5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo, SO, 420HP - check engine light

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My autel will only read the generic obd codes. I think its too new and has one of those security gateways… looks like the gateway is in a different spot in the 2025’s. I have a bypass cable but couldn’t find the module.
Your bypass cable will not work on this truck. New style connector.

Attachments

• SGMDT.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
  • SGMDTCONNECTOR.pdf
    387.7 KB · Views: 16

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your bypass cable will not work on this truck. New style connector.
Thanks!

How do you get those drawings for the wiring? I was wondering if the passenger seat wiring is the same from the previous model. I want to add the power seat to my LoneStar, then get the seats done in red.

larryinokc

Reaction score
Well, an update on my CEL problem...my 479 mile nightmare has turned into an unfathomable mess. The dealer is telling me that the cam needs to be replaced after almost 2 weeks of sitting their service dept., but no worries Larry, there's no metal shavings in the oil because the oil pump has some super duper filter that catches that stuff. Did they pull the pan, nope, they just know. If any lobe(s) show damage, there's metal in that engine, I'd bet my life on it. They have absolutely no idea where they're going to get a cam, because there's none available in this country. They'll probably have to get one out of Mexico or better yet, Italy. It just keeps getting better and better. I opened a case with Ram Support and they're supposed to wade into this mess (we'll see). I've secured an attorney just in case I start hollering Lemon Law. If I do, I won't be requesting a replacement truck, I'll be demanding a full buy back. We've gone way beyond the point of ridiculous, I'm fresh out of patience

Montesa

Reaction score
It's downright infuriating how the Chrysler technical engineering team is dragging their feet with awkwardly long response times. It's becoming painfully clear that the authorized services just aren't technically equipped to handle these issues. And what's worse? They think it's acceptable to hold onto a customer's brand new truck for 15-20 days without any sort of technical resolution! Stellantis needs to wake up and realize that our trucks are more than just vehicles; they're our lifeline. I use mine for work, for feeding my family, for picking up my kids from school—literally for everything. This situation is absolutely unacceptable.
Be thankful you don't own a 2022 RAM HD with the Cummins.

15-20 days? Try multiple months multiple times and still not repaired. Common with the 2022 Cummins trucks.

larryinokc

Reaction score
Be thankful you don't own a 2022 RAM HD with the Cummins.

15-20 days? Try multiple months multiple times and still not repaired. Common with the 2022 Cummins trucks.
I've got a 22 3500 Dually, and I haven't had a lick of problems with it. It has 224K on the clock. I pull a livestock trailer or a 38' Scarab with it, and it pulls like nothing is behind it.

azzx

Reaction score
Well, an update on my CEL problem...my 479 mile nightmare has turned into an unfathomable mess. The dealer is telling me that the cam needs to be replaced after almost 2 weeks of sitting their service dept., but no worries Larry, there's no metal shavings in the oil because the oil pump has some super duper filter that catches that stuff. Did they pull the pan, nope, they just know. If any lobe(s) show damage, there's metal in that engine, I'd bet my life on it. They have absolutely no idea where they're going to get a cam, because there's none available in this country. They'll probably have to get one out of Mexico or better yet, Italy. It just keeps getting better and better. I opened a case with Ram Support and they're supposed to wade into this mess (we'll see). I've secured an attorney just in case I start hollering Lemon Law. If I do, I won't be requesting a replacement truck, I'll be demanding a full buy back. We've gone way beyond the point of ridiculous, I'm fresh out of patience
Larry,
I am sorry for your "unacceptable" experience with your truck.
If it were me @ 479 miles with the same problem, I would ask for my money back on the spot. Or, full replacement @ no cost with an equivalent 2024 model.
Do you have an option to get a 2nd opinion from another RAM dealer that also services Jeeps with the same engine?
Based on my experience so far (nothing too complicated) most of the dealers are clueless about the issues with 25. This is baffling -- we are not talking about complications of the W16 Bugati here!

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was always worried about this, they've been building the Hemi forever, it's a dinosaur of an engine, and there is still a waiting list for very basic parts like an exhaust manifold.

What would happen to this dealer network when they had something far more newer and complicated?

