5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 RAM 1500 BIGHORN 3.0 I HURRICANE twin-turbo, SO, 420HP - check engine light

lebanondon

Reaction score
Checking in and following this thread. CEL with Cylinder misfiring codes after 1400 miles... Taking to dealer later today to get their thoughts

cpetku

Reaction score
A little devils advocate:

I work in software as I suspect many do.

These things are now rolling Software applications, with the new Ram having probably close to 2 dozen individual networks (idk but the new F150 has about 4 dozen).

In the software world this would be a big release and perfection wouldn’t be expected. When problems arise they’d begetting be seen for the first time, and multi day diagnostics/ triage wouldn’t be unheard of.

We recently had a full global team working around the clock to figure out an issue and it took nearly a week to even identify a problem, say nothing of providing a fix.

My point is I doubt there is a pure and fundamental mechanical issue here (though who knows) but rather the software and systems are not playing nice.

Dealers are even less equipped to diagnose software issues; their job is likely or should be as a liaison to the engineers directly at Stellantis. Who are likely overwhelmed and contributing to the delays and lack of communication.

Like all software issues no doubt it will get fixed. But it’s why o don’t take the first big release of anything right away.

It it won’t be the end of the world for those that do, IF they have proper expectations AND Stellantis figured out quick how to manage those expectations.

All that said…
Other OEMs have managed clean sheet intros with less issues. So idk.
My take on the 2024 model is it was rolled out early. I'm used to seeing the next years model after the summer shutdown/retooling. Releasing in January seems like a half year change as ocurred in the 60's. If the argument is SW wasn't ready, then why roll the launch out early. They should have just kept making 23's with V8's and done more testing on the new powertrain (and SW). Simply feels like deviation from established best practices.

I realy hope you aren't advocating that automotive customers accept the manufactures adopting a SW model as Microsoft seemed to roll out whereby the end consumer becomes the Hardware In the Loop test bench. Way too much liability if this is the case since the complexity of the SW and interactions between electrical components could result in loss of property/loss of life if not properly vetted out.

Last edited:

Finnyatf

Reaction score
Checking in and following this thread. CEL with Cylinder misfiring codes after 1400 miles... Taking to dealer later today to get their thoughts
2025 sst? If so, welcome to the club. Mine has been at the dealer since last Monday waiting on a star case engineer… only has 1600 miles on it with misfire codes..

MHoffman816

Reaction score
Same issues here... Less than 1500 Miles, been back to the dealer twice. First time was for a check engine light and Blind Spot monitoring not working. They fixed the Blind Spot monitoring (Loose Connector) and then diagnosed the check engine light to be a misfire code. They put 70 miles on the truck and couldn't find a misfire. They cleared the code and gave it back to me. Less than 5 days later after remote starting, the truck shut off due to another Check Engine light. Its currently at the dealership and haven't heard any update in 4 days. I've been in a loaner vehicle more than I have my truck it seems. I'm wasting lease miles driving to and from the dealership multiple times plus the additional mileage they put on the truck to "Test". Any suggestions with what course of action I should take?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same issues here... Less than 1500 Miles, been back to the dealer twice. First time was for a check engine light and Blind Spot monitoring not working. They fixed the Blind Spot monitoring (Loose Connector) and then diagnosed the check engine light to be a misfire code. They put 70 miles on the truck and couldn't find a misfire. They cleared the code and gave it back to me. Less than 5 days later after remote starting, the truck shut off due to another Check Engine light. Its currently at the dealership and haven't heard any update in 4 days. I've been in a loaner vehicle more than I have my truck it seems. I'm wasting lease miles driving to and from the dealership multiple times plus the additional mileage they put on the truck to "Test". Any suggestions with what course of action I should take?
Rack up the miles on the rental.

MHoffman816

Reaction score
Rack up the miles on the rental.
I'm using the loaner for everything but I'm not even in a comparable vehicle. The first trip to the dealer they put me in a Dodge Hornet R/T. This second trip they put me in a Jeep Gladiator which is horrible to drive in every aspect. I'd like nothing more than to be in the truck that I'm paying for.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm using the loaner for everything but I'm not even in a comparable vehicle. The first trip to the dealer they put me in a Dodge Hornet R/T. This second trip they put me in a Jeep Gladiator which is horrible to drive in every aspect. I'd like nothing more than to be in the truck that I'm paying for.
Take good notes and research on the lemon law. I'd also demand they put you in a similar vehicle to what you have.

