5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22 Limited Rear Doors

Ducky5

Reaction score
Hopefully this is the right forum, if not I apologize.

Purchased my '22 Limited about 2 weeks ago. When shutting the drivers side rear door it sounds very cheap. It makes a weird noise that doesn't seem as solid as it should be, almost like the sheet metal doesn't have anything behind it. There aren't many dealers around me that have any Limited trim trucks that I can go test out to see if I have a warranty claim. I did visit my friend who has a '21 TRX and his doors sound like I believe they should.

Anyway my question, have any of you noticed this issue? I'm not sure if it's something they did on the '22MY to save weight or if I need to take it in for a warranty claim.

jws1982

Reaction score
Most likely some fasteners or clips that didn’t seat properly. I bet one of the larger interior door pieces between the metal and interior panel is loose. Or, I guess it could just be a bad latch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wsutard1

Reaction score

Purchased my '22 Limited about 2 weeks ago. When shutting the drivers side rear door it sounds very cheap. It makes a weird noise that doesn't seem as solid as it should be, almost like the sheet metal doesn't have anything behind it. There aren't many dealers around me that have any Limited trim trucks that I can go test out to see if I have a warranty claim. I did visit my friend who has a '21 TRX and his doors sound like I believe they should.

Anyway my question, have any of you noticed this issue? I'm not sure if it's something they did on the '22MY to save weight or if I need to take it in for a warranty claim.
I can confirm that they do sound like the front when shutting. Should not sound cheap.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine sounds like I think it should. There really isn't a difference in sound between either rear door on my truck.

Ducky5

Reaction score
Cool thank you all. Will make sure I have the dealer check this out next time I'm in for service.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a post that others have the same concern. My '21 Rebel rear door sounds hollow when closed. Some have added sound deadening to the door panel to absorb the "cheap" sound. I haven't opened my door panel up yet, but my thought is that the door skin has flex and is not secured to a crash beam inside or doesn't have any sound deadening from the factory. It's not just the Limited, so any driver rear door may provide a similar result.

ChrisID

Reaction score
I have two 5th gens 20 laramaie & 21 limited and the rear doors on both sound hollowish, or not solid like the fronts, or coming from my many GM's of the past. Assumed it was normal since I have two alike and I've moved on.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My rear door sounds hollow/cheap as well...nothing like the front door. I notice it every time I close it.

wvinson

Reaction score
Could it be the vent flap on the back of the cab that you're hearing in the rear that you probably don't hear as much as when shutting the front door?

deese

Reaction score
Yep mine sound the same. Definitely different than the front doors.

Runagun

Reaction score

When you post something like this. I suggest attaching a video. So Much easier for people to determine. Just a thought.,

Ducky5

Reaction score
I'll try to grab a video of it tonight or tomorrow.

The big thing I was trying to find out is if anyone else's rear doors sounded different than the fronts. Calling it a "hollow" sound is almost spot on.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 21 Laramie is the same. Rear doors sound hollow.

I noticed it on all the trucks I was looking at on the lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

river rat

Reaction score
I'll try to grab a video of it tonight or tomorrow.

The big thing I was trying to find out is if anyone else's rear doors sounded different than the fronts. Calling it a "hollow" sound is almost spot on.
I always enter thru the front driver door, so the "hollow" sound is not a big deal for me.

ChrisID

Reaction score
My guess is, it's just a slight oversight by the engineers. Maybe some insulation was/is needed. If your door closes correctly and has no obvious gap, my opinion is to move on.
Re: Engineers. They did such a great job on this truck in so many ways, a little hiccup is OK with me.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I dont think you need a video since 15 other guys are agreeing they notice it as well.

speedracernc

Reaction score
Mine is a 19' and has the same problem. Dealer couldn't replicate. Only that one door sounds different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online