5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 brochure

HARDWATERFLYER

Reaction score
If you pause the BigHorn video on the steering wheel it has Adaptive Cruise Control buttons. I doubt this a production model. But Maybe?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I must say the Hurricane perplexes me. I ended up buying a 2023 F-150 with the 5.0L V8, but I follow all the brands. I am simply a reader once in a while here. I must say I am perplexed at Stellantis’ decision to can the 5.7 Hemi in its entirety. The 3.0 Hurricanes I have seen in the Wagoneers put out more Nox and Carbon emissions per mile than Fords 5.0 V8 in my truck per the EPA stickers I’ve cross referenced. So the emissions seems to be a wash when compared to a modern 32V V8 like the Coyote that’s running a higher static compression. Perhaps the 5.7 polluted more due to the pushrod design? I’m not sure. I admittedly have checked on the emissions of a non e-torque Hemi.

GM and Ford both are signaling hybrid versions of their V8 engines coming. On a recent call Ford CEO said the V-8 program will receive continued investment and that a hybrid version of the 5.0 is “very likely”. GM has launched their hybrid 6.2 as the E-Ray in the Corvette, and we all know the 6th gen small block V8 coming down the pipe for the trucks is likely to be hybridized. In the era of tail end of ICE, the hurricane seems like a weird move. Why not a full series hybrid 5.7 Hemi with a 100 HP E-drive motor on the bell housing? Surely would have been cheaper to develop and easier to package. You can also run leaner AFR’s with the Hemi attached to a real series hybrid. Ford and GM will both be offering a V8 and Turbo motors side by side, seems like they may snatch up some would be Ram customers.

The hemi is a very dirty engine, it has had a great 20 year run but it has simply run out of time. But yes you're not the only one speculating that perhaps Stellantis develops a new v8 at some point in the future for trucks and suv's.

In any case, my truck will be in my driveway until the wheels fall off or my needs change significantly, and as of now the most likely upgrade would be a 3/4 gasser from GM or Ford.

Jamesalan98

Reaction score
If you pause the BigHorn video on the steering wheel it has Adaptive Cruise Control buttons. I doubt this a production model. But Maybe?
adaptive cruise is now standard on all the new 2025 ram 1500 models. so is LED lights, blind spot monitoring, and lane keep assist. I know most people are talking about the hurricane replacing the hemi but the other big change this year is that a lot of the safety stuff that was much harder to get is now standard. The first page of this posting has the brochures that show what is on the trims.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
adaptive cruise is now standard on all the new 2025 ram 1500 models. so is LED lights, blind spot monitoring, and lane keep assist. I know most people are talking about the hurricane replacing the hemi but the other big change this year is that a lot of the safety stuff that was much harder to get is now standard. The first page of this posting has the brochures that show what is on the trims.

Gotta say, if you can get fender flares, adaptive cruise (Advance Safety Group) and a power Passenger seat, Big Horn just became my favorite trim.

I hate leather in a truck but love goodies.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The hemi is a very dirty engine, it has had a great 20 year run but it has simply run out of time. But yes you're not the only one speculating that perhaps Stellantis develops a new v8 at some point in the future for trucks and suv's.

In any case, my truck will be in my driveway until the wheels fall off or my needs change significantly, and as of now the most likely upgrade would be a 3/4 gasser from GM or Ford.
Stellantis is already testing a hydrogen powered Hemi based V8. There was even talk last year that it was going into the Hellcat models when they were going to dip the gas Hemi.

pensfan

Reaction score
Gotta say, if you can get fender flares, adaptive cruise (Advance Safety Group) and a power Passenger seat, Big Horn just became my favorite trim.

I hate leather in a truck but love goodies.
Power passenger seat is just us wishing. I doubt it will happen. They want to upgrade us to the Laramie to get that. Both Chevy and GMC are the same way with the power seat, only available on the higher trim models..
They could package this in with the Level 2 group and it would make a lot of people happy, especially us leather haters.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I must say the Hurricane perplexes me. I ended up buying a 2023 F-150 with the 5.0L V8, but I follow all the brands. I am simply a reader once in a while here. I must say I am perplexed at Stellantis’ decision to can the 5.7 Hemi in its entirety. The 3.0 Hurricanes I have seen in the Wagoneers put out more Nox and Carbon emissions per mile than Fords 5.0 V8 in my truck per the EPA stickers I’ve cross referenced. So the emissions seems to be a wash when compared to a modern 32V V8 like the Coyote that’s running a higher static compression. Perhaps the 5.7 polluted more due to the pushrod design? I’m not sure. I admittedly have checked on the emissions of a non e-torque Hemi.

