5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22 Laramie with 5.7 etorque question

ljinnc

Reaction score
Today I bought a 2022 Laramie with 5.7 with etorque as it was equipped as I wanted. I'd have preferred a standand 5.7. Did I make a mistake? Are they reliable? Any thoughts appreciated, Thanks

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with either of the 5th gens I've owned with etorque. I've seen that the main people who complain about them are the people who don't own them. Like any system, there have been people who have had issues with it. But so far it hasn't been much of an issue. I imagine that any real problems would occur after several years of ownership. If you're planning to keep it for a long time you might eventually have issues with it. I probably would have not opted for it if I had ordered my truck, but since this truck had everything else I wanted it wasn't a deal breaker.

RBJ

Reaction score
No issues with my 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn Limited with a 5.7L Hemi and eTorque.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve had two with the etorque! No issues with that system and once your get used to the way it operates you will like it👍🏻

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No issues, 2020 with 17k. I don't like the feel of the regenerative braking. But have mostly gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me much anymore. Otherwise some of the system's features are actually good.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m a bit hesitant about it as well. After ordering I tried to change to a regular Hemi without but it was too late. Only time will tell if I like it or not. I’ll give it a fair chance. Good thing is I found the Auto Start/Stop Eliminator so I can permanently turn off if I choose.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Today I bought a 2022 Laramie with 5.7 with etorque as it was equipped as I wanted. I'd have preferred a standand 5.7. Did I make a mistake? Are they reliable? Any thoughts appreciated, Thanks
Handful of us have had the issue in this thread.

It's only happened to me twice, and now has a TSB that looks to be an easy fix.

Despite that, I wouldn't order a Ram without it. I really like the system, and you don't have to worry about it for at least 8 years.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m a bit hesitant about it as well. After ordering I tried to change to a regular Hemi without but it was too late. Only time will tell if I like it or not. I’ll give it a fair chance. Good thing is I found the Auto Start/Stop Eliminator so I can permanently turn off if I choose.
The autostop eliminator is one of my favorite mods.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Last time I checked the eTorque starter/generator is around $1,400 and the battery pack is around $1,600.

I tend to own trucks long after the warranty has expired so that's a hard pass...

Bigbags85

Reaction score
No issues with my etorque so far. 7200ish miles.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Last time I checked the eTorque starter/generator is around $1,400 and the battery pack is around $1,600.

I tend to own trucks long after the warranty has expired so that's a hard pass...
I have replaced more Hemi engines in 5th gen Rams vs eTorque battery or Generator.

SirHempCo

Reaction score
Unfortunately as of late I've been having an issue with the shifter going into autocorrect when stopping/starting from a stop sign. Will be taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Other than that I love me 21' Laramie (12k miles on it).

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I came across this today while looking for another concern. May apply to some of you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220503-184312_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220503-184312_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 29

Bavet

Reaction score
I had Hemi eTorque on my 2019 Big Horn and loved it. That's why I wanted it on my 2022. But they seemed to have tweaked it to the point I no longer like it and wish I wouldn't have gotten it now. My simple complaint is that the Stop/Start function of the system shuts off the engine before the truck comes to a complete stop. It's a minor annoyance in normal driving but it makes rolling stops/yields impossible and slowly pulling into my garage or a parking space is very annoying when it shuts off a couple times before I actually come to the spot where I want to stop. Then when I shift to Park it restarts. Kinda defeats the gas saving feature of Start/Stop. Most times I remember to turn it off before I park but sometimes I don't. But really, why should I have to if it's such a good system? Now I'm sorry I paid the cash for it and sorry I have to carry the extra weight of the system around if I'm just shutting it off all the time. It's a hit against my payload.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I had Hemi eTorque on my 2019 Big Horn and loved it. That's why I wanted it on my 2022. But they seemed to have tweaked it to the point I no longer like it and wish I wouldn't have gotten it now. My simple complaint is that the Stop/Start function of the system shuts off the engine before the truck comes to a complete stop. It's a minor annoyance in normal driving but it makes rolling stops/yields impossible and slowly pulling into my garage or a parking space is very annoying when it shuts off a couple times before I actually come to the spot where I want to stop. Then when I shift to Park it restarts. Kinda defeats the gas saving feature of Start/Stop. Most times I remember to turn it off before I park but sometimes I don't. But really, why should I have to if it's such a good system? Now I'm sorry I paid the cash for it and sorry I have to carry the extra weight of the system around if I'm just shutting it off all the time. It's a hit against my payload.
I don't understand why it turns back on when you shift it into park either. It's kind of stupid. As for creeping slowly I've found that if you barely take your foot off the brake and don't depress it hard you can get it to where it won't shut off.

Users who are viewing this thread