5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rebel 5.7 eTorque Long Crank/No Start/Multiple DTCs

Deezl

Reaction score
Hey all! First Post, after being a member for quite a few years. I've owned no less than 8 Dodge/Ram trucks since 2004, all bought new. My current ride, a 2024 Rebel CC 5'7" eTorque experienced an underbody "thud" this afternoon, while slowly backing into a spot at the local landfill. A close inspection of the underbody and site did not turn up any debris or damage. HOWEVER, the Check Engine Light illuminated, accompanied by the "ding" a few miles down the highway, after a brisk acceleration up to the usual 80 mph (the speed limit is 65, but you'll get rear-ended at that speed). Thinking that it was a random "hiccup", I went home, changed clothes, and went to the gym. After about an hour in the gym, the truck remote-started just fine, no long crank, but on the way home, I decided to "goose it" a little, and the truck herked and jerked, almost as if misfiring/tranny clutches engaging and disengaging. Got her in the garage, after nursing it home, as the sputtering continued throughout the two mile drive. I feared that she would leave me stranded on the side of the road, within view of my house. Once in the garage, I hooked up my primitive OBDII scan tool, and received SEVERAL codes. U0120 - Network, C18D8 - Chassis, Powertrain Codes P0132, P0138, P0152, P0158, P1128, P1129, P1738, and U1817 - Network. I removed the negative battery cable, while I went to the can, again inspected the underside, all wires/hoses/everything. I even reseated all of the fuses and relays under the hood. I reconnected the negative battery cable, and experienced all of the codes immediately, along with long cranks with no start, sputtering, starting briefly, and even one or two normal starts at random times. The auto start-stop "Circle Arrow with an "A" in it, and an exclamation mark to the right of it accompanies the Check Engine Light now. The fuel pump is running (I can hear it, and even cycled it, as if priming a heavy duty diesel). Looks like I'm going to have to have my new (1,100mi) $80,000 Delmonico Red brick towed to the dealership this Monday. If I get one word of ineptitude/denial from the Service Dept. I'm coming back with a lawyer so fast, they'll think he or she was in my back pocket. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240412_200751_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_200751_Torque.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240412_200822_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20240412_200822_Torque.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 19

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would venture to guess that all those p-codes are due to the canbus/loss of communications.
C18D8, can`t find it in Alldata.
As far as what is taking down the bus, could be anything from a bad module to wiring, grounds etc.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would venture to guess that all those p-codes are due to the canbus/loss of communications.
C18D8, can`t find it in Alldata.
As far as what is taking down the bus, could be anything from a bad module to wiring, grounds etc.
Nah, O2 sensor circuit high codes would be most likely wiring or PCM issue. Bus faults set many Ucodes.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nah, O2 sensor circuit high codes would be most likely wiring or PCM issue. Bus faults set many Ucodes.
Agreed... to a degree.
Must look at the bigger picture, beyond some O2 sensors tripping. PCM not talking to TCM, ECM...
I am just an electronics tech. not a "pro" dealer service person.

Last edited:

Deezl

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! 👍 I got her to fire up this afternoon, after several long cranks, to include a try at the Remote Start. I "poked my finger" in the fuel filler, after she sat overnight, and there was a vacuum. Is this normal? I drove her around the neighborhood (45mph max) for about two miles, no "jerking/sputtering", and the Battery Voltage was hovering between 11.7v and 11.9v. Bad motor/generator, ground, wiring? Also, I double/triple checked all of the wiring and connections that I could see (with the sound "wiggle and make sure it's tight methodology), and everything looked/felt normal. All of the connections to the motor/generator and the belts are nominal. Hell, I even found the hidden fuse block under the driver's side dash, and made sure they were all pushed in (most all of my fuses were able to be pushed in slightly). In the end, she's sitting on the trickle charger for the next day, in hoped that I can drive her to the dealership, instead of having her towed. She only has 1,100mi on the clock, and ZERO scratches. I've had bad experience with tow truck and shop personnel not giving a damn, and putting their own "customizations" in the paint in the past. 😞 OH! Almost forgot. found an oil leak/oil migration between the bellhousing and transmission. Photos of today's DTC's and the oil leak attached.

RAM had better make this right. I have always had good luck with all of my RAM, Jeep and Dodge vehicles ($600,000+ since 2004), but I'm not "brand-loyal", and I have means. I just want something that works, is reliable, and does what I need (highway and moderate to somewhat sketchy overlanding, camping and fishing in the Rocky Mountains.) There are plenty of suitable trucks out there (2500 Power Wagon/Rebel [Rambox is nice], ZR2, AT4X, Rubicon, Tremor 🤮[the PowerBoost, as many problems as it has, is ideal for powering my needs in austere environments], but I enjoy the ride and tech in the RAM.