GM and Ford both are signaling hybrid versions of their V8 engines coming. On a recent call Ford CEO said the V-8 program will receive continued investment and that a hybrid version of the 5.0 is “very likely”. GM has launched their hybrid 6.2 as the E-Ray in the Corvette, and we all know the 6th gen small block V8 coming down the pipe for the trucks is likely to be hybridized. In the era of tail end of ICE, the hurricane seems like a weird move. Why not a full series hybrid 5.7 Hemi with a 100 HP E-drive motor on the bell housing? Surely would have been cheaper to develop and easier to package. You can also run leaner AFR’s with the Hemi attached to a real series hybrid. Ford and GM will both be offering a V8 and Turbo motors side by side, seems like they may snatch up some would be Ram customers.
The RamCharger is a series hybrid. It’s a safe bet to say that there will never be a Hemi series hybrid, since Stellantis already has such a powertrain and it uses the Pentastar V6.

silver billet

Reaction score
The RamCharger is a series hybrid. It’s a safe bet to say that there will never be a Hemi series hybrid, since Stellantis already has such a powertrain and it uses the Pentastar V6.

Yes, and if the published range is in any way accurate, then adding a bigger gas engine doesn't accomplish much except drain the tank even faster.

I think the other direction is the right way to go, maybe build something even a little smaller specifically for generator and there might even be more gas savings that way.

JExpedition07

Reaction score
I just realized I have been calling a parallel hybrid a series hybrid….that likely generated some confusion. Yes, you are correct. The ramcharger is a series hybrid. I was referring to parallel (ICE engine with motor attached), which are the V8 packages Ford and GM are bringing (much like Fords current 3.5 PowerBoost).

The engines won’t be used as a generator in that application but will have a direct connection to the drivetrain with an electric motor to assist at high load and to drive at low load. Some reports are saying the Ram Charger will be 20 MPG highway, which is bested by most parallel hybrids with a direct attachment to the ICE. Will be cool to see real world data anyhow. I am just glad to see GM and Ford are not getting rid of their V8 packages. Not everyone needs to go down the same path, there’s multiple ways to skin a cat.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just realized I have been calling a parallel hybrid a series hybrid….that likely generated some confusion. Yes, you are correct. The ramcharger is a series hybrid. I was referring to parallel (ICE engine with motor attached), which are the V8 packages Ford and GM are bringing (much like Fords current 3.5 PowerBoost).

The engines won’t be used as a generator in that application but will have a direct connection to the drivetrain with an electric motor to assist at high load and to drive at low load. Some reports are saying the Ram Charger will be 20 MPG highway, which is bested by most parallel hybrids with a direct attachment to the ICE. Will be cool to see real world data anyhow. I am just glad to see GM and Ford are not getting rid of their V8 packages. Not everyone needs to go down the same path, there’s multiple ways to skin a cat.
The Ramcharger will be 20mpg when not in battery power and only using the generator to drive wheels. When it's using battery power alone, there is no gas mileage. So unless you are driving long distances you can go a long time without using any gas.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, and if the published range is in any way accurate, then adding a bigger gas engine doesn't accomplish much except drain the tank even faster.

I think the other direction is the right way to go, maybe build something even a little smaller specifically for generator and there might even be more gas savings that way.
Honestly, I'd also like a more modestly spec'd Ramcharger. Shorter range, less horsepower, less weight, lower cost, even high payload, and like you said, a smaller gas engine. (Does Stellantis have a good, reliable, proven engine that fits the bill better than the Pentastar?)

Considering most of us are driving a Hemi with 395 HP and zero electric range, a Ramcharger with 100 mile EV range (instead of 141) and 500 HP (instead of 663) would still be a significant improvement, and honestly, still overkill. I'd take 400 HP if it meant greater range and lower cost. (And while 100 miles is about 30% less than 141, the battery required would be even more than 30% smaller, because it doesn't have to propel that extra battery weight).

No doubt a 663 HP, 615 lb-ft truck will be fun, but it's ironic that EVs are touted as planet savers (a claim I'm skeptical of, to say the least), but companies keep building BEV and PHEV beasts with massive batteries. PHEVs with 40-80 mile EV range and performance comparable to ICE make a lot more sense for most people.

I think the RamCharger makes more sense than a pure BEV, and maybe overkill is needed to get attention and sell, but I'd be happy with a PHEV that matches or slightly exceeds my Hemi-powered RAM, makes my (once a week) commute gas free, is practical for road trips, and is reasonably priced.

I plan on staying in my 2021 Longhorn for a good while longer, but the RamCharger is compelling; I hope it's a success and they offer multiple versions of it.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Even Tradesman? Sounds like what Toyota has done on the new Tacoma. Safety package is standard across the board. Of course, we have to remember that "standard" doesn't mean you save money. They just lump it into the MSRP. But still, if the base models can now GET the adaptive cruise, that's awesome.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
The Ramcharger will be 20mpg when not in battery power and only using the generator to drive wheels. When it's using battery power alone, there is no gas mileage. So unless you are driving long distances you can go a long time without using any gas.
the ramcharger engine does not power the wheels

"The Ramcharger presents a novel solution to range anxiety and towing concerns in the EV world: a gasoline engine that's used to power the battery, but not the wheels themselves."

