5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 RAMBOX Cargo Management with soft Folding Tonneau Warning

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Haha, not surprising. Some sales reps do their homework and learn about the vehicles they sell. But most know very little about them. The person who sold me my last two trucks knew nothing about the different rails.
I give them a little benefit of the doubt. It's hard for anyone to know every combination of every vehicle they sell. They should however do everything in their power to find an answer. I ordered this one through the same salesman I used last time. I like him. He seems honest, and has no problem, talking to me any time.I had to tell him that the remotes could be programmed to each drivers settings, he never knew that. I don't hold that against him. I was passing by a week or so ago, so I stopped by. He was away from his desk, so I just left, and texted him, that I had stopped by to scream at him where is ny truck. Then I texted him I was just screwing with him. He said he was sorry he missed me, but stop by any time. I called him this morning, and he answered the phone " hey trouble ".

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Right, they are part of other option packages. I just wanted to be clear on what you were saying. I'm assuming you misspoke when you said "When you add just the rails", as they are not a stand-alone option. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they discontinued the silver rails. Seemed a little odd that they offered two different variations of them for the Rambox beds. Hopefully the aftermarket is catching up with this change.
They can't discontinue the silver rails unless you never want to be able to mount a cover on a truck with Ramboxes.
Technically the silver rails are for non-ramboxes. The black rails are all that is offered for "Ramboxes" despite the silver rails fitting, and being required for any after market cover.

6of36

Reaction score
Sounds like some miscommunication between the factory, and cover producers. ( Even Mopar's are not built by Chrysler). I think Darksteel has it right that silver is for standard bed, and black for Ramboxes. It sounds like the hard cover manufacturers assumed they used silver on Ramboxes. I'm just guessing, but maybe the classic used the same, and it changed for gen5, but they didn't catch it?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like some miscommunication between the factory, and cover producers. ( Even Mopar's are not built by Chrysler). I think Darksteel has it right that silver is for standard bed, and black for Ramboxes. It sounds like the hard cover manufacturers assumed they used silver on Ramboxes. I'm just guessing, but maybe the classic used the same, and it changed for gen5, but they didn't catch it?
I don't see the miscommunication.

The silver rails are factory for non-Rambox trucks (there are some black rails on a TRX that are different then the "black" or "silver" rails on the regular 1500s.

This is what I see when I look for covers.
If you don't see it talk about rails, it makes the assumption you have the regular silver rails.

1676329333466.png

6of36

Reaction score
I don't see the miscommunication.

The silver rails are factory for non-Rambox trucks (there are some black rails on a TRX that are different then the "black" or "silver" rails on the regular 1500s.

This is what I see when I look for covers.
If you don't see it talk about rails, it makes the assumption you have the regular silver rails.

View attachment 151669
Your post shows it saying Rambox with silver rails, which seems is not made. That is the miscommunication. They did not get communication saying all Rambox rails are black, or so it seems.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Your post shows it saying Rambox with silver rails, which seems is not made. That is the miscommunication. They did not get communication saying all Rambox rails are black, or so it seems.
No. You are misreading it.
The cover only works if you have Silver Rails.
It's 100% straight forward. If you have Rambox with black rails the cover will NOT fit.

Do you need me to take a picture of my silver rails I had to install onto it?

There not does exist an after market cover that fix the rambox with black rails.

6of36

Reaction score
No. You are misreading it.
The cover only works if you have Silver Rails.
It's 100% straight forward. If you have Rambox with black rails the cover will NOT fit.

Do you need me to take a picture of my silver rails I had to install onto it?

There not does exist an after market cover that fix the rambox with black rails.
Exactly! There is no such thing. They do not make a hard cover to fit the rails they were built with. The manufacturers should have made them to fit the black rails they were built with. If it doesn't fit the rails it was built with, they should give you appropriate rails, like they do when you buy a soft cover. It's a mistake on the hard cover manufacturer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Exactly! There is no such thing. They do not make a hard cover to fit the rails they were built with. The manufacturers should have made them to fit the black rails they were built with. If it doesn't fit the rails it was built with, they should give you appropriate rails, like they do when you buy a soft cover. It's a mistake on the hard cover manufacturer.
Thats not how the world works.
Why is someone going to develop an item for such a small quantity of sales is nonsencial.
If you think Ramboxes are anything but a minority you are mistaken.

