5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

23 gallon tank a deal breaker?

Tonner

Reaction score
There's another thread stating similar about etorque and the 23 gallon tank. No one that has responded, that has etorque, has had a 23 gallon tank
It literally says it on the window sticker. Apparently its a free upgrade to the 26 gallon tank with the level 2 package but you have to specifically ask for it which is total BS

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.57.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.57.03 PM.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 45

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you go to Ramtrucks.com and build a Etorque or Hemi quad cab Laramie you will see that the standard tank is 23 gals and you have an option for a 33. If you build a crew cab Laramie you will see options for both 26 and 33 gal tanks....and if you don't pick either then the standard options list does not show a fuel tank so I think that the 26 is standard because its cost is $0.
obviously I didn't check all the trim levels but this was enough to confirm to me the existence of the 23 gal tank as standard for the eTorque.

I have no dog in this fight as my EcoD averaged 25mpg last tank for over 800 mile range. Hope to beat that this tank. ;)

Tonner

Reaction score
If you go to Ramtrucks.com and build a Etorque or Hemi quad cab Laramie you will see that the standard tank is 23 gals and you have an option for a 33. If you build a crew cab Laramie you will see options for both 26 and 33 gal tanks....and if you don't pick either then the standard options list does not show a fuel tank so I think that the 26 is standard because its cost is $0.
obviously I didn't check all the trim levels but this was enough to confirm to me the existence of the 23 gal tank as standard for the eTorque.

I have no dog in this fight as my EcoD averaged 25mpg last tank for over 800 mile range. Hope to beat that this tank. ;)
....and I literally asked the dealer to assure me that I was getting the 26. He printed this out for me and highlighted it saying this was my truck.....Apparently it wasnt

Attachments

• tempImage3PcV1Q.png
    tempImage3PcV1Q.png
    398.8 KB · Views: 51

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That is WRONG. My etorque truck came with a 26G tank and it wasn't an option or upgrade
Did you buy a crew cab or quad cab? If you would be so kind as to add your vehicle information in your signature I wouldn't have to ask, and it makes it easier for people to comment.
There's another thread stating similar about etorque and the 23 gallon tank. No one that has responded, that has etorque, has had a 23 gallon tank
I have etorque and a 23 gallon tank. Can you provide a link to this thread?

Tonner

Reaction score
Did you buy a crew cab or quad cab? If you would be so kind as to add your vehicle information in your signature I wouldn't have to ask, and it makes it easier for people to comment.

I will add it to my sig as well but I bought a crew cab.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Limited CrewCab 4x2 etorque 5.7

Zig10

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but there's no way on this earth I would buy one of these trucks with the 23 gallon tank. I had to look for 4 months to find the configuration I wanted (and still missed a couple of things), but the 33 gallon tank was at the top for me. I do tow with it, so that drives a good portion of the decision, but in general, less than 30 gallons on a full size truck is stupid.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Whimper whimper whimper, I’ve got a 23 gallon tank IZ my truck stooPiD, it does have its High school diploma.Ha ha ha

Wsmith

Reaction score
Now for me I would have to give up the tank in that scenario. I’ll take the inconvenience of having to stop for gas than the actual look and functionality of the halogen. JMO
Upgrading the lighting was easy, "relatively" inexpensive and has been done. Upgrading the tank would have been more expensive and tedious.

Wsmith

Reaction score
....and I literally asked the dealer to assure me that I was getting the 26. He printed this out for me and highlighted it saying this was my truck.....Apparently it wasnt
Walk. You will have buyers remorse. Wait the six to eight weeks and option the 33.

SJC5

Reaction score
I ordered a 2021 Laramie 4x4 5.7 w/ eTorque a week and a half ago. What I noticed on both nada.com and now the Ram builder site (which was not up when I ordered) is the 26 gallon tank is a free option if you choose a specific equipment level (for me Laramie Level 2). But you have to specifically choose it and tell the salesperson. It is not automatically included if you pick the appropriate level package. That is where a lot of the confusion comes as people see the $0 cost and assume it is included. This will be my first truck so I did not know better. There are a few other threads of people swapping out the gas tank for 33 gallon and it cost them over $2k to do it with the dealer. If I read the gas tank forum threads before I ordered I would have spent the ~$450 and got the 33 gallon but I did not know better but I will have the 26 gallon. What you have to ask yourself too is "how" will you use the truck. I have visions of grandeur of towing "something" (but I own nothing today) where I will be pissed with the constant refills. But, for now I know I will treat the truck like a baby.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Limited CrewCab 4x2 etorque 5.7
You got a 26 gallon tank because you bought a Limited. I spent a little time with the online configurator, and I wasn't able to configure a Limited with the 23 gallon tank, so it looks like the standard tank for a Limited, with any configuration, is 26 gallons. I also looked at the Laramie, and found a few things that were interesting. The standard size tank for the Laramie 4x2, regardless of cab configuration, is 26 gallons. It's the same for 4x4 for either cab configuration, if you select the longer bed. But, for the crew cab short bed (with 4x4), the standard tank size is 23 gallons. I didn't check any other trim levels besides Limited and Laramie.

PorBoy

Reaction score
Yes I have the Laramie 4x4 crewcab and that 23 that which you speak ha ha ha...

Hez

Reaction score
How do you know its a 23 gallon tank?
Many people on this forum are mis-informed about the tanks in these trucks because they can only put 23 gallons in it on a refuel. The tank has a 3 gallon reserve that the gauge doesn't see on purpose.

I was wondering when someone was going to mention this...

Not saying some trucks don't have a 23 gallon tank...but if you're putting 23 gallons in on a fill up...you probably have a 26 gallon tank and never use the reserves. Drive it for about 30 miles after the *** come up for your fuel range...

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guys, can’t he just look up his build sheet and see for sure which tank he has?

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I wonder if the dealer would be willing to work something out with you. Maybe they would be willing to split the cost of an upgrade to the 33 gal tank.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was wondering when someone was going to mention this...

Not saying some trucks don't have a 23 gallon tank...but if you're putting 23 gallons in on a fill up...you probably have a 26 gallon tank and never use the reserves. Drive it for about 30 miles after the *** come up for your fuel range...
Chances are good that there are a lot of 23 gallon tanks out there since it's the standard size for a very popular configuration (at least for the Laramie): 4x4, crew cab, short bed. Etorque doesn't play into that. Unless the dealer or you ordered that configuration with a 26 or 33 gallon tank, it will have a 23 gallon tank. It's always possible that there are a few outliers from that, since it's humans that are building them. Mistakes can be made.

You're right about the fuel reserve. I learned about that with my first Ram truck. It had a 26 gallon tank, but I was never able to put in much more than 22 gallons. It wasn't a surprise on my next 4th gen. It was a surprise on my current Laramie, which I can't put in much over 19 gallons. That was when I first found out that a lot of these trucks have a 23 gallon tank. A look at my build sheet confirmed it.

Guys, can’t he just look up his build sheet and see for sure which tank he has?
Yes. The build sheet will be right. If it says 23 gallons, it's got a 23 gallon tank.

Reactions: Hez

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Laramie Level 1 4x4 CC. There is no information on the Window Sticker for tank size. However, the build sheet shows 26 gallon tank. Maybe my dealership configured it with the 26 gallon; but there is no mention or upcharge on the Window sticker. I'm pretty sure it is 26 gallon because when the low fuel light came on it showed I had 50 miles left. At 16.5 MPG average for that tank; then it should have approximately 3 gallons of fuel (reserve) left for that 50 miles (as calculated by the truck's computer). When I filled up, it was just short of 23 gallons.
Insofar as tank size and driving; I have no issue with the fuel quantity of my truck. I don't drive a lot regularly, so I usually have to fill up every two weeks. On road trips I get somewhere between 400 and 450 miles per tank. I like to stop once every 3 or 4 hours on trips; so the gas has always made it to the next stop. I think the only downside to the smaller tank would be if you are towing long distances. I only tow my boat within a 200 mile maximum radius of home; so the towing mileage really isn't an issue for me.

Users who are viewing this thread