5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

23 gallon tank a deal breaker?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For me, a 23 gallon tank wouldn't be a deal breaker, that's 3 gallons or 60 ish highway miles. I'll need to stop long before I run low on fuel and I regularly drive Dallas to Houston multiple times a year.
33 gallon tank didn't interest me in the least

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie night edition truck has finally arrived at the dealer. I pretty much have this thing fully loaded. The only things I did not add were the MFT, Air Suspension and the 33 gallon tank. However my dealer assured me it was coming with the 26 gallon tank as its a free upgrade with the Level 2. The truck has arrived with a 23 gallon tank. How bad is this? The MSRP on this thing is slightly above 69K and Im super pissed it only has a 23 gallon tank. Is it enough to nix the deal? How much of a problem would it be to swap out the 23 gallon for even the 26 since it should be free?
I thought you could only get 26 or 33. I have a 26 on my Hemi Etorque and it's perfect for me. City and highway driving on my end

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie Level 1 4x4 CC. There is no information on the Window Sticker for tank size. However, the build sheet shows 26 gallon tank. Maybe my dealership configured it with the 26 gallon; but there is no mention or upcharge on the Window sticker. I'm pretty sure it is 26 gallon because when the low fuel light came on it showed I had 50 miles left. At 16.5 MPG average for that tank; then it should have approximately 3 gallons of fuel (reserve) left for that 50 miles (as calculated by the truck's computer). When I filled up, it was just short of 23 gallons.
Insofar as tank size and driving; I have no issue with the fuel quantity of my truck. I don't drive a lot regularly, so I usually have to fill up every two weeks. On road trips I get somewhere between 400 and 450 miles per tank. I like to stop once every 3 or 4 hours on trips; so the gas has always made it to the next stop. I think the only downside to the smaller tank would be if you are towing long distances. I only tow my boat within a 200 mile maximum radius of home; so the towing mileage really isn't an issue for me.
Window stickers have been inconsistent. Trust the build sheet. If you were able to put 23 gallons into it, you have the 26 gallon tank. Upgrading from 23 to 26 gallons is a no-charge option.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It wouldn’t be be a deal breaker for me.. upgrading to the 33 tank after that fact isn’t all that expensive... however the dealer themselves would still need to take money off the overall price for their F up. Matter of fact I would have them do the upgrade after and eat the cost. It’s just a bigger gas tank guys it’s not a big deal like many of you are making it out to be.. 23 gallons is still plenty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was a deal breaker for me. Bought my truck with plans of several trips to Florida per year, dealer found couple with smaller tanks in state. My Rebel with 33 gallon tank came from Moore-head city NC.

Tonner

Reaction score
Guys, can’t he just look up his build sheet and see for sure which tank he has?
I did look on my build sheet.......and there it is that FN 23 gallon tank..........inconceivable!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 8.16.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 8.16.36 PM.png
    109.1 KB · Views: 28

Tonner

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie Level 1 4x4 CC. There is no information on the Window Sticker for tank size. However, the build sheet shows 26 gallon tank. Maybe my dealership configured it with the 26 gallon; but there is no mention or upcharge on the Window sticker. I'm pretty sure it is 26 gallon because when the low fuel light came on it showed I had 50 miles left. At 16.5 MPG average for that tank; then it should have approximately 3 gallons of fuel (reserve) left for that 50 miles (as calculated by the truck's computer). When I filled up, it was just short of 23 gallons.
Insofar as tank size and driving; I have no issue with the fuel quantity of my truck. I don't drive a lot regularly, so I usually have to fill up every two weeks. On road trips I get somewhere between 400 and 450 miles per tank. I like to stop once every 3 or 4 hours on trips; so the gas has always made it to the next stop. I think the only downside to the smaller tank would be if you are towing long distances. I only tow my boat within a 200 mile maximum radius of home; so the towing mileage really isn't an issue for me.
Im kind of in this boat Billy James. If I tow it will be less than 300 miles 90% of the time. To the Jersey shore or to the Poconos most of the time.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my experience it's not the long haul tows where you know that you'll be stopping regularly for fuel, it's the short haul ones. Nothing worse than having to stop for fuel 50 miles from your destination when all you want to do is get there.

Last edited:

dpdsurf

Reaction score
It will always bother you. I have the 23 gal tank and I was hesitant. It's good enough and I get similar range to other vehicles I have owned. But just know I could have had a 26 or 33 bothers me. I get about 300 miles before the light shows with another 50 miles in range left when I'm all city driving. This is San Francisco with steep hills everywhere. So I'd imagine this is a worst case scenario. But if you plan on towing a travel trailer I'd pass on the 23.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Wsmith

Reaction score
It wouldn’t be be a deal breaker for me.. upgrading to the 33 tank after that fact isn’t all that expensive... however the dealer themselves would still need to take money off the overall price for their F up. Matter of fact I would have them do the upgrade after and eat the cost. It’s just a bigger gas tank guys it’s not a big deal like many of you are making it out to be.. 23 gallons is still plenty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
To each his own. To me the 33 was the one requirement I had. Would have passed on a Ram if it were not available. I wish 40 was an option.

Zig10

Reaction score
For my typical fishing trip, the 33 gallon tank is the difference between being able to drive straight to and home from the ramp vs. stopping for fuel in a packed gas station in weekend beach traffic with a 24' boat behind me.

I learned that the hard way when I traded my former Yukon XL (32 gallon tank) in for an Expedition (28 gallon tank).

That aggravation alone was worth the trouble of finding the Ram with the larger tank.

Rexx

Reaction score
I went from a 32 gal tank on my 2016 longhorn to a 26 gal tank on my current limited. It’s a noticeable difference but it doesn’t really bother me. I went from filling up every 3-4 weeks to every 2-3 weeks for normal to and from driving for work and around town.

Longer road trips it doesn’t matter because there’s no way I’m making a full tank without stops due to the wife and kids.

Bulldawg23

Reaction score
Was for me. I made sure to get the 33 gallon tank. But I also live in the south in the middle of nowhere and make long trips often.

Lordy123

Reaction score
My build sheet says 26 Gal for standard equipment, then says "3.8 Additional Gallons of Diesel" under other equipment. do I have a 30 gal tank or a 33 gallon?

flyfingers

Reaction score
To the OP - If it were me in your shoes the 23 gal tank just wouldn't cut it. If you end up towing that means you're stopping every 3 hrs assuming you start looking for a gas station at 1/4 tank and, for me, that's simply too often and can really add a lot of time and potential hassle to a trip. I would also think a 33 gal would be a bonus to a potential buyer when you go to sell it / trade it in. I would really see if they would split the cost of upgrading to a 33 gal tank. If that was a no-go, I would absolutely insist on the 26 gal tank and if they balked I'd start making phone calls up the ladder.

Night Rebel

Reaction score
The only reason I got the 23 gallon is because of the deal I got on a dealer demo. I wish it was the 33. it is cheap to fill up tho. I luckily don’t drive to far for work.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
My build sheet says 26 Gal for standard equipment, then says "3.8 Additional Gallons of Diesel" under other equipment. do I have a 30 gal tank or a 33 gallon?

RAM (FCA) puts some fuel in all their vehicles ref delivery. U know moving in a lot, loading onto a truck, train transport. U would think they would not charge list, but alas, even on MY 19 Hemi, they listed it as: 5 Additional Gallons of Gas, gotta luv it

Users who are viewing this thread