5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 RAMBOX Cargo Management with soft Folding Tonneau Warning

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah tell them to eat the restocking fee, or give you the silver rails for free.

There are not going to be after market rails you can get.
There is an extremely small market for it, and it's been 4 years so far (it existed in 2018\2019) for the gen 5.
Only affects people with a 1500, Ramboxes, limited, night edition.

I am NOT sure if you get a 1500 Limited with Ramboxes but NOT another package that forces the tri-fold if you would get silver rails because you don't get the soft cover, or if they still give you black rails because Ramboxes.
Mine is a '19 Limited with Ramboxes, no night edition. But it did come with the factory tri fold, which likely f'd it with the black rails!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine is a '19 Limited with Ramboxes, no night edition. But it did come with the factory tri fold, which likely f'd it with the black rails!
They change the packages each years.
For a 2022 if you don't get night edition you don't get a cover.

Cover might of been standard on a 2019, not sure.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They change the packages each years.
For a 2022 if you don't get night edition you don't get a cover.

Cover might of been standard on a 2019, not sure.
It wasn't part of a package. They checked the box and got that option. The tri fold cover was likely a stand alone factory option in 2022 as well...it is in 2023.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
They checked the box and got that option....
Oh, so you explicitly had the soft cover on your build sheet not from a package?
The problem now is without the packages that include the tri-fold the Limited is a rather basic truck. Night edition has a lot of important parts like auto dimming side view mirrors.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah tell them to eat the restocking fee, or give you the silver rails for free.

There are not going to be after market rails you can get.
There is an extremely small market for it, and it's been 4 years so far (it existed in 2018\2019) for the gen 5.
Only affects people with a 1500, Ramboxes, limited, night edition.

I am NOT sure if you get a 1500 Limited with Ramboxes but NOT another package that forces the tri-fold if you would get silver rails because you don't get the soft cover, or if they still give you black rails because Ramboxes.
This right here is the question. Who got a Limited with RamBoxes without Night Edition or a factory installed soft cover? What rails did you get? I know I have one on order like that but no clue now what it will come with.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh, so you explicitly had the soft cover on your build sheet not from a package?
The problem now is without the packages that include the tri-fold the Limited is a rather basic truck. Night edition has a lot of important parts like auto dimming side view mirrors.
Yep....but she has the level 1. And I agree...amazing how many Limiteds are out there that are pretty basic trucks...
1cf4687d51b4c89818efc88b0f1b4cbd.jpg

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everything having to do with mirrors on the Night Edition is all standard equipment...they shouldn't even list all of that as if the package was giving you all those extras.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For the couple of you waiting, I just got off the phone with my salesman. It is still not on the shipping truck yet, but still expected this week. He said as soon as it arrives, he will take a pic of the rails, and send it to me.

6of36

Reaction score
Yep....but she has the level 1. And I agree...amazing how many Limiteds are out there that are pretty basic trucks...
1cf4687d51b4c89818efc88b0f1b4cbd.jpg
What year is that sticker? Level 1 is half the price, but include half the equipment.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ohh ok. I should have looked at your window sticker closer. The Truck Bed Cargo Divider is one thing I really want and was worried I wasn't going to get it with the combo I ordered. But sounds like I should still have it 🤞
You're going to be disappointed if you didn't get the bed utility group (BUG). You will not get the cargo divider unless you also get the BUG. It doesn't automatically come with the rambox option like it did on 4th gens.

RBJ

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM Limited Longhorn that came with the black rails and soft tonneau cover.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM Limited Longhorn that came with the black rails and soft tonneau cover.
I don't know what a 2021 Limited Longhorn comes with the 10th anniversary edition but a 2022 Limited with the 10th edition does not come with a soft tri-fold.
The night or red editions force the soft tri-fold, with the 10th you would need to manually add it.

