5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Dodge Ram Laramie won’t start with only 200 miles

KnightJ35se

Reaction score
My first 2024 Dodge ram Laramie night edition. I purchase the brand new truck with exactly 200 miles on 1/16/24 @ 1630 hours . I drive it locally to get food bring it back with 215 miles . I park it over night for about 12 hours and the truck needs to get jump brought to the dealer on 1/17/24 @0700 hours . The dealer claims they give me a new battery , they had the truck for 8 hours and a then the truck is good for a week with minimal driving until 01/26/24 @1900 hours . I was stuck in the rain having to have it jumped and brought to the dealer the next day for the same issues that the truck went in for originally having to be jumped and this time I had an engine light that said power train malfunction indicator light . The dealer told me it’s an issue either the new battery and the cold I’m located in New York . Fast forward the dealer had my truck for 4 days and they told me they don’t know when I’m getting back . If anyone has an solution please assist I’m new to forums and this type of truck

Attachments

• IMG_7022.jpeg
    IMG_7022.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7349.jpeg
    IMG_7349.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6940.jpeg
    IMG_6940.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 48

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Clearly your only solutions is to trade it for that yellow trx.. my monies still on the battery bet the replacement battery isn’t good either. The cold only has so much to do with it, if guys in Canada don’t have this issues theres no reason the cold in New York can be blamed. Talk to the service manager have them swap the battery again and test the nee battery several times to make sure it’s not defective as well. Yes cold can kill old older weak batteries but this shouldn’t be the case with a new one.

KnightJ35se

Reaction score
Clearly your only solutions is to trade it for that yellow trx.. my monies still on the battery bet the replacement battery isn’t good either. The cold only has so much to do with it, if guys in Canada don’t have this issues theres no reason the cold in New York can be blamed. Talk to the service manager have them swap the battery again and test the nee battery several times to make sure it’s not defective as well. Yes cold can kill old older weak batteries but this shouldn’t be the case with a new one.
Service manager did change the battery and I was told they had to do a battery reconfiguration, battery pack, upgrade with software that just came out yesterday supposedly. The truck had to sit for 24 hours . And then today I was told it’s a national wide issue and I can’t get the truck back sounds like a safety issue . I screwed up by trading in my old Toyota Tacoma with 100 k still ran and shine . To ram fresh off the lot and corporate won’t do anything

ramlonghornsocal

Reaction score
2024 Limited Longhorn here. Bought two weeks ago. After a week wouldn’t start in driveway. Dealer came and picked it up, replaced battery. Said there were no known issues. Now second week later on a trip some 600 miles away in Arizona (with kids in car seats) and won’t start again. Curious to hear what else they said about nationwide issue? Also regretting this purchase.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
are you reading this thread?

KnightJ35se

Reaction score
2024 Limited Longhorn here. Bought two weeks ago. After a week wouldn’t start in driveway. Dealer came and picked it up, replaced battery. Said there were no known issues. Now second week later on a trip some 600 miles away in Arizona (with kids in car seats) and won’t start again. Curious to hear what else they said about nationwide issue? Also regretting this purchase.
No answer yet but just told they’re keeping my car and it’s a nationwide issues they’re aware of . Frustrating because it’s the last gen before hybrid and they had the same models before why is it an issue now

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No answer yet but just told they’re keeping my car and it’s a nationwide issues they’re aware of . Frustrating because it’s the last gen before hybrid and they had the same models before why is it an issue now
I believe it's an app issue, keeping the truck awake. Read the link posted a few posts up.

And your 2024 is a mild hybrid with the eTorque, the last without it were the 2022s.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I believe it's an app issue, keeping the truck awake. Read the link posted a few posts up.

And your 2024 is a mild hybrid with the eTorque, the last without it were the 2022s.
Shhh don't let him know about the 48v hybrid battery behind passenger side rear seats, or that he doesn't have an alternator.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Look again, that's a Rebel.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had to look at the picture 3 times AFTER I read your comment because I realized.
I suck.

Trade it for a TRX anyways.