28-year USAF Aerospace Ground Equipment Mech., so I may be a little "particular", when it comes to leaks, torque specs, and the like...🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• 20240413_200013.jpg
    20240413_200013.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20240413_193053_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20240413_193053_Torque.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20240413_193101_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20240413_193101_Torque.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240413_193349_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20240413_193349_Torque.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed... to a degree.
Must look at the bigger picture, beyond some O2 sensors tripping. PCM not talking to TCM, ECM...
I am just an electronics tech. not a "pro" dealer service person.
You are right, wiring never caused a problem Mr Electronics tech. Connector XY235A has never had water in it, how would I know about that connector? Now go look at those active faults, let us know how again the canbus is causing active O2 sensor codes?

If you want to mock me go ahead. I take pride in my job. I respect my customers, I do right by them. I don't disrespect them, I don't disrespect my colleagues. Every repair, ever person, ever car is respected and treated with care. Yes I am a dealer technician, yes I have reached out to individuals on here and given them 1 on 1 support and advice on how to get issues resolved at the dealer level. So yes I am a "pro" at a dealership, if I left the dealership I would still be a "pro".

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
found an oil leak/oil migration between the bellhousing and transmission.
Unfortunately looks like rear main seal from the picture, at least from my experience and seeing that in lowq mileage 5.7 hemi vehicles before.

Deezl

Reaction score
Unfortunately looks like rear main seal from the picture, at least from my experience and seeing that in lowq mileage 5.7 hemi vehicles before.
My thoughts, exactly. Either that, or migration from the pan gasket, or somewhere higher? I've rebuilt engines from 4BT's to Gas Turbines, and have seen oil leaks migrate in every direction, even up... But rear main is my prime suspect. Hope they keep it over 30 days, so I can start the buyback. Looks like a Power Wagon is in my future.

Last edited:

Deezl

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I appreciate and look forward to any and all thoughts and diagnosis that you all provide. Please, keep this thread civil, and keep the disagreements relegated to IM's. Let's keep helping each other, and keep this thread on track....PLEASE, and thank you.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are right, wiring never caused a problem Mr Electronics tech. Connector XY235A has never had water in it, how would I know about that connector? Now go look at those active faults, let us know how again the canbus is causing active O2 sensor codes?

If you want to mock me go ahead. I take pride in my job. I respect my customers, I do right by them. I don't disrespect them, I don't disrespect my colleagues. Every repair, ever person, ever car is respected and treated with care. Yes I am a dealer technician, yes I have reached out to individuals on here and given them 1 on 1 support and advice on how to get issues resolved at the dealer level. So yes I am a "pro" at a dealership, if I left the dealership I would still be a "pro".
"I am just an electronics tech. not a "pro" dealer service person."
So you all can take my opinions with a grain of salt.
I used to work on this **** for living a long time ago, no longer thank goodness.

As far as mocking someone, nah, I don`t have time for that.

Carry on.

Deezl

Reaction score
Well, I put her on a flatbed and she's sitting at the service department. I'm going there at 7am tomorrow. I'll let everyone know what's going on.

UPDATE 20240415: Dropped her off at the dealer. Was told 45 days, because they only had one tech. 🤣. I said, oh well....lemon law, then. Then, I was told that those codes could be from a bad 12v battery. 🤔. Who knows? These trucks have how many computers? It could be possible, I guess. Oh! And, was told that the "oil" at the rear of the engine could be assembly grease. Hmm. We'll see.

Last edited:

Deezl

Reaction score
Update: Service called. Says it's a failty Motor generator/starter. I guess we'll see about the petroleum on the back of the bell housing at a later date. I'll just squirt some degreaser on it, and keep an eye on it?

Last edited:

Deezl

Reaction score
I charged it overnight, drive it on the flatbed, and they told me it needs a new starter/generator. They won't have the parts for at least a week.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow, crazy that the MGU crapped out that soon. Hopefully they get you squared up quickly.

Deezl

Reaction score
Things is, the service advisor said they normally have one in stock, but just replaced one last week. 🤔

Deezl

Reaction score
Dealership GM was less than enthusiastic (couldn't care at all) about getting me into a loaner. Ram Customer Care is helping me get into a rental (Thank you!). I'm going to give Service a call on Monday (weekly check-in), and check status of parts/repair. We shall see, but I highly doubt they've done anything about the oil leak, except spray degreaser up into the bellhousing. I wonder what that will do to the longevity of the rear main seal, or front main seal of the transmission/torque convertor. I know that when I was a flight line mechanic, degreasers were a no-no on gaskets.

@RamCares send me an IM, please.

Deezl

Reaction score
Just got a call from the Service Advisor. New Motor/Generator installed, then popped after 10- minutes. He says that the hybrid control module/battery pack (I guess they're packaged together?) needs to be replaced, and he cannot order one direct, so a STAR case will be opened. Let's see how long this one plays out. He asked if I had received a loaner vehicle yet, and I said that no one had called me. He was surprised, and went and talked to the admin personnel. They don't have any loaners, and "I'm the only name on the waiting list". Too late. I took Ram US Customer Service up on their offer, and went out and got a rental (Grand Cherokee), which could potentially cost them thousands (at $100/day). I left a message with my case advisor, and let her know that there is a vehicle on the lot ($3k less than my truck) and I would take that one......or, I can get a lawyer when the buyback period comes (30 business days, in Colorado), and leave the CDJR brand for good.

Users who are viewing this thread