It does show black rails at part of the 10th edition, noted as
"4 Adjustable Cargo Tie-Down Hooks by Mopar®"

So at least on a 2022 the BUG or any other package (10th, and night ed) that includes "4 Adjustable Cargo Tie-Down Hooks by Mopar®" triggers the black rails. I don't see any silver rails on any of the rambox configs. In fact I think if I recall they listed silver rails as "not compatible" with my vin, which obviously was incorrect.

On the 2023s you get the cargo divider with BUG or the Elite Package.
Night edittion doesn't give you the cargo divider but does give you the soft cover still.
BUG and elite package also appear to include black rails without a cover.

So looks like no matter what config of 2023 Limited with Rambox you get, you are stuck needing to buy silver rails out of pocket.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know what a 2021 Limited Longhorn comes with the 10th anniversary edition but a 2022 Limited with the 10th edition does not come with a soft tri-fold.
The night or red editions force the soft tri-fold, with the 10th you would need to manually add it.

It does show black rails at part of the 10th edition, noted as
"4 Adjustable Cargo Tie-Down Hooks by Mopar®"

So at least on a 2022 the BUG or any other package (10th, and night ed) that includes "4 Adjustable Cargo Tie-Down Hooks by Mopar®" triggers the black rails. I don't see any silver rails on any of the rambox configs. In fact I think if I recall they listed silver rails as "not compatible" with my vin, which obviously was incorrect.

On the 2023s you get the cargo divider with BUG or the Elite Package.
Night edittion doesn't give you the cargo divider but does give you the soft cover still.
BUG and elite package also appear to include black rails without a cover.

So looks like no matter what config of 2023 Limited with Rambox you get, you are stuck needing to buy silver rails out of pocket.
I can't speak to '22 or '23 models since I haven't shopped for those, but on prior 5th gen models it was simple, if you got the factory soft tri-fold cover you got black rails. If you didn't get the soft cover you got silver rails. Whether or not the cover was included varied between trim levels.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can't speak to '22 or '23 models since I haven't shopped for those, but on prior 5th gen models it was simple, if you got the factory soft tri-fold cover you got black rails. If you didn't get the soft cover you got silver rails. Whether or not the cover was included varied between trim levels.
Maybe.
When you add just rails the picture on the website shows the black rails, but it's kind of hard to trust the website. The pictures generally have been accurate to what you get though.,

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe.
When you add just rails the picture on the website shows the black rails, but it's kind of hard to trust the website. The pictures generally have been accurate to what you get though.,
I'm not seen an option on the website to add just the rails. Which year/model are you building that shows an option to add just the rails?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm not seen an option on the website to add just the rails. Which year/model are you building that shows an option to add just the rails?
On the Limiteds look at BUG. It adds the rails. They call it Cargo tie downs, but those cargo tie downs are attached to the rails. It shows in the picture too.
Also elite edition adds rails but no cover.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On the Limiteds look at BUG. It adds the rails. They call it Cargo tie downs, but those cargo tie downs are attached to the rails. It shows in the picture too.
Also elite edition adds rails but no cover.
Right, they are part of other option packages. I just wanted to be clear on what you were saying. I'm assuming you misspoke when you said "When you add just the rails", as they are not a stand-alone option. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they discontinued the silver rails. Seemed a little odd that they offered two different variations of them for the Rambox beds. Hopefully the aftermarket is catching up with this change.

6of36

Reaction score
Right, they are part of other option packages. I just wanted to be clear on what you were saying. I'm assuming you misspoke when you said "When you add just the rails", as they are not a stand-alone option. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they discontinued the silver rails. Seemed a little odd that they offered two different variations of them for the Rambox beds. Hopefully the aftermarket is catching up with this change.
When I talked to my salesman this morning, to have him update me, so I can update others, He said he will update, but he hasn't seen silver rails, that he has ever noticed.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I talked to my salesman this morning, to have him update me, so I can update others, He said he will update, but he hasn't seen silver rails, that he has ever noticed.
Haha, not surprising. Some sales reps do their homework and learn about the vehicles they sell. But most know very little about them. The person who sold me my last two trucks knew nothing about the different rails.

Users who are viewing this thread