Wth did they make the Rebels in yellow lol

Trx must be in the showroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ramlonghornsocal

Reaction score

Thanks - was on mobile phone trying to figure this out and didn't see that thread. I see it now, and there is a Reddit thread here with same issue by some users. Was able to jump it and drive seven hours home. It only dies after an evening of battery drain - either due to app or something with a sensor. Some of the lights on dash running when car was off, and even when battery was dead.

malone

Reaction score
I have the same problem, the truck is just 2 weeks old......it's horrible. Please keep us posted as to what your dealer says about this problem. Thank you

mplaramie

Reaction score
There was a case sent out today. The telematics box is staying on to try and look for updates. This is draining the battery. I had seen it today on the forum in another post. Credit to @Jimmy07

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240202_212902_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240202_212902_Chrome.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 28

KnightJ35se

Reaction score
I have the same problem, the truck is just 2 weeks old......it's horrible. Please keep us posted as to what your dealer says about this problem. Thank you
The latest news I got as of 02/02/24 @ 1800 hours after the dealer having my truck for two days they needed two more days to diagnostic it . They told me they’re; “aware that the ram app is pinging the car which is keeping the car awake and draining my battery, some cars the cluster is staying on at night and or the radio light “. The dealer said they are waiting to hear from corporate to have a resolution by mid next week which would be 02/07/24. So car is sitting aimless at the dealer. Good luck talking to corporate they’re useless like the trucks .

SilverRams83

Reaction score
New here to the forum. Hi everyone. I wanted to share my experience so far. I just recently traded my 2018 1500 in for a 2024 Built to Serve edition on Jan 6. I drove it the next day to the store and to work the day after that. Failed to start due to dead battery on Jan 9th. I didn’t buy it from my local dealer, but I was pressed for time because I had to get to work so I took it there. I purchased it at a dealership an hour away because I got a better deal for the same truck and more for my trade. Anyways I thought I was going to have to have it towed, but roadside assistance jumped it from my house. I then took it in to the dealership. They were backed up with work and wouldn’t look at it at first, but they eventually did. They said they tested the battery and that it was fine. So I drove it to work and back the rest of the week. Saturday, Jan 13, it failed to start because of drained battery. That night I went and bought a battery jumper pack. I made an appointment at the dealership where I bought it and took it in on the 19th. They replaced the battery and it went to get window tint, but I picked it up on the 27th. Drove it until Jan 31 and it failed to start leaving to work. Dealership gave me the runaround, tried to get me take it to the local shop, Ramcare was useless and I didn’t know what to do. Started to research lemon laws and talked to a few law firms. Then I get a call from the GM to bring it in and they’d fix it. So I took it in today and they said they had an idea of what it is and that they can fix it. I’m supposed to get an update on Monday. I did some troubleshooting of my own when it wouldn’t start the second time. I didn’t notice any lights coming on in the dash. I did notice the usb lights under the radio would stay on for about 30 minutes and then shut off. I sat in the truck and locked the door during a trip to the store. I waited until all the lights were off including the usb lights. 10-15 minutes later the usb lights came back on. I have no clue if other lights were coming on during the night while parked, but I suspect at a minimum that something was waking the truck up and drawing the battery down. I also showed the dealership the Star Online Pub that mplaramie posted and the service advisor said it’s an easy fix. Not sure how that is if they have to trace every module. I’ll post updates when I get them. At this point I am regretting trading my 18 in.

Lungs414

Reaction score
My first 2024 Dodge ram Laramie night edition. I purchase the brand new truck with exactly 200 miles on 1/16/24 @ 1630 hours . I drive it locally to get food bring it back with 215 miles . I park it over night for about 12 hours and the truck needs to get jump brought to the dealer on 1/17/24 @0700 hours . The dealer claims they give me a new battery , they had the truck for 8 hours and a then the truck is good for a week with minimal driving until 01/26/24 @1900 hours . I was stuck in the rain having to have it jumped and brought to the dealer the next day for the same issues that the truck went in for originally having to be jumped and this time I had an engine light that said power train malfunction indicator light . The dealer told me it’s an issue either the new battery and the cold I’m located in New York . Fast forward the dealer had my truck for 4 days and they told me they don’t know when I’m getting back . If anyone has an solution please assist I’m new to forums and this type of truck
Curious ....is that security dodge in Nassau ?

SilverRams83

Reaction score
I just wanted to post an update. I got my truck back from the dealership tonight. They reset the Global Telematics Box. Hopefully no more battery drain, but it’s not a fix for the actual issue. I guess this is the workaround for now. I’ll know if a few days if the battery drains again. I did notice that when I locked my doors, the gauge cluster and radio surround lights stayed on for a minute and then shut off. They didn’t do that before. The USB lights turned off though. I don’t see them coming back on for now. I’ll post the invoice information and the connected service update the service advisor gave me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 23

SilverRams83

Reaction score
Here’s a list of affected vehicles.

Attachments

• image.jpg