Hopefully they'll get a handle on it, hopefully it's minor, and you guys don't have to suffer very long over this.

larryinokc

Reaction score
Larry,
I am sorry for your "unacceptable" experience with your truck.
If it were me @ 479 miles with the same problem, I would ask for my money back on the spot. Or, full replacement @ no cost with an equivalent 2024 model.
Do you have an option to get a 2nd opinion from another RAM dealer that also services Jeeps with the same engine?
Based on my experience so far (nothing too complicated) most of the dealers are clueless about the issues with 25. This is baffling -- we are not talking about complications of the W16 Bugati here!
Oklahoma has a quirky Lemon Law. 4 Check Engine lights within the first year of ownership qualifies a vehicle to be labeled a "Lemon", and I'm at 6, BUT (there's always a but) you have to give the dealer the chance to attempt to fix the vehicle. The problem here is, they can't find the part(s) needed to repair my pickup, so what am I supposed to do, wait indefinitely? They swear there's no metal in the oil, even without pulling the pan. Anybody with half a brain cell knows that when a cam goes bad, it's liable to do a lot more damage to the engine when you throw in push rods and lifters. You show me a screen that can filter out the microscopic pieces of cam and I'll eat my hat, especially if they didn't drop the oil pan to see. That's pure insanity, but they're the experts, not me. Oklahoma doesn't have a specific division to enforce their Lemon Law, so the customer is left to either try to negotiate by him/herself, or shell out some dough to a lawyer. I've got the patience of a saint, but when it's gone, it's gone. Unfortunately for me when I'm done with something, my mouth tends to outrun my brain, and I speak in mostly four letter words. Getting S****y with the people who are supposedly trying to fix my truck is definitely not a wise choice. If Ram Care doesn't come up with a workable solution (they ask for 3 business days), then my next step is the lawyer I retained. The one and only thing I do know for sure is, unless Stellantis caves to customer outrage and reluctantly brings back the Hemi, I'll never own another Ram. For anyone else in Oklahoma, FYI...David Stanley Chrysler Dodge RAM Jeep is the dealer in question.

larryinokc

Reaction score
I was always worried about this, they've been building the Hemi forever, it's a dinosaur of an engine, and there is still a waiting list for very basic parts like an exhaust manifold.

What would happen to this dealer network when they had something far more newer and complicated?

Hopefully they'll get a handle on it, hopefully it's minor, and you guys don't have to suffer very long over this.
Stellantis screwed the pooch when they decided to 86 the Hemi in favor of the Hurricane, because there's no significant difference in fuel mileage. The Hurricane engines are built in Mexico, but they're still an Italian engine any way you cut it.

Ski Bum

Reaction score

Progress Update - 07/01/2024​

I received a call from a Stellantis representative assigned to oversee the resolution of my issue. I was informed that the problem has reached the Stellantis Head of Quality, as well as senior managers in RCRM and Engineering. We are currently awaiting the new ignition module, which is expected to arrive at the service center this week.

Stellantis has confirmed full reimbursement for all expenses related to the rental vehicle, including Uber rides to and from Enterprise Car Rental. Additionally, I was informed that they will waive several car payments as compensation for the inconvenience caused.

I have been assured that multiple senior-level managers are now overseeing the resolution process. Overall, this is a positive development.

My Thoughts​

Given the price point and the competitive nature of today's car market, it is imperative to prioritize both quality control and customer support. There should be a standard Service Level Agreement (SLA) specifying the maximum duration a service center can hold a vehicle for issue resolution. Additionally, a clear escalation path for technical problems should be established through customer service.

The quality and mechanical readiness, especially at higher price points, should be an absolute priority. Manufacturers must take all possible steps to enhance both quality and customer experience.

My relatively successful resolution can be attributed to my professional experience documenting and communicating issues as a Project Manager for a major utilities firm. However, not all customers have the persistence or time to engage deeply.

All customers should receive equally excellent treatment.
Thank you for sharing your story and update, sorry you had such an ordeal but hopefully now it's over. This helps inform the rest of us, thanks again!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Stellantis screwed the pooch when they decided to 86 the Hemi in favor of the Hurricane, because there's no significant difference in fuel mileage. The Hurricane engines are built in Mexico, but they're still an Italian engine any way you cut it.
Agreed, though the Hurricane isnt about fuel economy. It's all about emissions compliance, which wasn't possible without a clean sheet redesign of the Hemi.

Stellantis either doesn't have the money or the will to do what GM and Ford has done to keep their V8s in compliance into the future.

After a year or two of sales, I think they're going to realize they should have invested in a new V8 along with the Hurricane for non-V8 applications.

It's amazing how GM & Ford can offer a myriad of engine possibilities with their 1500s, while RAM only has the Pentastar and Hurricane.

Last edited:

larryinokc

Reaction score
Agreed, though the Hurricane isnt about fuel economy. It's all about emissions compliance, which wasn't possible without a clean sheet redesign of the Hemi.

Stellantis either doesn't have the money or the will to do what GM and Ford has done to keep their V8s in compliance into the future.

After a year or two of sales, I think they're going to realize they should have invested in a new V8 along with the Hurricane for non-V8 applications.

