5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22 limited 4x4 3.92 gear fuel economy

Usmc041127

Reaction score
Mine isn't doing to bad considering the weight of the truck and the terrain in the midwest. Seems like 65 mph is the sweet spot for mine. The computer is off on mine. Figuring it by the pump its 2 tenths off per gallon to the good. I'm pretty content coming from my 16 ram 2500 diesel with 3.42. I was only getting 15.5 17.5.

Attachments

• 20220409_192942.jpg
    20220409_192942.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 20220409_195241.jpg
    20220409_195241.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 155
U

User_3336

I can get up to 19.1, then it levels down to around 18.5. That's about as good as it gets. 3.92 does kill MPG a small bit.

Neil McCauley

Reaction score
18 isn't awful. I can get near 20 sometimes on my commute, but have to go 50, maybe roll a stop sign a tiny bit.

Mileage.jpg

One thing I think I've noticed is cruise control can worsen mileage in slightly hilly areas. It somehow doesn't let you coast above the set speed.

DSTJ99

Reaction score
I recently did a day trip that was almost 200 miles on flat back roads and was able to get 20 mpg average at 55mph but I usually don’t drive that slow. Really dips down dropping almost a mile per gallon with each additional 5 MPH. I was close to 14 when doing 80. I have a heavily optioned limited with 3.92.

Normally around town I average 14 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I recently did a day trip that was almost 200 miles on flat back roads and was able to get 20 mpg average at 55mph but I usually don’t drive that slow. Really dips down dropping almost a mile per gallon with each additional 5 MPH. I was close to 14 when doing 80. I have a heavily optioned limited with 3.92.

Normally around town I average 14 or so.

Agreed. My loaded Longhorn has gotten the average you see in my signature over 25,000+ miles of urban highways and city streets. I was able to top 17 mpg for a whole tank just once…when I took a road trip on backwoods highways, not interstates.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
18 isn't awful. I can get near 20 sometimes on my commute, but have to go 50, maybe roll a stop sign a tiny bit.

Mileage.jpg

One thing I think I've noticed is cruise control can worsen mileage in slightly hilly areas. It somehow doesn't let you coast above the set speed.

I've noticed the same thing, cruise control is too aggressive and doesn't manage speed well if it needs to change faster or slower

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine is sitting at mid/high 15's over the last 35k miles, most of which has been Hwy driving.. pretty poor considering the window sticker said something like 17 city and 22 Hwy.

Specs in the Sig.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I do mostly city driving and between 8 and 10....but I didn't buy a truck expecting prius gas mileage. I don't quite understand all the 'my gas mileage sucks' threads. Nothing against the OP, just in general

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I do mostly city driving and between 8 and 10....but I didn't buy a truck expecting prius gas mileage. I don't quite understand all the 'my gas mileage sucks' threads. Nothing against the OP, just in general
I think it's because Ram advertises an mpg these trucks will never see. Granted, to get those numbers Ram are probably testing 3.21 4x2 trucks going downhill with the wind behind them. But I'd like to get somewhere close to it. I expected worse mileage with the 3.92 gears but woof - it's been bad. Every other truck I've owned as performed as advertised. Don't get me wrong because it's the best truck I've ever owned by a mile. Just wish the mpg was as advertised... or even close.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I think it's because Ram advertises an mpg these trucks will never see. Granted, to get those numbers Ram are probably testing 3.21 4x2 trucks going downhill with the wind behind them. But I'd like to get somewhere close to it. I expected worse mileage with the 3.92 gears but woof - it's been bad. Every other truck I've owned as performed as advertised. Don't get me wrong because it's the best truck I've ever owned by a mile. Just wish the mpg was as advertised... or even close.
That's not true. Many of us get mpg's that are within the advertised range. In the summer I get 17.5 mpg with a 80/20 city/highway mix. If I reset my computer and hit the highway right away, I'm in the low 20's but I just don't drive on the highway enough for that to be sustainable.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Yep. And those epa numbers are averages. So some are higher and some are lower.

My truck sees window sticker mpg as well.

If you want window sticker mpg you have to drive very cautiously, don’t lift your truck, and keep Oem style tires on it.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
If you want window sticker mpg you have to drive very cautiously, don’t lift your truck, and keep Oem style tires on it.

Done, done, and done. My sticker says I should be seeing 22 highway. The very best I've been able to get is 19 and that was on an overall decline. I've tried cruise control, no cruise control, etc. Doesn't matter.

I didn't buy this truck for fuel economy by any means. I knew what I was getting into. I'm just saying it's worse than I thought it would be and worse than advertised. I live in the EKY hills and that plays into it. But every other truck I owned matched the window sticker or better, no sweat.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I live in northern pa with mountains and can average close to 22mpg if I don’t go above 65.

And I can also average 10mpg if I’m messing around.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I live in northern pa with mountains and can average close to 22mpg if I don’t go above 65.

And I can also average 10mpg if I’m messing around.

See I just don't know how people are doing that. My commute to the office is almost entirely highway. I keep it around 65mph as well and I typically average 18mpg at best. Usually it's around 17.5. Oh well. It is what it is and I still love this thing.

EDIT: Also, your wheels make me weak at the knees.

Last edited:

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Can also be the fuel blend. I’ve not seen those numbers since last summer. Winter fuel sucks. My trip over the weekend I averaged around 18.

BowDown

Reaction score
Mines averaged 18mpg in a mix of 70/30 city and highway driving
See I just don't know how people are doing that. My commute to the office is almost entirely highway. I keep it around 65mph as well and I typically average 18mpg at best. Usually it's around 17.5. Oh well. It is what it is and I still love this thing.

EDIT: Also, your wheels make me weak at the knees.

At 65mph I'm around 26mpg but at 65 I'd get run over. I average 22-23mph at 72ish mph. My city/highway mixed driving (70/30 city/highway) has been 18 since day on or over 35K miles

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
That's not true. Many of us get mpg's that are within the advertised range. In the summer I get 17.5 mpg with a 80/20 city/highway mix. If I reset my computer and hit the highway right away, I'm in the low 20's but I just don't drive on the highway enough for that to be sustainable.
Yea, if I reset at the top of the hill, throw it in neutral and kill the engine, I get fantastic milage by the time I am at the bottom! 😄 unfortunately I have to start it again. 🤨

Users who are viewing this thread