5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22 limited 4x4 3.92 gear fuel economy

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, if I reset at the top of the hill, throw it in neutral and kill the engine, I get fantastic milage by the time I am at the bottom! unfortunately I have to start it again.

That’s what you get for lifting it and over compensating with your tire size ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldsy

Reaction score
I had a Titan before my Ram. I was lucky to get 13 in that truck. I'm averaging about 16.5 in my Ram, with 3.21 gears, and I have a bit of a heavy foot.

b4ville

Reaction score
I live in northern pa with mountains and can average close to 22mpg if I don’t go above 65.

And I can also average 10mpg if I’m messing around.

Same to me I can get about 22 with 3.92 rear avg 63 mph

Attachments

• C20BE91C-320B-41C0-9138-193371F58233.jpeg
    C20BE91C-320B-41C0-9138-193371F58233.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 6F6FF886-3FF7-4312-B54A-0593C7329B3B.jpeg
    6F6FF886-3FF7-4312-B54A-0593C7329B3B.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 21

usedup

Reaction score
Mines averaged 18mpg in a mix of 70/30 city and highway driving

At 65mph I'm around 26mpg but at 65 I'd get run over. I average 22-23mph at 72ish mph. My city/highway mixed driving (70/30 city/highway) has been 18 since day on or over 35K miles
You got the magic one with that kind of mileage. On my 4th RAM but not a magic one yet. I'm in the 15-17 club.

braddgibbo

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Sport (Canada) w 3.92s and am coming from a HD 6.4 Hemi with 4.10s.

With the HD, I was averaging 15mpg 70/30 city/hwy. I got as high at 18mpg hwy with the HD - this is a truck that is much heavier with the bigger hemi!! What I noticed was quite a difference when I switched to using ethonol free gas (pure gas). Haven't tried this with my 1500 yet as it only has 400km on the odo so it's brand new! Anyways, thought I would share my experience with pure gas.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in northern pa with mountains and can average close to 22mpg if I don’t go above 65.

And I can also average 10mpg if I’m messing around.

LOL! Same here. I drive from NJ to PA (Poconos) almost every weekend, on I-80. The best I've been able to do is 22mpg with cruise control at 67mph.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Manufacturers do their own testing per EPA rules and provide the data to the agency. The EPA only samples a small number of vehicles each year to verify the manufacturer results.

The test cycles used to calculate the fuel economy numbers are based on very conservative driving behavior. For example, the rate of acceleration is specifically determined in each cycle and even a % for idling time is factored in. Only one of the tests considers if the AC is on and accounts for just 10 minutes of the complete 95-ish minute cycle of tests.

Making comparisons with someone else is basically pointless. There are too many variables for why one driver can meet or beat the numbers and another is dismally low. How quickly the vehicle is accelerated, the terrain, temperature, wind, fuel blend/quality etc are just a few.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Manufacturers do their own testing per EPA rules and provide the data to the agency. The EPA only samples a small number of vehicles each year to verify the manufacturer results.

The test cycles used to calculate the fuel economy numbers are based on very conservative driving behavior. For example, the rate of acceleration is specifically determined in each cycle and even a % for idling time is factored in. Only one of the tests considers if the AC is on and accounts for just 10 minutes of the complete 95-ish minute cycle of tests.

Making comparisons with someone else is basically pointless. There are too many variables for why one driver can meet or beat the numbers and another is dismally low. How quickly the vehicle is accelerated, the terrain, temperature, wind, fuel blend/quality etc are just a few.
Yea, but it sure makes for a popular topic on forums. There are a million threads comparing gas milage.

DSTJ99

Reaction score
I’m not really disappointed with fuel economy but more annoyed that most trucks had the eTorque option when I bought mine and averaging 15 mpg with all the tech that went into eTorque seems like a fail and future liability. Sure it shifts smooth but it’s not like the std hemi shifts like a manual. I disabled stop start and fuel Econ is averaging the same as before.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
The etorque will only improve your mpg if you sit in a lot of traffic

Users who are viewing this thread