It's amazing how GM & Ford can offer a myriad of engine possibilities with their 1500s, while RAM only has the Pentastar and Hurricane.
There's nothing amazing about it. Ford and GM are still American companies. Chrysler sold it's soul to a bunch of foreigners who have zero interest in what the American market wants. They jacked up the prices on anything Mopar or Jeep, and slashed quality. The Chrysler building is all but abandoned up there in Michigan, they've laid off engineers faster than you can count them, it's turned into a three ringed circus. You watch...Stellantis is going to bleed Chrysler dry, then throw them overboard and laugh all the way to the bank. I'm not sure the US economy, at least the current one can afford to bail out another car maker, or if Uncle Sam would even want to. Not to get political here, but there was an assassination attempt on Trump today. An inch to the right, and he'd be dead now. I see nothing but dark days ahead, at least until November. I sincerely hope that at some point in the future, hopefully near future, Chrysler can rid itself of Stellantis, regain some of it's glory and start building quality V8 powered vehicles again.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
There's nothing amazing about it. Ford and GM are still American companies. Chrysler sold it's soul to a bunch of foreigners who have zero interest in what the American market wants. They jacked up the prices on anything Mopar or Jeep, and slashed quality. The Chrysler building is all but abandoned up there in Michigan, they've laid off engineers faster than you can count them, it's turned into a three ringed circus. You watch...Stellantis is going to bleed Chrysler dry, then throw them overboard and laugh all the way to the bank. I'm not sure the US economy, at least the current one can afford to bail out another car maker, or if Uncle Sam would even want to. Not to get political here, but there was an assassination attempt on Trump today. An inch to the right, and he'd be dead now. I see nothing but dark days ahead, at least until November. I sincerely hope that at some point in the future, hopefully near future, Chrysler can rid itself of Stellantis, regain some of it's glory and start building quality V8 powered vehicles again.

Well let's be honest, Chrysler has been circling the drain for a while, while under FCA as RAM, Jeep and Dodge did great. Other than the 300C and the Voyager, there wasn't much left of Chrysler even back then.

I don't think there's another bailout required, their North American operations are still the most profitable side of Stellantis. Worse case, they'll sell to another automaker while ending underperformed brands, like Chrysler.

Just reading up on what happened to Trump, that's some crazy stuff happening right now. God bless he is fine and that innocenent bystander that was killed, and we find more on who the assassin was.

larryinokc

Reaction score
Well let's be honest, Chrysler has been circling the drain for a while, while under FCA as RAM, Jeep and Dodge did great. Other than the 300C and the Voyager, there wasn't much left of Chrysler even back then.

I don't think there's another bailout required, their North American operations are still the most profitable side of Stellantis. Worse case, they'll sell to another automaker while ending underperformed brands, like Chrysler.

Just reading up on what happened to Trump, that's some crazy stuff happening right now. God bless he is fine and that innocenent bystander that was killed, and we find more on who the assassin was.
Well yeah, I just say Chrysler because I don't know what else to call them. Chrysler Plymouth? :ROFLMAO:

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
479 miles on it, I'd be demanding my money back. And they've had it 2+ weeks and couldn't figure it out?

Reach out to @Russian Tank and see if he can assist with the resources he has found.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Its because Ford and GM sells alot of crapy little cars sold, that offset the average for CAFE standard.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Its because Ford and GM sells alot of crapy little cars sold, that offset the average for CAFE standard.
Not just that, GM has invested 1 billion on next-gen V8 that will pass emissions, that is what Stellantis didn't want to do.

That next-gen V8 comes out in 2028, first in the next Corvette, then trucks.

As for Ford, they made sure the Coyote V8 was emissions compliant since the last gen Mustang was going to have it, hence the F-150 still getting it.

Last edited:

Dandeg

Reaction score
Latest update as of 6/28/2024, 11:00 AM CST

I received a call from Stellantis Customer Care & Experience, Executive Referrals Manager, inquiring about my issue. Stellantis's manager stated that he would contact the service and get a detailed report on this check engine light issue and cover my driving costs while my truck was in service. Also, the manager has stated that he will call me back on Monday with the next steps.

I think I got through, and the system is bothered by the fact that I've Tweeted several public statements tagging Stellanis corporate and #RAMfail, as well as their entire executive team.

I hate to complain, but I need to eat.

Also, Stellantis was especially concerned that the truck was released back to me the first time I dropped it off with stored (not active) misfiring codes without a comprehensive resolution. I hope nobody gets fired cuz it is getting nasty.
How can I get help? I’m having this same issue with multiple cylinders misfiring. Check engine came on little over 1000 miles. They said nothing they could find wrong with it. They had my truck a week. Now 200 miles later and same check engine light. Can anyone guide me on how to get this resolved? Greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread