5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

23 gallon tank a deal breaker?

emings

Reaction score
I would be telling them to drop the tank and put me a 33 gallon tank on

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie night edition truck has finally arrived at the dealer. I pretty much have this thing fully loaded. The only things I did not add were the MFT, Air Suspension and the 33 gallon tank. However my dealer assured me it was coming with the 26 gallon tank as its a free upgrade with the Level 2. The truck has arrived with a 23 gallon tank. How bad is this? The MSRP on this thing is slightly above 69K and Im super pissed it only has a 23 gallon tank. Is it enough to nix the deal? How much of a problem would it be to swap out the 23 gallon for even the 26 since it should be free?

That would be a deal breaker for me. I can't even fathom how crappy that would be to have a small tank and have to fill up more and especially when towing it would suck. I have towed with this truck for approx 25,000 miles of my 43K+ and that would be unacceptable. Make them make it right!

Turin

Reaction score
My concern is when Im towing. Now in fairness I have nothing to tow......yet. I plan on getting a camper though.
How big a camper? How far do you expect to haul it? IMO the 33 gallon tank is a must for towing, but if you'll only be pulling a pop-up or travelling an hour or two away the smaller tank should be bearable. If you plan on pulling a travel trailer cross-country it definitely wouldn't be. You can expect to get roughly 10 mpg when pulling a TT.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To me that's a deal breaker. I would want them to install a 33gal tank.

ajkeence99

Reaction score
I would say there is no way a 3 gallon difference should be a deal breaker. I still get around 400 miles out of my 23 gallon tank and never run it fully empty. The way I see it is it just makes me stop a little more often but it doesn't affect any actual functionality. Perhaps if I were towing over long distances I would be annoyed by more frequent stops but it just seems like a nice-to-have thing to me.

Wsmith

Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie night edition truck has finally arrived at the dealer. I pretty much have this thing fully loaded. The only things I did not add were the MFT, Air Suspension and the 33 gallon tank. However my dealer assured me it was coming with the 26 gallon tank as its a free upgrade with the Level 2. The truck has arrived with a 23 gallon tank. How bad is this? The MSRP on this thing is slightly above 69K and Im super pissed it only has a 23 gallon tank. Is it enough to nix the deal? How much of a problem would it be to swap out the 23 gallon for even the 26 since it should be free?
For me personally, it would be a deal breaker. Search on here the switch to the 33 gallon has been done. But since you are under no obligation to buy a vehicle that did not come as described, tell the dealer you will take it if they only charge you the $445 option price to install the 33 gallon. They may laugh at you, but them you walk.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with the others that it's a deal breaker after owning one with a 23 gallon tank. I assumed it would have a 26 gallon tank, and there was no mention of tank size on the window sticker. It wasn't until after taking delivery that I found out what I had. I was pretty disappointed. Three gallons is a bigger deal for me, as it would mean I could drive to work 5 days instead of 4 on a tank of gas. So I could continue with my routine of stopping for gas on the same day of the week, like I used to do with my 4th gens. I'm a fan of routine.

I'd like to add that your omission of the MFT might haunt you if you ever actually use one. I know it does me.

Tonner

Reaction score
That would be a deal breaker for me. I can't even fathom how crappy that would be to have a small tank and have to fill up more and especially when towing it would suck. I have towed with this truck for approx 25,000 miles of my 43K+ and that would be unacceptable. Make them make it right!
The problem is I think they will let me walk. Im getting it for around 12k off MSRP on a 2021. They will have no problems getting rid of it. Then I would have to wait another 6-8 weeks to get another one built......
I would have to agree with the others that it's a deal breaker after owning one with a 23 gallon tank. I assumed it would have a 26 gallon tank, and there was no mention of tank size on the window sticker. It wasn't until after taking delivery that I found out what I had. I was pretty disappointed. Three gallons is a bigger deal for me, as it would mean I could drive to work 5 days instead of 4 on a tank of gas. So I could continue with my routine of stopping for gas on the same day of the week, like I used to do with my 4th gens. I'm a fan of routine.

I'd like to add that your omission of the MFT might haunt you if you ever actually use one. I know it does me.
I like the functionality of the MFT but not a big fan of the look. It seems there are some issues when trying to get a tonneau for them too.

Wsmith

Reaction score
The problem is I think they will let me walk. Im getting it for around 12k off MSRP on a 2021. They will have no problems getting rid of it. Then I would have to wait another 6-8 weeks to get another one built......

I like the functionality of the MFT but not a big fan of the look. It seems there are some issues when trying to get a tonneau for them too.
I gave up the premium lighting, found two in my area that I wanted. One had premium lighting and 5.7 e-torque 23 gal. The other had standard lighting, standard 5.7 and 33 gallon. I gave up the lighting for the tank.

Tonner

Reaction score
I gave up the premium lighting, found two in my area that I wanted. One had premium lighting and 5.7 e-torque 23 gal. The other had standard lighting, standard 5.7 and 33 gallon. I gave up the lighting for the tank.
Now for me I would have to give up the tank in that scenario. I’ll take the inconvenience of having to stop for gas than the actual look and functionality of the halogen. JMO

Tonner

Reaction score
I would be telling them to drop the tank and put me a 33 gallon tank on
It doesn’t seem that straight forward though. The last page they are talking about having to do some welding. Not doing that on a brand new truck

emings

Reaction score
It doesn’t seem that straight forward though. The last page they are talking about having to do some welding. Not doing that on a brand new truck
No way i would take delivery on something I didn't order.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you plan to get a camper no way I would accept that. In fact if you decide against it you should get the 33 gallon tank. I had a 19 hemi with the 26 gallon tank. Towing my RV fish house with it I’d get about 8.5mpg. I could only go 180 miles and I’d have to fill up with gas.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's true for the standard bed trucks with MFT. You didn't say that you're not getting the rambox, so I'm assuming you are. With that bed there's no need for the extra bracing, so you can use the same tonneau covers regardless of which tailgate you choose.

Tonner

Reaction score
That's true for the standard bed trucks with MFT. You didn't say that you're not getting the rambox, so I'm assuming you are. With that bed there's no need for the extra bracing, so you can use the same tonneau covers regardless of which tailgate you choose.
I am getting the rambox
i am getting the ramboxes and I’ve been eyeing up the BakFlip mx4

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They R doing the 23 gallon tanks for the E-Torque's, and most of the straight Hemi's have 26 gallon tanks, why, who knows. Unless U order specifically to get a bigger tank. I wish I had a 33 on MY 19, but got the upgraded 26 gallon, but the fuel gauges are silly ne way and are not set up to show the actual amount of fuel, again hmmmmmmmmmmm. Would not be a deal breaker for me, but if I ordered a truck with a 26, and it came with a 23, I would be saying: See the Order, Mr. Dealer, fix it, LOL. But that's me. But U got the pretty Night Edition, I wish I had, but when I bought in Aug 2018, was no where to be found. Drive it, Enjoy It, Maintain It, but all IMHO.........

That is WRONG. My etorque truck came with a 26G tank and it wasn't an option or upgrade

BowDown

Reaction score

How do you know its a 23 gallon tank?
Many people on this forum are mis-informed about the tanks in these trucks because they can only put 23 gallons in it on a refuel. The tank has a 3 gallon reserve that the gauge doesn't see on purpose.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
That is WRONG. My etorque truck came with a 26G tank and it wasn't an option or upgrade
U got lucky, most of the E torque's have the 23 Gal tank, U got 26, outstanding. MY 19 Bighorn had a 23 Gallon standard, but I bought off the lot and it was a level 2 non etorque, so had 26 gallon. U really neva know with FCA, they change up so much stuff all the time, kinda like luck of the draw sometimes...

The gas gauge stuff with FCA that be a whole diff conversation, just a saying......But sir, wateva works for U......................

BowDown

Reaction score
U got lucky, most of the E torque's have the 23 Gal tank, U got 26, outstanding. MY 19 Bighorn had a 23 Gallon standard, but I bought off the lot and it was a level 2 non etorque, so had 26 gallon. U really neva know with FCA, they change up so much stuff all the time, kinda like luck of the draw sometimes...

The gas gauge stuff with FCA that be a whole diff conversation, just a saying......But sir, wateva works for U......................

There's another thread stating similar about etorque and the 23 gallon tank. No one that has responded, that has etorque, has had a 23 gallon tank

Users who are viewing this thread