5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

23 gallon tank a deal breaker?

Tonner

Reaction score
My 2021 Laramie night edition truck has finally arrived at the dealer. I pretty much have this thing fully loaded. The only things I did not add were the MFT, Air Suspension and the 33 gallon tank. However my dealer assured me it was coming with the 26 gallon tank as its a free upgrade with the Level 2. The truck has arrived with a 23 gallon tank. How bad is this? The MSRP on this thing is slightly above 69K and Im super pissed it only has a 23 gallon tank. Is it enough to nix the deal? How much of a problem would it be to swap out the 23 gallon for even the 26 since it should be free?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yikes. For mine it would be a deal breaker. 23 or even 26 is just not big enough in my opinion.

Tonner

Reaction score
Yikes. For mine it would be a deal breaker. 23 or even 26 is just not big enough in my opinion.
How do they justify having a 23 gallon tank on any trim with any configuration? My Grand Cherokee has a bigger tank.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
They R doing the 23 gallon tanks for the E-Torque's, and most of the straight Hemi's have 26 gallon tanks, why, who knows. Unless U order specifically to get a bigger tank. I wish I had a 33 on MY 19, but got the upgraded 26 gallon, but the fuel gauges are silly ne way and are not set up to show the actual amount of fuel, again hmmmmmmmmmmm. Would not be a deal breaker for me, but if I ordered a truck with a 26, and it came with a 23, I would be saying: See the Order, Mr. Dealer, fix it, LOL. But that's me. But U got the pretty Night Edition, I wish I had, but when I bought in Aug 2018, was no where to be found. Drive it, Enjoy It, Maintain It, but all IMHO.........

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
How do they justify having a 23 gallon tank on any trim with any configuration? My Grand Cherokee has a bigger tank.
I know. And in town these trucks get abysmal MPG, so you’ll be stopping to fill up fairly frequently. To me any tank under 30 gallons is inadequate in a full size truck.

Tonner

Reaction score
They R doing the 23 gallon tanks for the E-Torque's, and most of the straight Hemi's have 26 gallon tanks, why, who knows. Unless U order specifically to get a bigger tank. I wish I had a 33 on MY 19, but got the upgraded 26 gallon, but the fuel gauges are silly ne way and are not set up to show the actual amount of fuel, again hmmmmmmmmmmm. Would not be a deal breaker for me, but if I ordered a truck with a 26, and it came with a 23, I would be saying: See the Order, Mr. Dealer, fix it, LOL. But that's me. But U got the pretty Night Edition, I wish I had, but when I bought in Aug 2018, was no where to be found. Drive it, Enjoy It, Maintain It, but all IMHO.........
[/QUO
It's a payload game. Ram is trying to keep the payload above 1,000lbs in your configuration
Hmmm. I was wondering that myself. They're trying to offset the weight of the etorque.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I know. And in town these trucks get abysmal MPG, so you’ll be stopping to fill up fairly frequently. To me any tank under 30 gallons is inadequate in a full size truck.

I took a trip to NJ and back the 1st week I owned MY 19. I found on Highway with cruise on, got 20-22 mpg. With the 26 gallon tank, had to stop every 4-5 hours, but on a trip, U gotta stop ne way. Coffee, fuel, potty breaks, U know, all the necessary things. LOL.....

Tonner

Reaction score
Yeah. I love the truck. I drove by yesterday to take a peek! Its gorgeous. I love the all blacked out look. Im just pissed about the tank.

Tonner

Reaction score
I took a trip to NJ and back the 1st week I owned MY 19. I found on Highway with cruise on, got 20-22 mpg. With the 26 gallon tank, had to stop every 4-5 hours, but on a trip, U gotta stop ne way. Coffee, fuel, potty breaks, U know, all the necessary things. LOL.....
That is a good point. My concern is when Im towing. Now in fairness I have nothing to tow......yet. I plan on getting a camper though.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Yeah. I love the truck. I drove by yesterday to take a peek! Its gorgeous. I love the all blacked out look. Im just pissed about the tank.
Understand, heck there is always the option to put a 40-60 gravity fed tank in the bed, LOL, I know a few Diesel PPL that do it, but that would be more of a business thang.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
That is a good point. My concern is when Im towing. Now in fairness I have nothing to tow......yet. I plan on getting a camper though.

TOWING: I have 3:21, OK, pull a stock trailer, 2150 lbs, loaded with hay, comes out to 6000-7000 lbs. Now I only go local, and do not have a WDH, but I see almost 13 mpg when towing. But remember, Hemi's torque range a lot higher, closer to 4,000 rpm, vs sometimes 2,000 rpm on a Diesel, so that Hemi is a working a lot harder to pull. If I had to tow a lot, which I do not, I would have gone back to a Diesel, but NOT the ED, a Cummins.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you love the truck, putting in the 33 is possible

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I researched it, not a cheap option to do, but it is doable. I thought of going from 26 - 33, since a lot of parts interchangeable, but then thought, WTH, I am on the other side of 50 YOA plus, I can just stop, and save myself some $$$$$$, and my truck stays parked 98.5% ne way, so for me it just works, but everybody has their own personal issues, and what works for dis Boird may not work for others, as we all have Different Opinions...

PorBoy

Reaction score
I have a 23 gallon tank with a lift and a ton of other weight added and let me just say stopping for gas sucKSSSSS lol. There have been several meme er who’ve upgraded at cost to the 33 gallons and no complaints after. If I drive mine more then 2 miles per week then I would entertain the thought. Back to your question at hand, yes it would be a deal breaker !!!!

Barqs

Reaction score
IMHO, if you were seriously ordering the truck for towing you should have checked the 33 gallon box on the order form. Going from 26 to 23 is ONLY 3 gallons, which when towing would equate to maybe 30 miles difference between stops. That's not a big deal when you think about it, is it? So you stop maybe 30 minutes earlier. I rarely make a full tank run without stopping once (or twice). Maybe when I was 20, but not now.

Tonner

Reaction score
IMHO, if you were seriously ordering the truck for towing you should have checked the 33 gallon box on the order form. Going from 26 to 23 is ONLY 3 gallons, which when towing would equate to maybe 30 miles difference between stops. That's not a big deal when you think about it, is it? So you stop maybe 30 minutes earlier. I rarely make a full tank run without stopping once (or twice). Maybe when I was 20, but not now.
Well I didn't specifically order it for towing, but I hear what you are saying. Ill probably use to tow around 5 times a year. I certainly won't be adding all the weight that PorBoy added to his! I had to take a break halfway through his signature!

PorBoy

Reaction score
Lol sadly that’s not all that’s been added to mine so I definitely would be a candidate for an increased tank. The problem is what benefit would I have with my truck sitting as it does.

Tonner

Reaction score
If you love the truck, putting in the 33 is possible

Good to know. Im thinking, Ill buy it and if it becomes that unbearable I could always upgrade......

Tonner

Reaction score
Lol sadly that’s not all that’s been added to mine so I definitely would be a candidate for an increased tank. The problem is what benefit would I have with my truck sitting as it does.
Thats kind of what Im thinking. During Covid Im filling my tank once a month.

Users who are viewing this thread