miles you need to drive. Having a smaller gas tank just increases the amount of time you have to spend refueling your vehicle.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I think this is incorrect too. I ordered my truck from the factory and have a 4x4 short bed crew cab, with a 26 gallon tank. I did not choose the tank, it's just what came. (Unless you're refering to the Laramie specficially and not other trims).

I don't think anybody really knows, there is too many people saying one thing and another person saying another. Could be as simple as changing month by month or quarter by quarter as Ram tries to move certain parts from inventory.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Three Rams in the family (two 2019 and one 2020). Two have 5.7L eTorque and one has the regular 5.7L. All have the "small" tank. Never a problem with the small tank even when I used one of the 2019's and the 2020 for two separate trips towing from Houston, TX to Detroit, MI and back. Even with the small tanks, I was able to go 3.5 hours between fuel stops (70 mph, 11 to 12 mpgs towing, with fuel in the tank for reserve) depending upon the terrain, winds, etc.

My butt and the noise maker of 33 years sitting in the seat beside me would squawk if it were any longer duration between toilets. Plus that, I need to stop every three or four hours anyway just to check the trailer and ensure I haven't pulled a Clark Griswold!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think this is incorrect too. I ordered my truck from the factory and have a 4x4 short bed crew cab, with a 26 gallon tank. I did not choose the tank, it's just what came. (Unless you're refering to the Laramie specficially and not other trims).

I don't think anybody really knows, there is too many people saying one thing and another person saying another. Could be as simple as changing month by month or quarter by quarter as Ram tries to move certain parts from inventory.
Did you order the truck or was it already on the lot? If it was on the lot, it could be that the dealer ordered it with the 26 gallon tank. But you're right, I was referring specifically to the Laramie trim. I haven't checked the other trim levels. Our Limited would have come with the 23 gallon tank, but we ordered the 33 gallon tank for that truck. We learned from my mistake since Mamma doesn't like to have to stop for gas often either LOL.

Yeah, I think you're right about things changing during a model year. Makes it hard to know exactly what you will get unless you take a look at the build sheet. I could have avoided the dreaded (by me at least) 23 gallon tank if I would have done that.

Users who are viewing this thread