There is no way to use the existing black rails, have you even looked at them?
How do you expect to clamp down a cover?

The cover I linked in particular gives you TWO sets of rails to install, on top of the silver rails. There is nothing they can do about the existing joke of a rail.

6of36

Reaction score
Mine comes with a cover, so I don't care.

6of36

Reaction score
And the answer is... black rails. I don't know what the big deal is anyway with a soft top. I've used them for 25 years, and nobody has cut one to get in. Of course I don't live in a high crime area. If they can't see anything, they don't bother to break in. Even if they did, that's what insurance is for.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
And the answer is... black rails. I don't know what the big deal is anyway with a soft top. I've used them for 25 years, and nobody has cut one to get in. Of course I don't live in a high crime area. If they can't see anything, they don't bother to break in. Even if they did, that's what insurance is for.
LOL if you think car insurance is going to cover you for thef of cargo you are insane.

Just last week I transported brand new server equipment in my covered bed that was sold to a client for $265k and I was driving it on-site to install.
You think my car insurance policy will give me $265,000 to give to my company for the stolen equipment if someone cuts into a soft cover and it goes MIA?

If you are happy with the soft tri-fold thats fine. It's a good soft cover.
Some people CAN'T have a soft cover and need to project what we haul with a reasonable amount of security.

Mine comes with a cover, so I don't care.
Then stop posting on this thread bringing nothing of value to the conversation.

6of36

Reaction score
LOL if you think car insurance is going to cover you for thef of cargo you are insane.

Just last week I transported brand new server equipment in my covered bed that was sold to a client for $265k and I was driving it on-site to install.
You think my car insurance policy will give me $265,000 to give to my company for the stolen equipment if someone cuts into a soft cover and it goes MIA?

If you are happy with the soft tri-fold thats fine. It's a good soft cover.
Some people CAN'T have a soft cover and need to project what we haul with a reasonable amount of security.

Then stop posting on this thread bringing nothing of value to the conversation.
People were waiting for me to let them know which rails. Mine arrived today and I posted the answer. If your insurance wouldn't cover it, you have bad insurance. If it's company equipment their insurance should cover it.

Dschmid37

Reaction score
When I talked to my salesman this morning, to have him update me, so I can update others, He said he will update, but he hasn't seen silver rails, that he has ever noticed.
They have a White Limited on their lot with RamBoxes, no tonneau cover, and silver rails. I'm not sure how the trucks without RamBoxes are, but if you have them, it's the soft tri-fold cover that forces the black rails. No tonneau gets you silver rails.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
They can't discontinue the silver rails unless you never want to be able to mount a cover on a truck with Ramboxes.
Technically the silver rails are for non-ramboxes. The black rails are all that is offered for "Ramboxes" despite the silver rails fitting, and being required for any after market cover.
That's just an incorrect statement. There have been plenty of rambox equipped 1500's that were delivered by the factory with silver rails. The 2020 Laramie I bought came with silver rails because I didn't get the factory bed cover. As I already mentioned for '19 thru '21 rambox models, if you got the factory bed cover you got black rails. Otherwise you got silver rails.

firechef996

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 2023 limited with ram boxes, and BUG, but no tonneau cover comes with silver rails? I saw a 2022 with ram boxes and and no BUG and it had silver rails. Trying to figure out if my new order is gonna get black or silver. I opted out of the factory cover hoping for the silver rails..

6of36

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 2023 limited with ram boxes, and BUG, but no tonneau cover comes with silver rails? I saw a 2022 with ram boxes and and no BUG and it had silver rails. Trying to figure out if my new order is gonna get black or silver. I opted out of the factory cover hoping for the silver rails..
If you look at post 53, no cover is silver rails, but with a cover definitely black.

Attachments

• Tonneau.jpg
    Tonneau.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 13

RBJ

Reaction score
If you ordered the truck with Mopar’s tonneau cover, you will get black (not silver) rails.

6of36

Reaction score
I think if it has silver rails, it should have BUG. The only reason to have rails at all, without a cover is for the tie downs of the BUG.

Users who are viewing this thread