OLLIECB

Reaction score
Misfire codes on mine as well...finally getting the codesnafter 06.28.2024 visit and after this visit today, hopefully...if I get it back today

Finnyatf

Reaction score
I contacted Ram cares to speed it along but haven’t seen much progress. They seem to act like they haven’t heard of misfire problems but it seems like a bunch of us are having this problem. My light would come on at startup while the idle stumbled around. It was also stuttering while driving at low rpm. They say the engine is new but its been in the wagoneer for a year or 2.

lebanondon

Reaction score
dealer acting like they haven’t seen this yet for me too. I feel like there’s no way I’m the first one

Exact codes:
P0300 random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
P0306 cylinder 6 misfire
C0300 manufacturer control
P0300
P0305 cylinder 5 misfore
C0700 manufacturer control
P0000 manufacturer control

OLLIECB

Reaction score
I have a loner Ram Big Horn...they said they aren't sure what is wrong or have a fix for the Check Engine Light issue with my Laramie (misfire on a few cylinders)...what are the chances the Check Engine Light comes on on this truck too, lol!?!?!?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
dealer acting like they haven’t seen this yet for me too. I feel like there’s no way I’m the first one
There is a great chance they haven't seen that concern. I have not seen this concern at our shop yet. I have the pleasure of seeing every repair order in our service department

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Exact codes:
P0300 random/multiple cylinder misfire detected
P0306 cylinder 6 misfire
C0300 manufacturer control
P0300
P0305 cylinder 5 misfore
C0700 manufacturer control
P0000 manufacturer control

Yay now we’re cooking.

If it were me I’d clear the codes, then swap the ignition coil from cylinder 5 to any other cylinder and see if the misfire codes return. If they do, see if the code follows the coil to the new cylinder.

If so, probably a bad coil - perhaps they got a bad batch.

If it comes back on same cylinders the. It’s something else more complicated. Anything from software issue to fueling to ignition.

lebanondon

Reaction score
Yay now we’re cooking.

If it were me I’d clear the codes, then swap the ignition coil from cylinder 5 to any other cylinder and see if the misfire codes return. If they do, see if the code follows the coil to the new cylinder.

If so, probably a bad coil - perhaps they got a bad batch.

If it comes back on same cylinders the. It’s something else more complicated. Anything from software issue to fueling to ignition.
I’ve seen the codes on many different cylinders 1, 4, 5, 6…

lebanondon

Reaction score
I didn't notice this before but yeah it seems like at engine startup you can really feel the misfires. Once I start driving I no longer feel them.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't notice this before but yeah it seems like at engine startup you can really feel the misfires. Once I start driving I no longer feel them.
I felt the same, but have been hoping it's nothing serious. Let's see how it keeps on running. I'm going to hook it up to my Autel and look over how the engine is running live.

Finnyatf

Reaction score
I felt the same, but have been hoping it's nothing serious. Let's see how it keeps on running. I'm going to hook it up to my Autel and look over how the engine is running live.
My autel will only read the generic obd codes. I think its too new and has one of those security gateways… looks like the gateway is in a different spot in the 2025’s. I have a bypass cable but couldn’t find the module.

MT755

Reaction score
How can an engine work in the Wagoneer for two years, tested, tested and tested in the ram, have so much trouble. I'm guessing bean counters and products pushed to market by management without proper testing. The programmers for the engine must be the same as uconnect. Buggy buggy

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sometimes preproduction is better. All those trucks that was given to reviewers to test a few months ago, clearly weren't this buggy. But once the process is put into production, well things change or whatever team was in charge of keeping those pre-production trucks in good shape didn't pass along all those notes to the production team.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My autel will only read the generic obd codes. I think its too new and has one of those security gateways… looks like the gateway is in a different spot in the 2025’s. I have a bypass cable but couldn’t find the module.
Yeah I just noticed that as well. Wonder why they changed the wiring so much for a truck that is so closely similar to the previous year.

Users who are viewing this thread