5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22" Rims vs 20" Rims (Limited)

Smoot178

Reaction score
Has anyone been in a position where they could tell if the ride quality on the 20's are better than the 22's?

cjmst23

Reaction score
Yes.... I have both, OEM 22s and OEM 20s for my Limited.

My conclusion :
- mostly eye candy
- tires on stock 20s will last longer (22s have softer rubber)

Smoot178

Reaction score
Yes.... I have both, OEM 22s and OEM 20s for my Limited.

My conclusion :
- mostly eye candy
- tires on stock 20s will last longer (22s have softer rubber)

So you would recommend the 20's then? Is the ride quality significantly different? I've never had rims this big. My last van had 15's.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I drove one with 20's and one with 22's. I could tell no difference. I ordered mine with the 22's because of how they look.

cjmst23

Reaction score
So you would recommend the 20's then? Is the ride quality significantly different? I've never had rims this big. My last van had 15's.
I went with 22s for eye candy, but use the 20s for winter. 20s are much more forgiving on curbs and potholes

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Bigger sidewall is GENERALLY going to give better ride softness.

Ride QUALITY is generally an opinion based on what one finds quality...so to speak.

If one determines quality to be that they corner tightly and feel every swell and bump of the road that they can, then they will probably like lower profiles....

If one thinks quality is is more of a thud and bounce over bumps, and more absorption, then they might be keen on fatter walls.

Quality to me is about absorbing the road.

Some may feel quality is how long a tire lasts, maybe also coupled with other attributes like mentioned above.

Lower profiles, like 22s will GENERALLY be done faster than 20s... and they can cost more. Thats a double whammy. Triple whammy if you throw in how much rougher and unforgiving they can tend to be on rougher roads. Its a quadruple whammy if you throw in the cost of accidental curb rash on rims due to the smaller wall.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Smoother ride and less chance of damaging rims over holes, etc. if you go with the 20s, imho

cjmst23

Reaction score
I drive 100% on roads, parking lots and driveways.... Love the look of the 22s. But, also took some of the info into consideration so I went with 2 sets.

cjmst23

Reaction score
I drive 100% on roads, parking lots and driveways.... Love the look of the 22s. But, also took some of the info into consideration so I went with 2 sets.
22s is spring, summer,and fall. 20s in winter. Both last much longer. Rotate and swap myself.... Took 34 minutes for all 4 (yes, I timed it)

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
Going through the same thought process right now. I currently have the factory 18s and it rides great, looks meh, but rides great. I am concerned that either the 20s or 22s wouldn't ride as good as the 18s with 22s being on the far end of the ride quality spectrum. I just don't have any personal experience to put with it.

skmc1967

Reaction score
My last RAM had 22’s, I just bought a new RAM yesterday with 20’s. My ego liked the 22’s, my driving experience likes the 20’s. Better handling and smoother - though concerned about messing up the rims. We’ll see...

jk101

Reaction score
I happily have the 20's , as much as i like the look of the 22's. Having low profile tires on north NJ roads sucks, been there done that... never again.

Cannonball

Reaction score
All the reasons mentioned so far are good. Here is my fiscal perspective of the descision.

If you're ordering a model that comes with 20s on the base build, I'd recommend staying with 20" strictly due to price. I slightly wish I had.

Initial benefit of 20s is $1700ish net savings on your truck.

If the 22 eye candy just keeps pulling at you a few months down the road...
There have been a few sets of OEM 22 take offs make their way through the classified section already going for around the same price as the discounted and taxed factory upcharge. The difference is, you'll now have a set of 20s w tires sellable for $1000

It's a little more headache of course needing to deal with used tire transactions but nets you everything you want much cheaper and gets you experience with both.

MarkAntney

Reaction score
I've owned my 2019 LHorn since Jun20 with OEM 20s but I apparently bought it with the Camber being out a little on the front. I didn't notice the tire wear until I needed a new tire. So I decided to upgrade to 22". There's a notable difference in the ride. It's stiffer and more truck like. I previously owned a 2015 Ford F150 Lariat (I traded it for the LHorn) and the 22s ride is quite similar (slightly better) to my 15 Lariat (which had 20" OEMs). But I prefer the stiffer ride. With those 20" OEMs on my LHorn it rode like a luxury SUV. And that's meant as a total compliment to Ram. I just prefer the stiffer ride than the plush one.

sessman

Reaction score
Has anyone been in a position where they could tell if the ride quality on the 20's are better than the 22's?
I went from a 2019 Laramie with 20" rims to a 2021 Laramie (night edition) w/ 22" rims. I can tell zero difference in ride quality and absolutely love the black 22s.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I test drove three trucks back to back on the same route. Big horn with 20’s, Laramie with 22’s and rebel with 18’s. Laramie with steel springs and 22’s was the harshest and I felt every bump and joint in the road, but it looked purty. The big horn felt most truck like and the rebel was the most compliant and comfortable. I’m in Canada so went with the Rebel as the lowest trim I could get the diesel in.

Users who are viewing this thread