5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22 Inch rims......How do they ride?

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I already ordered my truck with the 22's (mainly because I didn't like the 20 inch rims) but for those of you with the 22 inch rims and tires...Are you happy with it? How does it ride? Any regrets?

D

Deleted member 85

This is a question we are all awaiting an answer for.

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Sorry just saw this thread. I am amazed at how nice this truck rides. Again I don’t have much to compare it to coming from a 2012 2500 nor have I driven a new 1500 with 18’s or 20’s. However I think the ride is amazing. Nicest truck I have ever ridden in

Ksilva211

Reaction score
I wish it had an all terrain tire on it. Not a huge fan of the suv highway tire they throw on it. But we can fix that. Had I ordered the truck I probably would have gotten the 20s. Not because I don’t like the way the 22s look because they look amazing but because I’m afraid to ruin them and get new tires for them haha

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ksilva211 said:
I wish it had an all terrain tire on it. Not a huge fan of the suv highway tire they throw on it. But we can fix that. Had I ordered the truck I probably would have gotten the 20s. Not because I don’t like the way the 22s look because they look amazing but because I’m afraid to ruin them and get new tires for them haha
So your happy with the 22's! Thats a good thing
263a.png

mrmachaveli

Reaction score
They ride nice. But you cannot fully tell due to the fact that the Limited comes with Air Ride. I drive both 18s 20s and 22s most days working at the dealership. Is their a difference. Yes, going from 18 to 20 there is not much, but you can tell a handling difference with the 22s, but the air ride affects that as well. Either way the coil springs are the best, But it is all relative. and I would not overthink. The truck as a whole, drives smoother than the older 1500 2018 and previous. So just get what you like. You will be fine.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
mrmachaveli said:
They ride nice. But you cannot fully tell due to the fact that the Limited comes with Air Ride. I drive both 18s 20s and 22s most days working at the dealership. Is their a difference. Yes, going from 18 to 20 there is not much, but you can tell a handling difference with the 22s, but the air ride affects that as well. Either way the coil springs are the best, But it is all relative. and I would not overthink. The truck as a whole, drives smoother than the older 1500 2018 and previous. So just get what you like. You will be fine.
It's amazing how much smoother they are than the 4th gens, the ride and quietness surpassed even my expectations, and they were high.

Eric s

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram limited with 22 rides rough my 16 limited with 20s rode much better.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Larger, lower profile tires, will always ride harsher. I have a SUV on 22's with rubber bands for tires and the ride is pretty harsh. I chose the 20's for my truck because I already knew this and have experience with it.

I definitely love the look of the 22's over the 20's.

But then again, these are really good riding trucks and unless you are barrelling down some seriously bad roads, I kinda doubt it'll be that big of a difference. I test drove a couple on 22's and they seemed fine, but my 20's were just a bit smoother to me.

I suppose a person could argue that the 22's will corner better :) Which would then make the entire decision really come down to personal use and expectations. My SUV corners like a sports car, and for that reason I wouldn't want anything else on it.

Eric s

Reaction score
Well for me with the crappy roads in Winnipeg the difference is huge, I am really disappointed in how this truck rides maybe something else is wrong. My 16 rode night and day better.

PTRAM

Reaction score
I already ordered my truck with the 22's (mainly because I didn't like the 20 inch rims) but for those of you with the 22 inch rims and tires...Are you happy with it? How does it ride? Any regrets?

All I can tell you since I don't have the 22s is that my service writer at my dealer has the 22s on a Limited with air shocks and he is going to replace them with 20s and Michelin's. He had been thinking of doing it but confirmed it to me that he was going to do it now. He said he was just "feeling the bumps too much."

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
All I can tell you since I don't have the 22s is that my service writer at my dealer has the 22s on a Limited with air shocks and he is going to replace them with 20s and Michelin's. He had been thinking of doing it but confirmed it to me that he was going to do it now. He said he was just "feeling the bumps too much."
Really? Wow.
I have 22"s. and my truck runs almost as as smooth as my air-suspension Mercedes SUV. Not quite of course, but almost as good. Can barely feel bumps, even in our atrocious liberal-gov maintained Houston roads.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ride quality was probably the number one reason I ended up with RAM, as my wife couldn't handle other trucks we test drove. I rode in both 20s and 22s and honestly could barely tell a difference with the air suspension. I'm happy with the ride on the 22s for sure, and thus far all passengers have commented on how nice the ride is. Not saying the 20's aren't incrementally better, but I'm definitely surprised anyone would say the 22's ride bad. YMMV.

Eric s

Reaction score
Well I noticed it right away and I had just got out of my 2016 limited to test the 19 limited. I bought one and am getting the 20 inch rims put on they look nice but the ride is not good. Took me a few days to get over the new truck novelty to realize how much worse it was. On smooth roads you do not notice but with little sidewall it makes a difference. All my passengers confirmed this also the old Ram seems heaver and more solid feeling. I am a old fart and used to drive old school Lincolns so I do not care about how fast I can go around the Nyberg ring. I like a smooth ride. Do not get me wrong I love the truck but the 22s are for kids who do not know what a smooth riding vehicle feels like and care about the latest trend of stupidly large rims. I hope the smaller rims help. Maybe because the truck is new it is too stiff. I know rim sizes are personal taste so take my comments as a joke but the ride was better in my 16 with 20s.

Eric s

Reaction score
I agree with his assessment 100 percent.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well I noticed it right away and I had just got out of my 2016 limited to test the 19 limited. I bought one and am getting the 20 inch rims put on they look nice but the ride is not good. Took me a few days to get over the new truck novelty to realize how much worse it was. On smooth roads you do not notice but with little sidewall it makes a difference. All my passengers confirmed this also the old Ram seems heaver and more solid feeling. I am a old fart and used to drive old school Lincolns so I do not care about how fast I can go around the Nyberg ring. I like a smooth ride. Do not get me wrong I love the truck but the 22s are for kids who do not know what a smooth riding vehicle feels like and care about the latest trend of stupidly large rims. I hope the smaller rims help. Maybe because the truck is new it is too stiff. I know rim sizes are personal taste so take my comments as a joke but the ride was better in my 16 with 20s.
Agree to disagree.
BTW, I'm older than you. ;)

Cheers,

IA_Dawg

Reaction score

I replaced my factory 22" inch tires with Michelin Defenders LTX's and the ride is so much better.

sass

Reaction score
I went from my limited’s 22” rims down to 20’s with ridge grapplers. I run on gravel roads and muddy locations for work and needed a more aggressive tire but better ride. I really like my 20’s so much better.

Attachments

• 773E8908-7571-4082-AF2A-4A34B3DD1E4B.jpeg
    773E8908-7571-4082-AF2A-4A34B3DD1E4B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 47

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I replaced my factory 22" inch tires with Michelin Defenders LTX's and the ride is so much better.

Tires likely play a huge role for sure. So will tire pressure.

I wish I was a kid still...but those days are long gone ;) Everyone will have a different feeling on this, as it is very subjective. But I'm also no stranger to smooth riding vehicles, and this certainly qualifies in both the 20's and the 22's. Easiest way is to simply test drive both and make your own call on what YOU prefer. There should be enough on lots for people to do this now.

Users who are viewing this thread