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

"The Ramcharger presents a novel solution to range anxiety and towing concerns in the EV world: a gasoline engine that's used to power the battery, but not the wheels themselves."

I already said that and everyone here argued with me about it, GL.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t figure out why this is so hard for people to wrap their head around. This is all info that comes straight from stellantis.
- There’s a gasoline engine attached to a generator.
- There are electric drive motors attached to the wheels (when these motors receive power, they turn the wheels)
- When the gas engine turns the generator, the generator produces electricity.
- The electricity that is generated is put onto the high voltage bus.
- The battery, and the drive motors are on this high voltage bus.
- When the battery does not have enough charge to power the drive motors to keep the vehicle moving, the electricity generated by the generator that is spun by the engine will directly power the electric drive motors on the wheels in order to keep the wheels turning.

Another way you can look at this is if you have a Honda gas engine powered jobsite generator, an electric cord, and a circular saw.
The saw blade in the circular saw is the equivalent of the rims and tires (wheels) on a vehicle. Does the Honda gas engine of the jobsite generator ultimately power the saw blade (make the saw blade spin)?

silver billet

Reaction score

Its because "power" can be thought of two ways in this context, "mechanical" vs "electrical".

There is no transmission in this truck. The engine only ever generates electrical power, and the wheels only ever turn by electrical motors.

This is different compared to the volt and other cars/trucks where the electrical motors turn the wheel but the wheels also move directly from the gas engine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Yeah, that's what I said. The engine turns the generator which provides the electricity for the motors for the wheels.

silver billet

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd also like a more modestly spec'd Ramcharger. Shorter range, less horsepower, less weight, lower cost, even high payload, and like you said, a smaller gas engine. (Does Stellantis have a good, reliable, proven engine that fits the bill better than the Pentastar?)

Considering most of us are driving a Hemi with 395 HP and zero electric range, a Ramcharger with 100 mile EV range (instead of 141) and 500 HP (instead of 663) would still be a significant improvement, and honestly, still overkill. I'd take 400 HP if it meant greater range and lower cost. (And while 100 miles is about 30% less than 141, the battery required would be even more than 30% smaller, because it doesn't have to propel that extra battery weight).

No doubt a 663 HP, 615 lb-ft truck will be fun, but it's ironic that EVs are touted as planet savers (a claim I'm skeptical of, to say the least), but companies keep building BEV and PHEV beasts with massive batteries. PHEVs with 40-80 mile EV range and performance comparable to ICE make a lot more sense for most people.

I think the RamCharger makes more sense than a pure BEV, and maybe overkill is needed to get attention and sell, but I'd be happy with a PHEV that matches or slightly exceeds my Hemi-powered RAM, makes my (once a week) commute gas free, is practical for road trips, and is reasonably priced.

I plan on staying in my 2021 Longhorn for a good while longer, but the RamCharger is compelling; I hope it's a success and they offer multiple versions of it.

Is there a real downside to having 660 hp? If you put a 400 hp motor on it, you're just collecting whatever savings it takes to build the more powerful motor, the battery probably wouldn't change but instead give you more theoretical range. It's not like a gas engine where when you run 600 hp you trash the savings from a smaller engine. With electrical motors, if you're not using 600 hp it's not costing you anything (well, I'm sure there are very very minor efficiencies by running a motor capped at 400 ish hp, but it wouldn't be worth the tradeoff IMHO). And we absolutely need this range for towing, even then I suspect it will have less range vs my current truck but I can live with that (just carry a gerry can or two).

I like the specs on the Ram charger. It should be great towing machine which is how I look at all trucks. It's more of a 2500 at this point, 8 lug wheels, lots of power, lots of range.

I'd buy this much faster than the SO SST (depending on cost).

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t figure out why this is so hard for people to wrap their head around. This is all info that comes straight from stellantis.
- There’s a gasoline engine attached to a generator.
- There are electric drive motors attached to the wheels (when these motors receive power, they turn the wheels)
- When the gas engine turns the generator, the generator produces electricity.
- The electricity that is generated is put onto the high voltage bus.
- The battery, and the drive motors are on this high voltage bus.
- When the battery does not have enough charge to power the drive motors to keep the vehicle moving, the electricity generated by the generator that is spun by the engine will directly power the electric drive motors on the wheels in order to keep the wheels turning.

Another way you can look at this is if you have a Honda gas engine powered jobsite generator, an electric cord, and a circular saw.
The saw blade in the circular saw is the equivalent of the rims and tires (wheels) on a vehicle. Does the Honda gas engine of the jobsite generator ultimately power the saw blade (make the saw blade spin)?
Some people want to argue just to argue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/